“It's Like Riding a Huge Horse”

Botlierskop Private Game Reserve
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Mossel Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Botlierskop offers various activities: Guided game drives: Experience close encounters with Rhinoceros, Lion, Buffalo, Giraffe, rare Black Impala and many more species. Horseback Safari to the majestic mountain valleys. Elephant back ride: Experience the real African thrill on elephant back. Spa treatments: we offer various treatments including African massages. Bush walk: guide tour on foot through the reserve to spot the smaller things.
Mossel Bay, South Africa
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“It's Like Riding a Huge Horse”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Have been dreaming for years about doing a elephant ride and finally got my chance this year at Botlierskop.

This 1 hour long ride was a wonderful experience. It was quite relaxing although scary in the beginning when I saw how huge my elephant Sam actually was. The guides stopped at a water hole and I was allowed to feed Sam some veggies.

The quides are very friendly and helpfull and you are encouraged to ask questions. Max was absolutely fantastic! He took my camera an took lots of photo's of my elephant ride from all angles and vantage points. And I found the most amazing photo's awaiting me when I got home.

Definately worth the time if you are a avid elephant lover like me.

Rome, Italy
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Catwalk”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We did it three times and half... I could write for hours but I don't like too long reviews.
We had Arne as guide and she was simply wonderful. She treated the cats with kindness and make us feel very comfortable... and she is a very good photographer, too. We have experience with big cats and everything she said was perfect, explaining that it's all about the tourists and the cats are not dangerous themselves (even if they could be in not a good mood), she gives the right message. She didn't need to treat the cat bad when she thought that may be thay need to stay not too close to somebody. She didn't need to seem brave to us, just professional.
Sorry but I can't say that about onother guide we had.
The young boy we had as guide the last time was good, too...
One of the best experience I ever had in my life.

1 Thank TRAVEL2FEEL
Malaysia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Walking with the big cats and big 'mammoth'”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went there for the lions walk and elephant ride.
The lions walk was really a new experience, it was literally walking with the big cats. We spent for about 1-2 hours walking in a group of 12 people, with a guide, who was quite pleasant and very informative. At first, the though of actually been with the lions (without any barrier) really scared us, but the guide (and her 2 helper) really know how the handle any possibility. There also a lot of opportunity to take picture and with the nice panaromic, the photos were really amazing.
The elephant ride took about an hour, enjoying it but for first few minutes need to adjust and get to use to not so comfortable 'seat', repeatedly need to adjust our sitting position. After awhile, just enjoy the ride. When riding the elephant, there was no chance of taking photo yourself, so it is advisable to let the guide took the picture of you while riding the elephant.

1 Thank Nik71
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I stayed in "luxury tents" facing the river for a couple of nights this August - it was amazing! They actually were tents and were beautiful. To get to our tents we had to be pulled across the river on a float which was a lot of fun. Botlierskop is beautiful - we woke up to a mummy and baby rhino for the 2 days we stayed which was an incredible sight. The dinner was also really tasty - we got to try crocodile, wilderbeast and ostrich which was definitely an experience. The whole experience was amazing - especially the game drive and walking with lions. I would definitely recommend this to other families - especially if you love wildlife!

Visited August 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The overall Experience”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My Mum, Dad, Sister and I did the Safari ride on the truck and saw what I only dreamed of seeing. The Safari range is amazing and the guide will always take you close enough to the animals to be safe but also close enough to feel awesome about the fact you might be 2-3 metres away from a adult Lion or Buffalo. My guide was called Neil and he couldn't have been more helpful to us. If you are in a family of 4+ people, you will probably be all in one truck together without anybody else. We got that on our first day. My dad and I did the cat walk and just as we were getting close to the lions, a female came up to us and brushed passed us. My favourite animal is the lion and is was one of the most happiest times of my life. The food at the Lodge was great and to me was pretty unusual, Crocodile Tail, Mountain cape Zebra, Ostrich, Black Wildebeest, and Yellow Lionfish. I also really enjoyed the infinity Pool on a ledge outside the Lodge you feel like you're on the edge of a cliff. It was AMAZING! you will regret not going!

Visited April 2013