“Spectacular!”
Review of St. Blaize Trail

St. Blaize Trail
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Mossel Bay
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The St. Blaize Trail is a popular 13.5 km (6 hour) hike that follows the 30 metre contour along the cliffs westwards from the Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse. It begins at the Cave below the Lighthouse, and ends at Dana Bay (you can walk it in either direction), and is marked with the sign of the Oystercatcher. Parking is available at both the St. Blaize Cave and Dana Bay. The trail offers dramatic sea views, excellent whale and dolphin watching, good birding, and interesting fynbos. It is a moderately difficult walk that requires a reasonable degree of fitness. Carry water, use hats and sun-block, and exercise caution in wet weather, high winds, and mist. Exits and escape routes are situated far from the main roads and the town centre. Beware of snakes (especially puff adders) and flying golf balls in the area where the trail crosses the Pinnacle Point Golf Course. Do not hike alone; children should not hike unaccompanied.

3  Thank katryn_eden

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We live near the trail and often walk along a portion when out with the dog. There is always at least one species of plant in flower. Sometimes the path is narrowed by washaways.

1  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We hiked this trail today and really enjoyed it. The trail was described as moderately difficult and we'd agree with that rating. It took us just under 4.5 hours to do the end to end distance, which came in at 15km, just a bit more than the 13.5km on the map. That's at a reasonable pace though and we passed some others who would have taken over 6hours. We took a cab from mossel bay to Dana bay after being given a cab number from the tourist information, but the driver charged us 300 ZAR for what should have been less than a 100 fare. Definitely recommend agreeing a price in advance.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was walking 11 km from 13.5 of total length. When I have reached Pinnacle Point Golf Fields, I have lost my way to final exit at Dana Baai. So I took the chance to interrupt my trail and turned back to the city of Mossel Baai. I recommend this trail to person with some sport profile, due to walking up and down throuout of rocks and bushes, sometimes just 3 metres away from rocks edge (50 m height above the sea). There is wonderfull view of Indian Ocean through out of all way.

Don't forget to take minimum 2 ltr water, sunglasses and hat. Be careful of snakes ( I did not see anyone, but who knows...), and darkness - you can't step any meter in the dark.

Have a nice holidays in Mossel Bay.

P.S. I did my first 19 km that day by walking only (about 7 hours with amazing stoppage near St. Blaize Light House).

3  Thank _12828
Reviewed March 9, 2013

this trail is quite well maintained but I marked it down one as it has a lot of glass on it at the moment. Watch out for loose rocks and sand-slides and keep dogs on a leash at all times as there are Hyrax and birds everywhere !

1  Thank FionaAyerst