“Only good things- any fears we had from previous reviews were completely unfounded”

Fregate Island Private
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fregate Island
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I are, between the two of us, seasoned island travellers, within the Indian Ocean (Mozambique, Mauritius, Maldives, Zanzibar and surrounding islands, Seychelles etc) as well as elsehwere. He in particular has stayed in luxury island resorts all over the world, and I worked in Seychelles for a year so am familiar with what most of the resorts there have to offer. Fregate for us stands head and shoulders above ALL the resorts we have been to, even the most high-end ones in the Maldives. I should add that we are not fussy travellers but also not pushovers and we expect the best for the kind of money spent on resorts like this. We do not like to feel taken advantage of, but happily this was not the case with Fregate.

We did a large amount of research before leaving, including reading all of the reviews on tripadvisor, so I was interested on what Fregate would prove to be like in reality.

The service was generally impeccable.
Room service were quick and quiet and serviced the room when it was convenient for us.
Restaurant staff were attentive but not imposing.
Public areas, beaches etc were always spotless.

Dan, our private assistant, was the best we have ever had. Discreet, always available, bent over backwards to make sure our every wish was catered for yet did not impose on our private family time. He was also very knowledgeable about the history of the island and Seychelles, the wildlife, what the resort had to offer etc. We have a toddler so I had sent a long lost of requests to the resort ahead of our stay, and Dan and the resort's contact on Mahe (I forget his name...Gustav?, he met us at the airport- lovely guy) made sure that every request was met, and then some. Not only was the cot, high chair and baby monitor I had requested available, but also baby bath and bath toys, cot linen (and the cot was decorated with flowers and fluffy toys-to take home- every day), a microwave to sterilise bottles, and a personalised cake on her brithday! Nothing was too much for Dan.

My only gripe with the service was that one of the chaps who handled our suitcases seemed to hang around for a tip. Urgh I hate that.

Food/dining
We ate almost exclusively off the in-villa dining menu (which, I should point out, is a full combination of all the reaturant menus as well as other dishes), and even after a week had not grown tired of it. The food was delicious and presented nicely. If I had to criticise the food I would say that the pasties for breakfast were cold and a bit uninspired, and the bread could have been fresh out of the oven, but I am really trying hard here to think of any criticism. It is hard for a chef to put up stellar food in Seychelles, soemthing I have learnt through bitter experience, as most items need to be imported and the lack of freshness impacts on the flavour, but on Fregate you would think you were dining at a first world first class restaurant.

Fregate House restaurant was lovely- we were the only diners there and the views and decor were beautiful. Note that if you are looking for a resort with nightlife or a buzz in the bars, communal and dining areas, this is not it. Fregate is for those looking for privacy and seclusion. Some people consider a lack of people to be a lack of "atmosphere", we consider it a blessing! We did not go to the Plantation House restaurant.

Note that alcohol is pricey, as it is everywhere in the Seychelles resorts, particularly the private islands as there needs to be further transport from Mahe. What did baffle us a bit was the high price of the local brew.Happily for us we do not drink much at all so the price of the alcohol was not an issue. Obviously soft drinks and juices are included in the daily rate and we drank these freely.The fridge was always well stocked.

We loved the little gifts from the chef delivered as a surprise to the villa, as well as the complimentary coconut coktails, chocolates, cookies etc upon arrival. Buggies reparked each night (after batteries recharged) to allow easy departure in the morning, being able to order whatever you want even if not on the menu etc Attention to detail like this was evident everywhere and speaks volumes about good management.

Villa
If you have active toddlers who are walking/running/crawling everywhere, I would go for a beach villa (I think there are 3 or so to the 13 or so hill villas), but our villa on the hilla was spectacular. The view was amazing. The rooms were spotless. The design of the villas are more colonial style than the latest trend towards Robinson Crusoe, but that suited us, and what lovely rooms they are. We found the second bathroom particularly useful when our child was alseep in the main bedroom (which is open-plan with the main bathroom, divided by a three quarter wall). We ate in the outside pavilion in general (fantastic) but found the indoor dining-room useful when the sandfly squadrons were out in force (more on that later).
We had no problems with our aircon, and I found the criticisms of the villas being somewhat dated unfounded. They are in tiptop condition and fixtures, fittings and furniture do not look old. The only issue we had with the villa was that our sound system had a few glitches and someone had to be called to fix it, but that was sorted out soon enough.

