Gondwana Game Reserve
$95
Protea Hotels
Point Village Hotel(Mossel Bay)(Great Value!)
$45
$193
Hotwire.com
  • Beachfront
$67
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Portao Diaz(Mossel Bay)(Great Value!)
$35
$26
Priceline
$88
$86
Oceans Hotel(Mossel Bay)(Great Value!)
$47
$39
Agoda.com
Eden Country Inn(Klein Brak River)
$51
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewskwena lodgegame reserveeco campcape townbush villafree roamingevening drivesafari experienceflora and faunahot towelsmale liongreat safarithe main lodgehis knowledgebeautiful accommodationfantastic experiencebeautiful animals
Reviewed December 28, 2012

To break up our journey to Cape Town from Plettenberg Bay we arranged to stay at Gondwana for 2 nights. Not knowing what to expect we had a great experience. The set-up, accommodation and food was out of this world. We had 4 game drives and our guide Delicious was excellent with his knowledge about the animals and the landscape, He tried very hard in getting us to see as many animals as possible. We just missed out on the lions, but the area you travel is so vast it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. We would certainly recommend Gondwana and if in this area would come back again. Many thanks to Neil and his team for making it such a memorable stay. Rosalyn & Alan

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spent three nights at Gonwana on the recommendation of our travel agent. It is set in the most amazing landscape with ever-changing views and beautiful wild flowers. The wildlife comes almost (but not quite!) second to the scenery. Fantastic close-up viewing of lions (in beautiful condition) was the highlight of our stay, but we also enjoyed a wide variety of antelope, elephants, hippo and giraffes. Seeing the soon-to-be-released cheetahs in their compound was a bonus, especially the inter-action with the lions who were very interested in them. Then there was the service and accommodation - the standards were exemplary - and I don't think could be bettered. We had an amazing stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night as part of an incentive trip organized by our company (I am lucky !). This is one of the best places I have stayed in, unique experience in the heart of garden route . The room was incredibly decorated with full amenities, high standard hygiene and a great view over the hills. We had a game drive across the area during the afternoon and also the next morning, and we were able to spot elephants, lions, hippos, zebras...This is the perfect location if you love nature and luxury.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I went to Cape Town for work and then decided to spend 3 days for a game reserve. I was recommended to go to Gondwana game reserve and I was more than satisfied about this choice. Gondwana is situated 4 hours drive far from Cape Town and is easy to reach. This is a real natural park where all the wildlife is sharing the territory what is very different than what you can find in several parks looking like a zoo. Arriving in the frontiers of Gondwana, you fastly discover how serious are the authorities of the park with the security. The welcome office provides with all the information that you need to reach the hotel and with welcome fresh beverages. Then you drive for 15-16 km inside the park to arrive to an amazing zone where are situated 14-15 individual cabins, a reception desk and a restaurant. Staff is outside waiting for you to welcome you warmly. You already feel to be somewhere special and you already know that your stay will be special. The formalities at the desk reception are very short and then you are directed to your cabin. Entering the cabin I could not imagine what I saw. This was nothing less than a five stars private room with all the comfort you can imagine, from the bath to the king size bed, the unit giving a view on the valley with large windows at the front of the unit. We found pieces of flowers everywhere in the room. There is also a mini bar in the room who countains liquors, beers, two 750 ml. bottles of wine, water, soft drinks, all include in the prize of your room. Food of the restaurant is nothing else than food of a 5 stars restaurant: good selection, good quality, fresh food and very well done. At the end of the afternoon we left for a first game reserve using a 4 X 4 car able to serve 10 persons + the driver guide. The car is all opened and seats are on 4 different levels giving opportunities to all to see wildlife, scenery and take pictures. The guide Peter was very generous in his time, drescription and answers to all the questions we addressed to him. We left the hotel for 3 hours what was looking like only one. Peter did not have to drive very far to show marvelous wildlife which I keep in my mind for the rest of my life: zebras, elephants and lions +++ were all at the rendez vous. We came back to the hotel to savour an excellent diner with a good South African red wine. This was one of the most delicious diner I ever had in my lifetime... me who has traveled in more than 75 different countries all around the world. The hotel also has a splendid pool and a spa. Leaving the hotel, they provide again with food and fresh beverages for the route. My wife and me have decided to return next year for not less than one full week. I recommend this hotel without any hesitation as this is the best quality-prize report you can have for this kind of activity. Of course, there are not so much wildlife than what you could find in Kruger National Park but the big diffrence is Gondwana is a natural reserve and not only a park for tourists... if you see what I mean. The rate is including all the meals, the game reserve and more and is very very reasonable if I compare with what you should pay for less in Johannesburg area. For those who wants to travel like a group, there are also private villas providing with a few rooms for all your group or family. But the size of the hotel reminds very small and is limited to a few villas and 14-15 individual units giving you a real contact with the staff which is taking care of you in all your needs. Yes Godnwana reserve cans also be accessible to disabled persons with help from the staff. Units and restaurant are totally accessible... but the small road between them could request a little bit of help from the staff which is more than happy to provide with.

Room Tip: units 1 to 6 are situated at the left side of the reception (no 6 is the nearest). Units 7 to 15 are situated on the right side of the reception (no 7 is the nearest). Units are situated at the top of the valley in a U, restaurant, pool and reception being at the bottom of the U. So units like 1-2-14-15 are more quiet, but units like 5-6-7-8 are closer of the restaurant.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Paul-Claude33
GondwanaGameReserve, General Manager at Gondwana Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Paul Claude. Thank you for taking the time to write to us and expressing your comments on your recent stay with us. The pleasure was ours in meeting you and the group and we were honoured to be a part of your stay in South Africa. Please pass our best regards on to all including Mr Nadeau, and I will do the same for Renee and PG. The pictures you have sent through are wonderful, with a particular shot of the one lioness yawning.
Wishing you all the best for the Festive Season ahead for you and your families
We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had a truely fantastic experience during our visit, the set-up food and accomidation were all superb.
I had initial doubtson the safari but these were quickly removed due to the great game tours and knowledge of the reserve and animals by our ranger "Forget"
Close up experiences with the elephants, giraffes, lions including viewing the new born cubs (from a controlled distance) zebras, hippos and springbok.
Tours are fabulous, even the early morning rise at 5.30am and cannot be missed.
Service laid on for all meal was also excellent and quality of both food and service is first class.
Reserve is well signposted and easy to find off the main N2 from Cape Town.
Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple