“Professional, Personal Scuba Diving Experience”

Mafia Island Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Mafia Island Diving is Mafia Island's leading dive centre and the only one officially rated PADI 5 stars. It is run by a PADI Master Instructor and a PADI MSDT. We make a point for all our dive guides to be at least Divmasters. We offer the widest range of water and land based activities. Our dive sites are suitable for both beginners and advanced certified divers. We also offer PADI's full range of courses, from Discover Diving to Assistant Instructor and 15 different specialities. Divers and non-divers alike can also enjoy snorkelling, whale sharks excursions, whale watching, turtle hatching, birdwatching, island tours & picnics, jeep tours and much more.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Sea Point offered a personal, professional scuba diving experience. The shop and their equipment (Scubapro) are incredibly well maintained. The shower and toilet facilities are clean. The staff is knowledgable about diving, the local area and customs, and the marine life. The dive boats are beautiful. I was very impressed with the safety and awareness of the staff. I generally prefer diving with my buddy, but not a guide. Sea Point made me rethink this position...the personalized dive guides were terrific! Sofi, Michael, Tom and the others were a pleasure! They were fun, patient, and paid attention to the types of creatures that I wanted to see. Then they made a point of selecting dives sites not only based on tides and sea conditions, but also on what they thought I would enjoy the most. The snacks (including coffee, tea, fresh fruit, and baked goods) on the boat were terrific. I hope to dive with Sea Point again in the near future.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"spent days"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Loved doing my Open Water at Sea Point Diving centre. Good instructions, great dives. Thanks to the team for a nice experience and especially Sofi and David for teaching me. I'll come back one day.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I’m almost reluctant to say this because I’d rather keep this gem as my own secret.

This is an exceptionally well-run dive centre at the most spectacular dive destination I've ever visited. My friends and I spent a glorious week with David, Danielle and their terrific team of divemasters, getting in a dozen dives.

They run their dive centre with the precision of a finely-tuned Swiss watch. If you bring your own gear, it is carefully inventoried on arrival, set up for you when you step onto the dive boat, rinsed and securely stored between dives, and ready for pick up (and inventory reconciliation) when your visit sadly comes to an end. Friends of mine who rented gear found it all to be of very good quality.

We stayed at Chole Mjini, on a small island off Mafia Island, and the dive boat picked us up daily as scheduled and dropped us off on their way back in. They were always on time.

Divemasters are efficient without being obtrusive. Briefings are thorough. We dove most often with Tom, who quickly settled on a simple set of signals to keep on top of our air consumption (some of us were on BAR, others PSI) without driving us nuts. He’s a terrific DM.

And then there’s the simple joy of diving off a dhow configured to serve as a dive boat. We would motor out to the dive site, but most often return to shore under sail – absolute bliss.

The dive sites are breathtakingly beautiful -- untouched reefs teeming with marine life. Kudos to Sea Point for respecting this. On the one dive where the captain dropped the anchor, a DM dove down to ensure that it had not landed in coral, and to move it if it had. On all other dives, the boat simply drifted with our bubbles.

If you can manage it, do a night dive. It’s a shore dive just off the dive centre. You won’t regret it.

1  Thank Old_Bald_Guy
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Mafia Island has some terrific dives in clear sheltered waters.
Situated on a white sandy beach on the channel between Mafia and Chole Islands, I met here some of the friendliest and most helpful dive leaders you could hope to meet. I'd called in to say hello the day before, and when I arrived on the morning of my dive all my hire gear was already laid out neatly on a table with my name on it, with a bag to take it to the boat; my bottle, BCD, reg and weight belt were already onboard the dive boat. The equipment was all in first class condition too, unlike the bashed hire kit I've experience elsewhere.
The club uses traditional local dhows, which are solid and stable with plenty of room for divers, gear and air for two dives; as the gunwales are low access into and out of the water is a dream. It's been written elsewhere on this site that the boats are slow. Well they're not RIBs with 140hp outboards, but most people visit Mafia to slow down, and why would you want to rush about when there's plenty of time to take in the breathtaking scenery?
People I spoke to who'd done open water courses were effusive about the quality of the instruction.
The pre-dive briefing was thorough and interesting; on our dives the dive leader was quick to point out any interesting fauna and encouraged us to use our cameras. The club has underwater cameras for hire, by the way; take a 2GB SD card with you if you intend to hire one, or they'll transfer your images onto CD.
All in all this is an incredibly well run dive centre set in its own paradise and with fabulous diving on its doorstep.