“Fab view of Kilimanjaro.”
Review of Buffalo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
Edinburgh
“Fab view of Kilimanjaro.”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We checked out several places before deciding to stay at the Buffalo. Our decision was based on reasonable price and clean bright room and it's only a short walk from the bus station but off the main road so quiet yet convenient for getting around. I always pay in Tanzanian shillings if possible as you usually get a better rate, so a double with fan was Tsh30,000, around $19 (or with aircon Tsh35,000). The room was clean, the net intact and the shower was great, hot with good water flow. Also had a cracking view of Kilimanjaro from my window, especially early in the morning. Breakfast wasn't very exciting, just bread, juice, fruit and coffee but with an option to buy omlettes etc. Service at breakfast seemed to depend on timing and the number of peole in before you. They hadn't quite grasped the concept of replenishing as things were used so when all the glasses, or bread or whatever were finished then you'd have to wait for them to get more. Our room was cleaned thoroughly every day even changing the soap daily! Only bad point was coming back late one night after forgetting to buy bottled water and finding out the night staff couldn't sell me any. I've read other people's comments regarding reception being unfriendly and I think I should point out that in Tanzanian culture it is very rude not to greet people before asking for things which we westerners often forget. It only takes a few seconds to say good morning and how are you but will go a long way to improve your experience. I asked reception for suggestions on what to do in Moshi, how to get there by bus and they also arranged a taxi to the airport all done in a friendly helpful way.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mandy003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We got to this place based on the description of our fairly old guidebook, but this turned out to be a mistake. It's not the room, but the 'service' of the staff that makes me advise you to not stay here. The girls at the reception desk were very unwelcoming and unfriendly to start with, anything seemed to be to much effort for them. On top of that, within 10 minutes they tried to rip us off no less than 3 times; first we requested to see a $25 room, when we came back to reception to take this room it turned out this was the more expensive one $35. Then, the girl denied to give us back the change back ($10). Only after insisting in a rather direct way, she 'found out' the $10 note was indeed at her desk below. Eventually, when in the room, the paper on the door stated the rate of the room was 25.000 shilling, which is around $15, so not the $25 we paid. Back at the reception, the excuse was that 'some people just prefer to pay in dollars'... The unfriendly behaviour continued throughout our entire stay. I am sure you'll find a nicer place in Moshi with a welcoming atmosphere and more value for money!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shitsuka

Travelers are raving about these Moshi hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed February 16, 2012

An intact mosquito net is an important part of any hotel room in Tanzania. Holes seems to occur when the net doesn't really fit the size of the bed - and the edges on the bedframe cuts open the net - inviting thirsty mosquitoes to feast on whoever is inside.

Revenge may be sweet however, as aggrevated inhabitants wake up with more than a slight distaste against sleep-destroying flying insects, and finding an armada resting on their laurels within striking distance. If this often elaborate eye-for-an-eye drama has any part to play in the decline of the health of the mosquito nets at the Buffalo Hotel, I don't know.

Breakfast was rather poor.

The location is good, specially if you want easy access to a good internet connection and great food (the Indoitalian across the street).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simon U
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Even for someone used to traveling on a budget and staying in hostels I was disgusted by this place. Bugs (including BED BUGS), mosquito nets with gaping holes in them, no hot water, muddy footprints in the bathroom, dirt all over the floor in the bedroom, stained sheets, ceiling fans that don't work, (I was terrified that ours was going to drop on us during the night because it was shaking so badly even on the lowest setting), breakfast is a joke, and unfriendly staff.

Also, the day we got back exhausted from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro we turned in our laundry and, though they got it done quickly, they woke us up at 10pm that night to return it! Banged on our door till we got out of bed and opened it. Who does that?

We stayed in two different rooms here, so we didn't just have "bad luck" and stay in the one bad room.

The only "pro" to this place is the restaurant (NOT breakfast- dinner!). I ordered the butter chicken and it was delicious!

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtav
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I stayed for one night in December and thought the hotel was ok, but not great. The first room I was offered the key to turned out to be flooded so I immediately asked for another room! The mosquito net had holes in and the windows would not shut properly. There was also a lack of hot water. However, the bed was fairly comfy and the TV worked.

Its in a good location, about 10 minutes walk from Moshi bus station and not too far from some shops and supermarkets. There is also an italian opposite that is supposed to be good, but I didn't try.

The hotel restaurant was much better than I expected. The food was well spiced and a hefty portion. Most meals about 6-8,000/- Tsh. The breakfast consisted of fruit, bread and tea & coffee. There was an extra menu for sausages, eggs etc which you had to pay for.

Ok for the price but really nothing to shout about. However, for those on a budget and fairly easy going, a decent hotel. However, I am sure there are similar priced alternatives that would be better.

Room Tip: Check your room before you pay for it!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank iopo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I was with a small group when I checked in to this place. Now I suppose you could say that you get what you pay for, and this place is cheap. However I would say that it costs nothing to smile. The lady on the desk (Martina), seemed to find it a real chore to book us in, making us feel most welcome.....not!
Still it was cheap so we went on up. My room was ok, apart from the lack of hot water, but my friend found the bed in her room to be wet. On complaining to the oh so delightful Martina she replied "what do you want me to do about it. Hold the sheet up to the fan, it'll soon dry". With a lot of huffing and puffing she finally agreed to get the bedding changed. We stayed for one night before moving out to the zebra hotel 100 yds up the street - much better.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhys G
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We staid there with a group and there was no water. When I checked in in my room the receptionist opened the tap even when I said to close the tap, she refused and told me everything will be fine. Later my room was under water, and many cameras and lenses were destroyed. The manager refused first to come and when he came he didnt do anything to solve the problem. He even didnt write a letter for my insurance. So no help or solution at all. The other guests had no water at all. The next morning we got dry bread and only coffee for breakfast. No fruit (was finished alreay), no eggs (we had to pay extra for that), nothing. During our stay the staff was very unfriendly and not helpfull. Its a waste of your money to stay in this hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends