“The Pick of the Bay”

Cafe Gannet
Ranked #2 of 89 Restaurants in Mossel Bay
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Café Gannet Restaurant is Mossel Bay's seafood House. Acclaimed for local seafood specialties, ingeniously prepared. Coastal oysters, black mussels and Mossel Bay Sole are delivered daily from the harbour to make a delectable and varied a la carte menu, which includes pizza, salads, meat dishes, light lunches and Rainbow Cuisine. For a relaxing afternoon, come and enjoy a cocktail overlooking the Indian Ocean... The Cafe Gannet is a great treat, which will please the most discerning palate - very trendy, so bookings are recommended.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

As this was our first time at Cafe Gannet, we cant comment on the ambience of the past, but we were more than impressed with the views and ambience even if it is now part of a hotel. For us it was more about seafood and there can only be compliments from all of us. Service was efficient, professional and of a high standard. Even if you are not a seafood lover, there are more than enough other dishes to select from and suit every pallet.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

In the past we have been visiting the Gannet on a couple of occasions, while traveling the Garden Route. We always enjoyed this rather basic restaurant because of the great seafood they offered. I hadn't been here for quite some time, and things have changed.

The Gannet is now part of the neighbouring Mossel Bay Protea hotel.

First of all the interior. The restaurant underwent a big face lift and has a modern and airy look, which I truly enjoyed. I was welcomed and taken to my table inside the restaurant, right next to the terrace. I was given the menu, which consisted of a sushi menu and an a la carte menu, while several dishes were offered as daily specials on a chalkboard.

I kicked off with a Weltevrede Vanilla Chardonnay, which I recently discovered at a local liquor store and I truly like. As a starter I chose 6 medium Knysna oysters, offered for R 19,00 a piece. They were ok, but if these were medium, I certainly wouldn't like to know the size of the small oysters.

For main I opted for one of the specials, being a Hake combo, where calamari was making the combination. I specifically asked the waitress if this was deep fried in batter, like fish and chips, which she confirmed. When my meal arrived, the piece of fish had anything but a batter coat, and the calamari strips looked like they came from a supermarket, and being reheated in a micro wave. After calling a waitress, a male colleague (the manager?) took over. I explained that this was not what I ordered. He told me his other colleague was new, and didn't know (so why confirming twice that it was deep fried in batter?). Anyway, the plate was taken away and a few minutes later replaced by a nice piece of Hake in batter, while the calamari remained the same dull strips.

After paying my bill, I left the place with mixed feelings. Things have changed at the Gannet, and not all for the better.

3  Thank LaurentPerrier
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a great experience. Had guests that was not sea food lovers but even them had a great time. Was high season and service was prompt and effecient. Will be back!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great food, beautiful location and good service... we had a perfect evening with friends. We will come again next month!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I used to enjoy the restaurant when I stay there several years ago and found that it is still a very popular venue. Unfortunately for me my first night there was a very busy night as it was still holiday time. One the first night I had difficulty getting a table but they eventually manage to fit me in. The service was very good, the hard pressed staff handled business very well. I did have an comment to make about the baked Oysters, Moroccan spices just did not get it for me! The main course was good and the wine, although very limited was OK.
I booked a table for the following night and dined with a colleague. We had a very nice meal and again the service was very good. I thought the staff were very patient, there were several young children running in and out unsupervised and its a credit to the staff that no one was tripped or anything spilled. Parent who take young children to busy restaurant must be more responsible. I know it hard to keep them amused for any length of time, so eat early and give the rest of us a break!