“It's fiiine”

Ranked #38 of 68 Specialty Lodging in Moshi
Berlin, Germany
“It's fiiine”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Kilimanjaro Backpackers looking for a cheap accommodation. Not an easy task in Moshi. But this place, on the main road in trekking distance from the bus station, is at the lower end of the price scale.
We got a double room with a king size bed and a shared bathroom. Everything was clean, with intact mosquito nets.
There is a small communal area with travel books and a tellie, and a bar on the roof. Breakfast is also served on the roof - pancakes, fruits, coffee, tea. For lunch or dinner I suggest you step off the main streets and find a local joint. that's all the while cheaper than the Backpackers' restaurant.

There was no aircon or internet.

A word on tours: the Backpackers is happy to organize Kilimanjaro trips or visits to one of the other National Parks in the area. But you will also meet plenty of "guides" once you step out the door that will offer cheaper prices. It is on you to decide whether you believe the Backpackers' claim that they pay fair wages to their guides and staff or whether you look for cheap only... In case of the latter my preferred mode of action is to use local transport where available and organize as much as possible myself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I arrived quite late but was given a room which was very small but fine for the price. The bed was comfortable enough and the net was fine. The communal toilet and shower was clean and there was plenty of hot water. Liked the bar with the view over the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Williston Park, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Small, dirty room. Even the mosquito net was dirty and the way the net is hung from the ceiling makes it impossible to sleep without touching it. The toilets were difficult to flush and neither my husband nor I took a shower in the uninviting shower stall. Front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa D

Travelers are raving about these Moshi hotels

Reviewed December 20, 2010

the place is on the road and so noisy, the room are small and dirty, fan is not working... The single room is 12 $ wich i think is not a good deal, no funny place and bad service

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank ankotour
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Out of the 6 criteria to rate in this review, I'm only able to pass judgment on one: service. It was absolutely terrible. Upon arriving, our party of 8 found they'd double booked our rooms, which we'd booked a week previously, as the people in them had asked if they could have them for another night and, because the record book wasn't at reception at the time, nobody bothered to check and simply said yes they could.
The man at reception was completely unsympathetic and stood with a smug grin on his face the entire time while two members of our group argued with him, simply saying over and over again "It wasn't my fault" and "What would you have done?". After about half an hour of arguing, he begrudgingly agreed to find us somewhere else to stay and sent someone out to wander the streets of Moshi to find a hotel with rooms available for 8 people. About 10 minutes later he returned saying there was a hotel nearby that had two rooms that could sleep four people in each and led us across the road to a mosquito infested hell hole, and the two rooms to sleep four were in fact twin rooms with the two single beds pushed together. Those rooms could barely have slept 2, never mind 4.
The customer service was absolutely appauling, and it seems clear that the staff out of this hotel only care about getting money out of whichever Mzungu they can, whether or not that means completely screwing over other potential customers. To top it all off, when we asked them to call us taxis, the cars that turned up were disgraceful even by Tanzanian standards (i.e. they were missing the wing mirrors and i think our driver had been drinking) and tried to charge us double what we'd been paying all holiday for the 30 minute drive back to Boma N'gombe.
For the sake of your own blood pressure, do NOT stay at this hostel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Schmaura
Halifax
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was booked in for 7 nights at the Kili backpackers. This had been booked on my behalf by the organisation where I was undertaking voluntary work - this organisation has used the Backpackers before so is well-known to them so they knew it was a definite booking.

When I arrived there in the evening, they hadn't kept my room. The woman on reception didn't even apologise when she said she'd given it away. She was rude. She told me to go to the nearby Kindoroko Hotel, owned by the same management, and said they'd charge me the rate from the Backpackers. When I got there they refused, and I had to pay quite a bit more for the room. The room was horrible and the bathroom dirty so I moved first thing next morning to a much, much nicer place and stayed the week there.

What annoyed me most was that when the organisation that I was working for emailed the manager at the Backpackers to complain that the booking hadn't been kept and to try to ensure that they would honour future bookings, they lied and said that I hadn't got there till after 9.30 p.m. I'd been there at least an hour before which the driver who'd collected me from the airport verified.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Jennifer P
Cheltenham
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I booked in to Kilimanjaro BAckpackers on the strength of the reviews and all I can say is ? The room was dirty with paint peeling off the walls, the fan didn't work and there were no mosquito nets. The shared toilet and shower stank of stale urine and were shared between at least 10 rooms including a dorm (there was only one toilet and 1 shower). For this we were charged $20! There are lots of good places to stay in Moshi such as Hill Street, Buffalo and Newcastle all for much less money and you'll get ensuite, fans that work and mosquito nets. Don't get ripped off, have a walk around town (it's very small) and check out some of the other hotels, pay less and get much much more!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple