“Excellent food, excellent service”
Review of Cafe Gannet

Cafe Gannet
Ranked #2 of 89 Restaurants in Mossel Bay
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Café Gannet Restaurant is Mossel Bay's seafood House. Acclaimed for local seafood specialties, ingeniously prepared. Coastal oysters, black mussels and Mossel Bay Sole are delivered daily from the harbour to make a delectable and varied a la carte menu, which includes pizza, salads, meat dishes, light lunches and Rainbow Cuisine. For a relaxing afternoon, come and enjoy a cocktail overlooking the Indian Ocean... The Cafe Gannet is a great treat, which will please the most discerning palate - very trendy, so bookings are recommended.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

A local resident told us about Café Gannet. He said that it was the best restaurant in Mossel Bay. Well we were really impressed with the service and the food. The menu is excellent. Our waitress made a few good suggestions and we were not disappointed. Remember to make a reservation, as they were really full on the evening that we went there.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The waiter was friendly, the service good and the food was outstanding!
Can definitely recommend the stuffed chicken breast (even though the focus seems to be on seafood).
The calamari was excellent too and the "unusual" coconut curry served with it very tasty.

The restaurant has a good variety of high quality wines on the wine list, as well as "by the glass" options of reasonable quality.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our tour operator chose this restaurant for us. For starters, we have a choice of either Deep Fried Calamari or Soup of the Day. For main course, we have the choice of Grilled Local Hake with tartare sauce or Chicken, Pea & Mushroom Pasta in Creamy Mustard and Brandy Sauce. Dessert is trio of homemade ice cream.

It says on the board outside the restaurant that they have the best calamari in town. Curious, I ordered that for appetizer (Deep Fried Calamari drizzled with Moroccan Sauce). True enough, it was very yummy and it was the best calamari I had in our trip. The coating was crisp, yet somehow, the squid remained so tender. I couldn't get enough of it. I wish I had that option for main course instead so that I have more servings of calamari. I also got to try their soup of the day, which was mushroom soup. It was just okay. I am very happy I chose the calamari.

For main course, I ordered the pasta because I already have eaten a lot of fish/seafood already. What I got however, was just creamy chicken mushroom pasta. I didn't see any peas nor taste the mustard and brandy. The noodles were overcooked and I was very disappointed with the sauce. It tasted flat, lacked flavor and seasoning. It was as if they added some cream to the soup of the day to make this pasta sauce. It's a good thing 4 out of 6 ordered the fish so I got to try their Grilled Local Hake with Tartare Sauce. It was very good and made me wish I ordered that instead of the pasta!

The ice cream (vanilla, chocolate and mint) was a nice ending to the meal. It was light, sweetness just right, and the flavors complemented each other perfectly.

The restrooms are clean. The utensils, however, are not. I've found some residue on my utensils (fork, knife and dessert spoon). I hope they wash it better.

Also, it took them a long time to cook/serve our main course even if it was not a busy lunch day. The gap between us having our appetizer and main was way too long. It may be their style though, since most of the people dining here were just chatting and lounging around with their beer/drinks and food. It's a nice restaurant to eat in if you're not on a tight schedule.

The servers were very friendly and efficient.

If I'm within the area again, I will definitely come back and eat here.. Deep fried calamari, I will eat you again!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had a great meal here with super service. Unfortunately we were seated in an area of the restaurant which faced the tables for the breakfast buffet.This area had some large very bright lights over it and if you were seated facing it you actually could not see the face of the person opposite you! So recommend you ask to be seated in main area not near the breakfast area!! However, it really was great food!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Lovely venue, great food, friendly, polite and efficient staff, wonderful food. We had 4 really good meals at the Gannet. Everyone was different and of the highest standards. The staff are well trained and know how to keep the customers happy. We will be back.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant