“Locals enjoy this fine dining experience!”

Fynbos Gourmet Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 90 Restaurants in Mossel Bay
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This cosy coffee shop is situated in a Victorian-inspired pavilion, with outdoor seating available in the lush courtyard. Breakfast and lunch are served - and whether you feel like a cappuccino and a slice of cake, a breakfast or a light lunch, Fynbos Coffee Shop serves it with flair. It is a busy coffee shop and popular lunchtime meeting spot during the day. Dishes are inspired by local availability, trends and the seasons, with something for every taste. Due to the nature of our business we do not allow children under ten years.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Once again we as Mossel Bay locals are blow away by this exquisite dining experience on our doorstep. Thank you so much Emile and Marisa for your great atmosphere and deligthful food.
We can recommend this resturant to any one visiting us.

PS: This best thing on the menu are the desserts! B-)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very unusual and unexpected combinations, yet brilliantly prepared and presented. Excellent service!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

After reading the reviews we decided to try out the number 1 in Mossel bay. We were at first impressed with being allowed to review the menu an hour before they opened and to book a table for the two of us for an hour later (6 pm). On being seated We ordered two glasses of different wines and sat and waited, and waited while a couple who had arrived after us were already eating. We were about to leave as we felt we had been forgotten when our waitress arrived with the two glasses of wine and took our food order. As we tasted our wine we discovered that she had transposed the two glasses. We eventually got our main courses at 7 at the same time time as a party of 16 gathered at an adjacent table. A screen was moved so as to funnel all the arriving guests past our table. Despite being now shaded by the screen and the very loud guests our table lamp was the only one left unlit! The food was good except for the mashed potato being old and sour. We did not stop for either dessert or coffee as we needed to rush back to check to see if our sun tan had been deeper than we thought!!!

Emile N, Owner at Fynbos Gourmet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Customer

Thank you for taking time to review us.

First of all I would like to apologize for the waiters mistake of taking around about 5-7 minutes to prepare and pour your wine and then mistakenly transposing the wine . This was her first evening serving tables after being trained. We teach and train our employees and then give them the opportunity to develop and also to learn from their mistakes.

As for the the screen being place in your view, this was done on request from the guest who booked the table way in advance and are loyal customers to Fynbos, as for them being loud, we can not be held responsible.

I would also just like to ensure you that we take pride in our preparation of food and freshness of our product, therefore I can with honesty say that among other things the mash are prepared fresh daily.

We are still a very young restaurant and strife to the best in our capabilities, but we also know we cannot please all tastes and personalities.

Sincerely
Marisa Nel
Owner

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stopped for coffee and cake, (which incidentally was delicious) and liked the place so much booked in for dinner the same evening. We had a fabulous meal, the lamb shank was just delicious, the best I had tasted. The menu offered a great choice of dishes and the food was expertly prepared and beautifully presented. Our waiter was charming, friendly and efficient. The chef came out from the kitchen and engaged us in conversation, explaining his philosophy about food and his vision for the restaurant. We have nothing but praise for this restaurant it was a gourmet experience.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am very surprised that this place has received such glowing reviews. While visually very appealing (picture a quaint colonial style drawing room turned into a restaurant - with fine china and gleaming wine glasses). The knick-knack store attached to the restaurant is very nice, I must admit (as is the Liz Taylor look alike that I saw giving manicures, lol). However, my friends and I stopped by for breakfast - which was a huge mistake. They boast a "full house breakfast" which is in essence a meat platter. A very poorly presented meat-platter. Not visually appealing at all. Their menu declares: "All eggs served scrambled only" which borders on a joke if you market yourself as a gourmet kitchen. And yes, the eggs were poorly done - and I still cannot understand how one can make scrambled eggs taste so completely bland. My friend did not touch his meat platter (breakfast), and I found my simple toast and eggs to be, very honestly, the worst breakfast of my life. They are very pricey, with chefs in full white attire in the kitchen - so one would expect food quality to match. The outdoor sitting area is very beautiful and quaint - so would recommend this for a quick coffee/ pastry meal in the evening. Cannot comment on the dinner quality - but from what I could tell by the breakfast menu - vegetarians and vegans, walk on. No options at all for this group.

3  Thank Neil P
Emile N, Owner at Fynbos Gourmet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We as owners and management / chef appreciate you taking time to review us, as this bring new light and perspective to our establishment.

Fynbos was in business for 17 years as a coffee shop and known for certain aspects. We (Marisa and Emile) are new owners since November 2011. Our approach to this venture was not to upset our local clients too much by changing what they are used to. We did how ever bring a new 'vibe' with chef specials and the Gourmet Evening Restaurant. This is perhaps the misunderstanding with the 'Gourmet' aspect of your review and our name.
Our clients are mostly elderly people during breakfast and lunch and they are concerned with over seasoning and the use of salt. Not losing perspective that this is South Africa and we love our meat, therefore we serve comfort and 'homey' food during the day. If you would like to have a food experience (Gourmet part of our name) we recommend that you come in the evening. Most of our reviews are based on the evenings, but we also take in account that we need to fulfill our clients needs..... which I believe is part of Hospitality.
I understand that you find it 'funny' that we serve only scrambled eggs, but due to kitchen limitations (not at all in skill) and high volumes of clients during the seasonal time we prefer to limit confusion and misunderstanding, therefore the scrambled eggs only. Out of season we do egg options. We are committed to service, quality and our clients, and we always try to go out of our way to meet every need as far as possible. There are several vegetarian options on the menu and an experienced chefs brain that would give you more options. All you need to do is ask.

I sincerely hope that you return and maybe come for a dinner experience. I give you my word that we are hard at work to improve in any way we can.

Kind Regards