Wildlife
We had no problems with millipedes. In fact, on the third day of our stay, I went hunting for them as I had read so many reviews about them I wanted to see the damn things. I suspect, though, that reviews about the millipedes predated a bit of a revamp of sorts in which all gaps to the villa ceilings were plugged with foam and trees overhanging villa roofs had branches trimmed- I noticed this on our villa as well as public areas and it does seem to have resolved the millipede problem. Perhaps the millipedes invade villas certain times of the year? They were not evident at all in October.
The geckoes and lizards did pose a bit of an ick factor at meals in the outside pavilion, and the brids were a bit pesky during meals, but one is on their turf so, in our view, it was a happy compromise.

Perhaps our only real problem with Fregate-which is not one which is attributable to the resort itself- was the sandflies. We heeded the warnings of previous travellers and applied the repellant provided in the villa religiously, yet were still eaten alive. Our biggest mistake was to eat outside every night and to not use the incense burners at our disposal. We did not think much of the sandflies while on the island but boy did we feel the pain on our return home- on the day of our departure and thereafter there erupted about 300 bites each and (a month later) I still have them. I strongly recommend taking the best repellant possible with you (you are provided with a passable repellant by the resort but it was not very effective for us), and if you eat outside, use the incense burners and wear trousers!

We did not find the birds problematic. Yes they are raucous and yes there is guano everywhere around the area in which they nest, but the villas are not located there and our time there was really restricted to arrival, departure and the odd buggy drive.

Beaches
Anse Victorin and Anse Macquereau are something else. No words or photos will do these beaches justice- you have to see it to believe it. The only beaches in Seychelles which, to my mind, compare, are perhaps Anse Source D'Argent on La Digue, and maybe Georgette on Praslin. Victorin and Macquereau are in walking distance from the villas on the hill (though you can use your buggy of course), and Macquereau becomes your private beach for the day if you just flip the sign. We had our lunch brought down to the beach and it was fantastic.
Note that the currents are quite strong around Fregate and the breakers large, so the swimming is not for the faint of heart (we are not swimmers so it was not a problem for us), but still doable. I would be wary of kids swimming without strict supervision, however.
Grande Anse has a completely different "feel" (less private, larger and windswept, but lovely to walk on- Victorin and Macquereau too small for walks).
Drinks and water are available all day every day in cooler boxes on each beach- a lovely touch.

Facilities
We did not make use of the spa, though I used the gym every day so saw a lot of the spa, which looked lovely. Other than that I can't comment.
The gym was good- small and not too many cardio machines- one treadmill- but this was fine as the island was not full. I was the only person in the gym every evening. I cannot comment on whether the gym would be too small if the island were running at full capacity, but my guess is that it would still suffice as there are only 16 villas on the island.

Other noteworthy factors were the free 2hrs per day babysitting service (we did not make use of this but it was nice knowing it was available), the ability to eat wherever you want, when you want, and general friendly atmosphere and the staff's general desire to please.

A fantastic holiday, thank you Fregate- you will not be soon forgotten.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank JCLB63
There are newer reviews for Fregate Island Private

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 20 years ago and have always wanted to return.

It was an amazing experience made so special by the attentive hospitality and impeccable service, delicious fresh food prepared for you whenever and whereever you desire, beautifully appointed 'colonial style' accommodation and of course the island itself is just magical.

There is so much to do and see - our boys loved the wildlife and talk endlessly about lunch in the treehouse (being stared at by Sooty Tern chicks and lizards) and sitting on the beach at sunset watching the turtles come up to lay their eggs. The nature walk with Tanya and Mark was fascinating and it was great to hear of their efforts in preserving the wildlife and habitat of Fregate.

A huge thank you to all the staff, especially Dominic who looked after us so well.

