Recommended experiences in and around Moshi
from $643.00
from $903.00
from $1,460.00
More Info
All reviews lemosho route day safari summit night uhuru peak climb kilimanjaro heart rate whole team local company these guys hot tea making sure excellent reviews team spirit altitude sickness our waiter food was great mess tent
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2019

Top Climbers Expedition provided service, experience and expertise beyond our expectations from start to finish. We chose the 8-day Lemosho route and it was an outstanding trek to the summit. Our guides Frank and Laraha, made sure our needs were met (literally) every step of the way and they reassured me with their encouragement that I could make it to the summit. They were very knowledgeable and able to answer all of our questions about pretty much everything. Additionally, the amazing men that made up the rest of our Kilimanjaro trek team (porters, chef and waiter) made our experience outstanding. I highly recommend Top Climbers Expedition and the Lemosho route for your Kilimanjaro experience!

Date of experience: May 2019
manasem11, Owner at Top Climbers Expedition, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2019

Hi Janeth;
Thank you so much for the special words you have written about us. Its our task to look after you and encourage you during your entire trip also making sure that you are safe and feel comfortable all the time with the team. We are all the time aiming in making sure that you guys get perfect and everlasting memories during your holiday with us. We are also very happy to know that we exceeded all your expectations. Congratulations for making it to the summit with us. You are welcome again to Tanzania....Karibu Sanaaa...!!!!

Reviewed May 27, 2019

I could not be more happy with Top Climbers expedition. I climbed kilimanjaro on the lemosho 8 day route. Everyone that worked for top climbers were incredibly helpful before the trek with logistics (airport transfers, hotel etc) I met with the guides the day before the trek started, Frank and Larahah. They gave me a very detailed itinery so that I knew exactly what was going on. On the trek itself I was amazed at how hard working the staff were, how helpful they were and also how happy they were to be taking us up the mountain. The food was incredible. The equipment was great. I was also happy that the guides had an oxygen tank with them just in case. They also took our pulse and oxygen saturation percentages to make sure we were coping ok. I felt safe at all times on the mountain, and we reached Uhuru peak as planned, I cannot thank the staff of Top Climber enough for helping me to achieve it.

Date of experience: May 2019

Hi Jonathan;
Thank you so much for the special words you have written about us. Its our task to look after you and encourage you during your entire trip also making sure that you are safe and feel comfortable all the time with the team. We are all the time aiming in making sure that you guys get perfect and everlasting memories during your holiday with us. Congratulations for making it to the summit with us. You are welcome again to Tanzania....Karibu Sanaaa...!!!!

Reviewed May 25, 2019

Awesome experience with TOP CLIMBERS: Very friendly and professional management team, well organized and assisting me to set up my own tour a bit alpine style flavoured with climbing ascent over the north face. Guide Arden and the team of 5 people who accompanied me were excellent. Allways found my tent prepared on arrival; great food and helpful in any regard.

I can recommend them without any restriction; just TOP!

Dr. Alexander Kuhl, February 2019, summit certificate #107723

Date of experience: February 2019

Hi Dr. Alexander;
Thank you so much for the special time you have taken to write such wonderful words about us. We feel so grateful to hear that you had an amazing and unforgettable trip with us. Our dream is to make sure that all of our clients enjoy their trip and remains with everlasting memories. Congratulations for making it to the summit. You are welcome again to Tanzania....KARIBU SANAA.....!!!!

Reviewed May 7, 2019

COMMUNICATION:
My wife and I booked the longest / safest route: 9 day (8+crater). Starting from our home in Montreal and until we were at Top Climbers Expeditions in Moshi, the online support was very attentive to our needs.

They dedicated a whole day just for equipment check, so there would be no surprises on the mountain. Any forgotten or damaged equipment can be rented at the HQ. Minase, the owner of the company paid us a visit on the first day and let us know that he was at our disposal if we needed anything.

GUIDES:
Frank and Viviano periodically checked in with us at each and every step of the way. I was impressed by how helpful they were with their attention to details: at the start of each day they would brief us on the upcoming events toward the next camp including terrain, weather, nourishment, and pertinent supplies. At the end of each day they would debrief us after dinner, double-checking to see if we experienced AMS or any other issues, before assessing our vitals and then pre-briefing us for the next day. In the morning they, along with the rest of the crew, would rebrief us on the new day's plan - which we were grateful for.

