“Ndarakwai Ranch”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moshi
Ndarakwai Ranch Camp
Ranked #5 of 66 Specialty Lodging in Moshi
Illinois, United States
“Ndarakwai Ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ndarakwai Ranch was our last stop on a safari to Tanzania in the summer of 2012. It was absolutely amazing and I am so glad we stayed there. The service is impeccable - they cater to your every need. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. The accommodations were perfect. Every night they would put hot water bottles in our bed while we were at dinner. Dinner, too, was great. We went on walking safaris, night safaris, jeep safaris.... We actually saw a leopard and an aardvark on night safari. We would watch the sunset atop a treehouse viewing platform with a full service bar. We could watch the sunset as the zebras grabbed a quick drink of water. Ndarakwai is one of the most beautiful, relaxing and amazing places on earth. I truly cannot say enough about this incredible place. If you are ever in Tanzania you have to visit - it is not to be missed. I would live there if I could and go on safari everyday and watch the wildlife.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

A fabulous place. I never expected to feel pampered at a tent camp, but I did here. Everything I could want (except for hair dryers) was here or, if not, I could ask and it appeared. Fabulous wildlife with guides, warm welcoming staff, unbeatable food and drink, and on cold evenings, wrapped hot water bottles under the covers. Also, free wi-fi. Luxury. Plus the owners are involved in conservation, anti-poaching, and supporting the local schools. Definitely, a don't miss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

As part of a tour package we stayed in Ndarakwai Ranch. The camp is located on the west side of Mount Kilimanjaro. From JRO airport it is about a 2 hour drive with the last 45 minutes a bumpy non-paved road. Well worth the drive. You get to an oasis of serenity. We were given a warm welcome and explained how the camp worked. We were then shown to our (luxurious) tents. The tent is spacious, has cold/warm running water (warm water is heated by solar power), a very large comfortable bed, a sofa, 2 tables and a toilet. Outside is a veranda overlooking some grassland. Due to the canvas walls, you are really feeling part of nature. That also meant that one day we were woken up at 4.30a due to the screeching of the monkeys.
Everything at the camp was included in our tour package. We started with a nice lunch. Most parts of the meal comes from their own garden and everything is very tasteful. After lunch we went on a game drive. On the ranch they have plenty of zebra, wildebeest, giraffes and also eland, waterbuck, and baboons. A local driver takes you around. While we were there, there was a big group with 4 large jeeps. They went around the same time for their game drive. The premises are large and we did not see them at all during our drive. At the end of our drive we ended up in a tree house overlooking the watering hole. To our surprise, there was a bar after the first flight of stairs. At night we enjoyed a nice dinner, with the bushbabies coming to visit.

The next day we went for a morning walk with our guide and a guard (with gun - you never know what you encounter). The walk was great - we got to see many of the same animals but being so near to the them on foot gave a special dimension.
In the afternoon, one of of us visited the Masai village. He was there at 5.30p with the guide of the camp. The cattle was just being brought in. He was the only visitor and the women and children in the town seemed to enjoy showing him around.
At night we went for a night safari. Another great way to see the animals. Aside from the "usual" animals, we saw an aardvark, a kudu, and a springbok hare.

The location is a little out of the way but well worth the visit. The team at the ranch is friendly and helpful, the food is excellent and the animal encounters are great. One tip, we had this scheduled as a first stop on our safari. I highly recommend doing this camp first, before you go to Ngorongoro or other parks. After seeing so many animals in other areas, I am not sure I would have liked Ndarakwai as much if we went there at the end of our trip.

Room Tip: All tents are great
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ndarakwai, Owner at Ndarakwai Ranch Camp, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi EenJinUSA, thank you very much for your great review! Much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the treehouse and bar! Were are actually only an hour and fifteen minutes from the airport with the last 20 - 25 minutes on the graded road! Will pass on your regards to the guide who took you around! Thanks!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were there for 2 nights, during our honeymoon. It was our first stop and first experience in Africa. We could't have started better! The place itself it is breathtaking and very well equipted (toilets, hot water showers, wifi in the reception...), the food is to die for! from the breakfast to the dinner, everything was delicious. The staff was very attentive and kind. We did a walking safari with Thomas, and it was an incredible experience as well as visiting the Masais in the area.

The only downside, if you are a light sleeper and it is a bit windy, you might have troubles! The tents do move a little, but it was no prob for us.

If we can, in the future we will be back.... for a week! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I am an American living in Arusha -- who has done the safari experience many times. Ndarakwai is by far my favorite place to visit. I love what they have done to reforest the area, enable the expansion of wildlife, and conserve the environment. On top of that, the tented camp is rustic yet luxurious, and the ability to walk among the wildlife or view them from a treetop bar/viewing area is an experience unmatched. On top of that, the food is fantastic and fresh, with all of the ingredients coming straight from their farm. I suggest the lasagna! Honestly, I would drive all the way there and spend the night just for the lasagna. We have two young children, and were able to comfortably house our whole family in a larger tent with a king bed and two small cots. The managers make the experience very personal and customized to your liking and schedule, so you really cannot go wrong.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you need, and they will set you up perfectly.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Not only is Ndarakwai situated perfectly in one of the most beautiful places in the world, it is run by a superior, kind, and generous staff. I could write this review talking about how it was amazing that the toilets flushed and the hot showers were refreshing and beautiful or I could talk about how the wifi in reception unfortunately kept me in touch with reality or the outlets that kept all my equipment fully charged. But I'd rather spend time talking about the delicious homemade and homegrown food, the beautiful smiles of the staff who so generously serve you your meals, the animals that roam the camp with a sense of comfort and admiration, and the passion that one can hear in the voice of Peter, Eric, and Thomas as they work to educate and intrigue you-be it on a drive, around the dinner table, or on a walk from camp. I should also mention Ailsa who was so kind, helpful, and cheerful throughout the duration of our trip. And Bariki who I had the pleasure of meeting, unfortunately on our last day out.
The story of the camp itself is moving and being able to spend time with those who have grown up on the land develops a new sense of appreciation.
The food is unlike anything I've ever had. I can smell the hot soup and freshly baked bread (baked in a wood fired grill) right now. I have days when I crave the homemade hummus and fresh pita bread.
The luxury "tents" are amazing and so unique (they have them custom-made). The only reason I had trouble sleeping was because I was so excited for what I would see the next day. The heated bladders are a nice treat to get home to at night. I also had the pleasure of feeding the local bushbabies and sitting by the fire.
It's not everyday that someone gets to travel to Tanzania so if you're making the trek there, you must stay here and experience a unique, enlightening, and invigorating stay. You won't be let down.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Peter, Eric, Ailsa, Bariki, Thomas & crew made our family's visit a never to be forgotten experience. Everything from the exceptional game walks to the food was well executed in this camp. Although off the well beaten northern circuit path it should be considered for game viewing opportunities, on our first full day we saw a herd of no less than 20 elephant, 20 buffalo, many Impala, zebra, wildebeest, warthogs, and eland. Tents are well outfitted and the hot water is a plenty thanks to solar hot water heaters for each tent. Massai village experience was exceptional thanks to Thomas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moshi
Mount Kilimanjaro View Lodge
#1 of 1 in Engare Nanyuki
Stella Maris Lodge
Stella Maris Lodge
#2 of 66 in Moshi

Been to Ndarakwai Ranch Camp? Share your experiences!