There are not many places left in the world like this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheila m M
Reviewed October 2, 2012

After spending 3 nights at Maia on Mahe, we traveled by helicopter (15 minutes) to Fregate. Mahe cannot compare to the natural beauty and seclusion of Fregate. We were met at the heliport by our butler, Jared, and the Hotel Manager, who warmly welcomed us with flowers and drinks. We spend 6 unforgettable nights on this special island. It truly felt like our own paradise island; we barely saw another guest the entire time! We spent several AMAZING days on Anse Victorin (the most beautiful beach we've ever seen). We had the beach completely to ourselves-- except for when our wonderful butler Jared would bring us lunch or cocktails right on the beach! Jared also set up dinners at different locations all over the island (beach bbq, treehouse dinner, etc.). And he even arranged a turtle adoption ceremony for us (where we released a baby turtle "into the wild"). The comments about millipedes by other guests seem overblown. Yes, they come out at night, and can be seen outside, but they are not falling from ceilings. Also, the new chef completely re-worked the menu while we were there, which was exciting. Many of the herbs, fruits and vegetables are grown right on the island. If you're looking for privacy and unspoiled beauty, Fregate is a dream come true. Thank you for making our honeymoon so special!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the amazing views from Villa 12
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank carenliz1980
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Brought to island by helicopter and when we arrived....oh my god the birds! We were there duing there nesting season right before they leave and it was so amazing. Jarod our butler is truly the best, we stayed at several different places and no butler compared to Jarod. He gave us a tour of the island when we arrived and then arranged our meals for us everyday at special locations, something different everynight. The private beach is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen and we travel alot. The rooms are really nice, i dont know what the person is talking about that said they were outdated they are hugh villas and beautifully appointed, and millipedes, we maybe had four come in the room no big deal. The food was exceptional, miss the prawns and lobster! When we left we were supposed to by car once we landed on Maia but Jarod arranged for the helicopter to take us directly there instead of landing at airport and driving, he is so thoughtful! We will be back someday!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iris g
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have just returned from a short trip 3-night to Frégate Island Private and wanted to share my thoughts and impressions on what turned out to be a perfectly perfect holiday break. The warmth of hospitality, the level of personalized service, the professionalism and dedication and the beauty of the island all came out in their true colours.

I was first made aware of Frégate through friends of mine who had visited the island in late 2010. They had taken their honeymoon to the island and were enchanted by the seclusion, the nature and the friendliness they encountered there. My reasons for going were a little different, to say the least. I hadn't managed to leave the desk of my company for a good year now and wanted a little breather. As I would be travelling alone I was also looking for a place that would accommodate to my wish to get away from it all, while also not having to take care of all too many formalities. I got what I expected. And even more so.

I was travelling from Berlin and managed to get a quick connection via Abu Dhabi at a fairly reasonable price. Once arrived in Mahé, the helicopter transfer was smooth and fast and treated me to a first impression of the island from above. It was awe-inspiring. A vista opened up with lush jungle, turquoise water and crisp white sands. Upon my arrival I was warmly greeted and made to feel welcome immediately. Whisked off to my spacious one-bedroom villa with an immaculate infinity pool and Jacuzzi, my personal butler Joel explained what I could look forward to. From breakfast by the beach to high tea upon the island plateau to nature walks to dinner in the so-called Plantation House, I was free to choose to my heart's content.

After retiring early that evening, the nighttime vista was superb, with millions of stars accompanying my slumber as I lay on one of the deck chairs by the pool. I started the next day with a yoga session in the elegantly designed rock spa and felt immediately revitalized for a swim by one of the many pristine beaches that dot the island's coastline. Lunch I decided to have in the villa, so I could catch up on some reading and writing. One of the services Joel had mentioned was to wander through the island's plantations with the cook and select the organically grown vegetables for an evening meal. Arnaud, the chef, recently joined the team and is visibly excited about the opportunities a private garden has to offer. The meal that followed – a vegetarian ensemble of a delicious palm heart salad followed by grilled vegetables – was exquisite.

The next day, after a nature walk to discover more of the island's lush flora and myriad fauna I breakfasted in the Tree House high up on an immense banyan tree with a tasty fresh fruit salad, once again plucked from the island's orchards. Feeling pleasantly tired, I withdrew to the villa for a gentle swim and some reading before deciding to take some high tea up on the plateau. I could carry on for hours reminiscing on how perfectly everything was organized. Frégate is there for you to enjoy. It offered me the seclusion I wanted, I felt perfectly safe in the environment, and I was free to do as I pleased whenever I pleased. I only needed ask and the answer was always a welcoming "yes". I can well imagine returning very soon for another break to revitalize and relax the senses.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank tranzmitta
Reviewed August 2, 2012

After searching many brochures and talking to a leading travel company my wife and I chose Fregate Island for our honeymoon destination (22nd to 29th July 2012). We were of course looking for a touch of paradise and thought this was the place. Although we had a wonderful stay and nothing will ever detract from some wonderful memories, it is worth I think logging some facts and observations that you may wish to consider before you book this resort. The service from our butler Dian who was truly a star was first class as was the service from all the other members of staff from the cleaner to the chef. However the facts are as follows.