I have heard stories about guides trying to quicken the pace in order to finish the expedition sooner so they can move on to the next client. This does not happen with TCE, they set a safe and efficient pace, based on their experience.

They started off as our guides, but they also assumed the role of being our doctors, teachers, and friends. They are full of knowledge regarding geology, botany, ecology, politics, and history. We learned so much about the Kili Wildlife and bio-zones, the ecosystem between the mountain and town of Moshi, the growth and evolution of the Chaga people, simple Swahili phrases, almost anything we wanted to know...

PORTERS:
The service of the porters was above and beyond. The porters were always friendly and talkative, even when they were sweating bullets and hustling loads up the rugged terrain. While we were sleeping, some split off and hiked 20 km just to retrieve fresh fruit for us. Among their own gear they hauled our big expensive 95L Osprey duffel bags, and by the time we got to camp we saw our stuff was clean and in perfect condition. The tents they supplied us were among the leading brands like Mountain Hardware

TCE follows KPAP regulations and the really care for every single one of their employees. It was apparent from their whole crew - from Omari the toilet guy, to Leoni the waiter, and everyone in between - that their working conditions were up to par. Everyone we hired was really healthy and happy. I was pleased to see that they all had adequate gear (especially good shoes).

SAFETY:
The body acts differently every 500 meters and hiking strategy changes likewise. Our guides were excellent at preparing us for what would come next. Not only did they help us overcome new challenges, but they went a step further and educated us on the science behind why we did what we had to do. For example: I learned how the oxygen in our blood vessels is replenished via water and carbon-byproduct is expelled safely through liquid leaving the body, therefore at high altitudes, we need to more water flushing out our system in order to compensate.

The guides at TCE taught us skills we could use for the rest of our lives and all over the world. Another example: some snacks like a regular apple are great energy boosters in the grassy moorland, but can cause nausea in the alpine desert. That issue alone is enough to impede an entire summit day for someone, but TCE took care of us.

Summit day is obviously the most demanding, where preparation and communication needs to be impeccable. Their dedication not just to our success but to our safety was demonstrated when our guides brought an extra guide-in-training, Shaibo, to carry emergency oxygen - which ended up not being needed. We felt very safe in their care.

I was experiencing AMS and our guides made the judgement call for us to spend that night at lower elevation, rather than in the crater. Even though we paid for that experience our guides wanted me to have adequate oxygen overnight; they were thinking about our well-being rather than our money.

FOOD:
Our chef Jeremiah was like a magician. The gourmet food that he conjured up in his tiny cooking-tent was the best cuisine in East Africa... In fact the reason we stumbled upon TCE in the first place was because their excellent reviews, which mostly raved about how amazing the food was. Not only do my wife and I love to eat, but when climbing a mountain you NEED to eat as much as possible. It is difficult to maintain a high-calorie diet while trying to keep it diverse. Before our trip, we confirmed with many people who had successfully ascended Kili, that 9 days of mediocre food is enough to break someone’s mental fortitude. One example: during my AMS I exhibited many symptoms but the food was such a highlight on my day and I never lost my appetite or my will power. Jeremiah hand-crafted something new, creative, clean, and healthy every single meal for us.

ADVICE:
I recommend booking the Lemosho route with first, and if all goes well, then trying another shorter / harder route with them again - Marangu or Machame. Our experience with them has inspired us to tackle other iconic summits, however I am certain we will not find services as good as we did with Top Climbers Expeditions, anywhere else.

Date of experience: July 2018
manasem11, Owner at Top Climbers Expedition, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2019

Hi,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review about us. Our aim is to make sure that you remain with remarkable adventurous memories. Again thank you for choosing Top Climbers Expedition to be the tour operator to fulfill your dream of conquering the summit of mount Kilimanjaro. Congratulations for making it to the summit. You are welcome again to Tanzania....Karibu Sanaaa....!!!

Reviewed April 21, 2019

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro with Top Climbers was one of the most incredible and surreal experiences of my life. Top Climbers made the task extremely enjoyable! Every day was well planned, organized, and executed. Everyone that helped with the climb was amazing, including the office staff, porters, guides, and cook. My group was lead by Abu and Iman, two very experienced and knowledgable guides who helped my friends and I make it to the summit. Highly recommend!

Date of experience: February 2019