We arrived by helicopter and were greeted by Dian the butler who apologised that the Managing Director did not welcome us personally. Now this is not a big place and there were only three villa's in use so the MD is not exactly overworked. We later found out having talked to several members of staff that they were treated in the most appaling way by said person. He is not liked and is generally considered to be a lazy person and a bully (quote x 3). The reason he did not greet us we were told later, was because he does not get out of bed until 10:00am in the morning. When we did meet him on our second day this man proved to be the singularly most smarmy and false person I have ever met. All he seemed bothered about was the obviously very wealthy people who he sucks up to beyond belief and tries to charm the ladies (Rant now over about him!!!).

The food although presented well left an awful lot to be desired. At the most it was average and we have had far better in many parts of the world. It is also limited, so you end up having roughly the same menu each lunch or dinner wherever you dine.

The wine is varied with a lot more choices for the red but limited on the white. However it is outrageously expensive. Forget about the import tax bull that the MD commented to me. An example is a bottle of Chateau Palmer which I can buy and do at many restaurants in the UK for between £175.00 and £220.00. Fregate Island is over £1,000.00 plus 15% tax !!!!!!!!!!

The villa (No:11) was wonderful, however very tired with varnish peeling all over. Loose and exposed screws to the decking area and tired in general. The pool was only cleaned once during our stay and this was only for flies and not the small debris on the bottom plus the hot tub was so dirty we did not enter at all. With the above said is not good when you are spending virtually all day by your pool because you are not going on the beach (see below).

The beaches. Now I am a beach lover and one of the reasons for choosing Fregate Island was because I love snorkelling and my new wife loves sunbathing. Please note and I really mean PLEASE NOTE: THESE BEACHES ARE A DEATH TRAP (literally) First day on the beach, the seas are quite rough but that it appears is normal. Not to worry, I am a very strong swimmer and have snorkelled many destinations throughout the world. One small problem that is not in the brochures is a very, very strong undercurrent together with a lethal side current. I got into a sticky situation, one that a less well abled swimmer would have had a severe problem with. Relating this story later to a member of staff (backed up by two other members of staff) we were told that in the last year TWO PEOPLE HAVE DIED in this situation. There are over 150 steps to get to this and other beaches with very little barrier protection and there have been many reported accidents just getting to the area. Neither is there a life guard on the island, basically if you get into trouble, you will drown !!!!!

The cost. We have talked over this point many times and can't understand why you are paying double that of any other resort of it's kind bar a few. Yes it is tranquil and yes it looks great from the villa out to sea. But double I think not, there are many places and locations around the world better, safer and cheaper.

Last note. There are so many birds around the harbour/plantation area, the stench makes you simply feel sick. The whole are is covered in white bird droppings and is beyond umpleasant!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank ian e
Fregate_Island, General Manager at Fregate Island Private, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

August 5, 2012 by Paul van Frank (Managing Director of Frégate Island Private)

Dear Mr Ian E,

In a first instance, may I take this opportunity to thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback following your recent stay from July 22-29, 2012 on “Fregate Island Private”, on the auspicious occasion of your honeymoon.

In this regard, I am delighted to learn, that you found the services provided by Dian, your Butler, to be to your total satisfaction, as well as those rendered by our other team members, as all credit goes to them.

Having said this, based on your comments and observations, I sincerely regret, that you found the experience in itself not to be up to the expected standards and to this effect, I wish to respond as follows to the points raised.

In terms of your arrival on “Fregate Island Private” on Sunday, July 22, 2012, it is indeed correct that, most unfortunately, I was not in a position to personally meet you upon descending from the helicopter, owing to the fact that, unbeknown to you, I had just returned from a business trip to Europe, during which, I fell very ill, had to be immediately hospitalized and operated upon, resulting in the need to briefly recuperate therefrom upon my return, as one would expect, prior to then meeting you upon the first available occasion. Furthermore, as per the norm, I took the opportunity to meet you on a number of subsequent instances during your stay, in order to ensure, that you were enjoying to the fullest your honeymoon and at the same time, to enquire, as to whether I could be of any other particular assistance to your spouse and your goodself. Equally, as you may recall, I was at the helipad, in order to wish you a safe journey home upon your departure. Nevertheless, taking into consideration the aforementioned, I can but only apologize for not having been able to meet you immediately upon arrival.

As to the wellbeing and welfare of our enter team of some 145 members of Staff & Management, who are dedicated to providing our most discerning guests with the highest standard of service, whilst, I am extremely sorry, if some three team members voiced their discontent, I wish to assure you, that the Senior Management & myself, place an enormous importance on ensuring, that every endeavour is made in providing our entire team with our full and most sincere support, as one would expect, as well as to treat all with the highest degree of respect, courtesy and fairness at all times, which are values that are very close to our heart. By the same token, their wellbeing & welfare remains a top priority for us, including the provision on a regular basis of adequate social activities & entertainment. Additionally, continuous efforts are being made to grant our team with the necessary training & opportunity for development within the family of “Fregate Island Private”.

With regards to the quality & portions of the food served on “Fregate Island Private” in our various restaurants & different locations, I am truly sorry, if you found your culinary experience not to be up to your expectations. Having said this, I was somewhat surprised to learn thereof, especially, as our newly appointed Executive Chef met you on several occasions, so as to enquire as to your level of satisfaction and at the same time, to understand your specific needs and wishes, with a view to fulfilling them. Nevertheless, our Executive Chef has, in the meantime, been appraised of your comments and in fact, is now preparing entirely new menus, for the enjoyment of our esteemed guests.

Additionally, we propose “specials of the day”, precisely, so as to give our guests more choice, should they wish not to choose from the “A-la-Carte Menu” and naturally, our Executive Chef is always more than happy to prepare any other special dishes, that one would favour at any given time.

In terms of our selection of wines on offer, every endeavour is made to be able to make available to our guests, a wide spectrum of wines at different price levels. On the same subject, it would only be appropriate to mention, that in the Seychelles, wines are indeed subject to high importation taxes. Nevertheless, please note, that our wine prices are on par with other destinations of a similar caliber.

Furthermore, I deeply regret, that the impression you had of your Villa with Pool was not entirely to your satisfaction. On this same subject, it should be mentioned, that on a daily basis, our Villas are carefully checked by our Housekeeping team & our Maintenance team, who work relentlessly, so as to see to it, that all required maintenance works, if and when needed, are carried-out in a prompt and efficient manner, so as to maintain the required standards. As to the point brought forward regarding cleanliness of the pool & Jacuzzi, based on our records, both were checked and cleaned regularly on a daily basis. However, I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer, in order to enable him to very carefully monitor the implementation thereof. Additionally, please note, that we are in the process of conducting a “soft refurbishment”, in order to offer our discerning guests, the level of experience expected.

As to our beaches, of which there are no less than seven for our guests to enjoy not to mention the fact, that one of them “Anse Victorin” has recently been voted as “the best beach in the world”, far from being dangerous, based on our guests feedback, they are consistently proving to be a source of real enjoyment to all. In view of the fact, that there are seven beaches, spread across the island, whilst is not feasible for us to have a lifeguard on each beach, telephones are installed, with a direct line to both our main Reception, as well as linked to our Marina, where on a continuous basis, we have a dedicated rescue boat able to immediately intervene in case of any emergency. Furthermore, there are signs advising our guests, to be cautious, due to the possibility of prevailing currents. The same being mentioned in our in-Villa compendium. Additionally, it is worth highlighting, that our security team patrol daily the island, including the beaches for the safety & wellbeing of our guests, which is paramount to us. Having said this, being a tropical destination, the sea conditions are subject to change and thus, it is always advisable to be cautious. For the purpose of accuracy, there has only been one incident, that, most regrettably, took place in 2011, which was in fact totally unrelated to the sea conditions, as the sea was very calm at the time and the aforementioned was health related. Nevertheless, it was a tragic incident, which could not have been foreseen.

On a different note, in terms of the cost of stay with us, I am sorry, if you felt it did not represent value for money, although, I do feel it appropriate to mention, that “Fregate Island Private” is a unique destination, spread over some 3 sqkms offering a wide variety of facilities, services and extraordinary experiences, whilst limited to only 16 Villas.

“Fregate Island Private” prides itself in being a prime eco-conscious destination, which integrates a natural experience of unique flora & fauna, including the second largest free roaming population of Giant Aldabra tortoises in the world and providing refuge for multiple rare, endemic Seychelles bird species. For a brief time of the year, the island is home to breeding migratory seabirds and as such, in a few limited locations, an odour can be briefly perceived shortly after rainfall. An inconvenience for which we apologize.

On a personal note, I am really sorry, for any shortcoming you experienced. Nevertheless, I wish to give you my personal assurance, that as the Managing Director of “Fregate Island Private”, I place particular importance on upholding at all times our core values.

Once again, I wish to express to you my gratitude for your valuable feedback, which will undoubtedly, inspire us to strive to achieve greater heights of excellence in the services rendered to our esteemed guests.

Yours sincerely

Paul van Frank

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having just returned from our honeymoon this morning, I felt the need to come onto tripadvisor to spread the word about this fantastic island.

We stayed here for 6 nights. We took helicopter flights to & from the island, which only took 20 minutes per trip. Every day, we had something different planned. We discussed with our fantastic butler (Thilak) the day before, and he would recommend things for us to do (and places to eat). He had to work around me being 12 weeks pregnant too, which meant I couldn't go scuba diving/cycling etc.

Basically, the pros of the island are below:
* THE TORTOISES. They have a baby tortoise area, and you can go in and look at 1-5 year olds. You can also "adopt a tortoise" as part of their conservation scheme. Furthermore, you will see them around the island. You can bring fruit from your villa, off the trees, or from the big fruit bowl in the spa and feed the tortoises whenever you fancy. The big ones will even let you stroke it's head
* THE MILLIPEDES. Whilst some may find them horrendous, I was fascinated by the way they moved. It is, after all, an eco island.
* THE BIRDS. We went during mating season, and whilst their was a certain odour in parts of the island, I was charmed by the huge variety & volume of birds on the island :)
* THE BEACHES. Anse Victorin is a beautiful beach. I struggled slightly as there were 100+ rocky stairs and I'm pregnant, but the trips up and down were definitely worth it. The sand was amazing, and the sea was a superb turquoise. We never saw anyone else down on the beach (there are 16 villas, but only 3 were occupied whilst we were there). Anse Macquerau is also a private beach; you need only flip a sign, and no one else will go there
* THE GOLF BUGGIES. I have no idea what we'd do without them.
* ULTIMATE SECLUSION. Even if all 16 villas were taken, I believe that we would rarely have seen them. I wanted to go to Fregate island because I didn't want to mingle with others. I didn't want to dress up because I'm on a "luxury resort". Instead, I dressed down in whatever I felt like, and felt far more comfortable in doing so. Our butler said that they have a timetable, showing what different guests would do on different days, so there would be no clashing with other guests.
* FRUITS/VEG. They were all really fresh, and you can tell that any vegetables were picked on that day. We did learn that from their Hydroponic tour too...
* DIFFERENT LOCATIONS FOR DINING: We did eat at the restaurant.. but only twice. You can eat on the beaches, in the tree house, up at Mont Signe (or the bit below, the 2nd highest peak on Fregate Island)... you can also eat in your villa, which we did a few times because we became wary of the mosquitos!
* THE STAFF. They really made us feel at ease. They smiled and waved as you drove past, and they seemed genuine enough for me. Thilak slaved away tirelessly, and brought our lunch down to the beach (down and then up 100+ steps, with a tray!). He also made our candle holders from scratch from palm trunks, as he said they only last for 2 days. We would have had no idea, if we had not run into him randomly.

The Cons:
I can't really think of anything. There was nothing that scarred our trip. Reading the other reviews, I might agree that the electronics are a bit dated. At the same time, we didn't really use it. The TV stayed off the whole time, and we only used wifi sporadically. We were, after all, in the garden of Eden (oh, we saw a snake too!), so we didn't need too much technology around (other than my camera!)

THANK YOU FREGATE ISLAND FOR MAKING OUR HONEYMOON SO AMAZING

Room Tip: Villa 10 was fantastic, but then again, we didn't see the other villas :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dhevatara Beach Hotel
Dhevatara Beach Hotel
#1 of 8 in Grand Anse
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suites
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suite...
#1 of 1 in Anse Bois de Rose

Been to Fregate Island Private? Share your experiences!