“Absolutley Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fregate Island
Colts Neck, New Jersey
“Absolutley Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Brought to island by helicopter and when we arrived....oh my god the birds! We were there duing there nesting season right before they leave and it was so amazing. Jarod our butler is truly the best, we stayed at several different places and no butler compared to Jarod. He gave us a tour of the island when we arrived and then arranged our meals for us everyday at special locations, something different everynight. The private beach is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen and we travel alot. The rooms are really nice, i dont know what the person is talking about that said they were outdated they are hugh villas and beautifully appointed, and millipedes, we maybe had four come in the room no big deal. The food was exceptional, miss the prawns and lobster! When we left we were supposed to by car once we landed on Maia but Jarod arranged for the helicopter to take us directly there instead of landing at airport and driving, he is so thoughtful! We will be back someday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iris g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have just returned from a short trip 3-night to Frégate Island Private and wanted to share my thoughts and impressions on what turned out to be a perfectly perfect holiday break. The warmth of hospitality, the level of personalized service, the professionalism and dedication and the beauty of the island all came out in their true colours.

I was first made aware of Frégate through friends of mine who had visited the island in late 2010. They had taken their honeymoon to the island and were enchanted by the seclusion, the nature and the friendliness they encountered there. My reasons for going were a little different, to say the least. I hadn't managed to leave the desk of my company for a good year now and wanted a little breather. As I would be travelling alone I was also looking for a place that would accommodate to my wish to get away from it all, while also not having to take care of all too many formalities. I got what I expected. And even more so.

I was travelling from Berlin and managed to get a quick connection via Abu Dhabi at a fairly reasonable price. Once arrived in Mahé, the helicopter transfer was smooth and fast and treated me to a first impression of the island from above. It was awe-inspiring. A vista opened up with lush jungle, turquoise water and crisp white sands. Upon my arrival I was warmly greeted and made to feel welcome immediately. Whisked off to my spacious one-bedroom villa with an immaculate infinity pool and Jacuzzi, my personal butler Joel explained what I could look forward to. From breakfast by the beach to high tea upon the island plateau to nature walks to dinner in the so-called Plantation House, I was free to choose to my heart's content.

After retiring early that evening, the nighttime vista was superb, with millions of stars accompanying my slumber as I lay on one of the deck chairs by the pool. I started the next day with a yoga session in the elegantly designed rock spa and felt immediately revitalized for a swim by one of the many pristine beaches that dot the island's coastline. Lunch I decided to have in the villa, so I could catch up on some reading and writing. One of the services Joel had mentioned was to wander through the island's plantations with the cook and select the organically grown vegetables for an evening meal. Arnaud, the chef, recently joined the team and is visibly excited about the opportunities a private garden has to offer. The meal that followed – a vegetarian ensemble of a delicious palm heart salad followed by grilled vegetables – was exquisite.

The next day, after a nature walk to discover more of the island's lush flora and myriad fauna I breakfasted in the Tree House high up on an immense banyan tree with a tasty fresh fruit salad, once again plucked from the island's orchards. Feeling pleasantly tired, I withdrew to the villa for a gentle swim and some reading before deciding to take some high tea up on the plateau. I could carry on for hours reminiscing on how perfectly everything was organized. Frégate is there for you to enjoy. It offered me the seclusion I wanted, I felt perfectly safe in the environment, and I was free to do as I pleased whenever I pleased. I only needed ask and the answer was always a welcoming "yes". I can well imagine returning very soon for another break to revitalize and relax the senses.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank tranzmitta
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

After searching many brochures and talking to a leading travel company my wife and I chose Fregate Island for our honeymoon destination (22nd to 29th July 2012). We were of course looking for a touch of paradise and thought this was the place. Although we had a wonderful stay and nothing will ever detract from some wonderful memories, it is worth I think logging some facts and observations that you may wish to consider before you book this resort. The service from our butler Dian who was truly a star was first class as was the service from all the other members of staff from the cleaner to the chef. However the facts are as follows.

We arrived by helicopter and were greeted by Dian the butler who apologised that the Managing Director did not welcome us personally. Now this is not a big place and there were only three villa's in use so the MD is not exactly overworked. We later found out having talked to several members of staff that they were treated in the most appaling way by said person. He is not liked and is generally considered to be a lazy person and a bully (quote x 3). The reason he did not greet us we were told later, was because he does not get out of bed until 10:00am in the morning. When we did meet him on our second day this man proved to be the singularly most smarmy and false person I have ever met. All he seemed bothered about was the obviously very wealthy people who he sucks up to beyond belief and tries to charm the ladies (Rant now over about him!!!).

The food although presented well left an awful lot to be desired. At the most it was average and we have had far better in many parts of the world. It is also limited, so you end up having roughly the same menu each lunch or dinner wherever you dine.

The wine is varied with a lot more choices for the red but limited on the white. However it is outrageously expensive. Forget about the import tax bull that the MD commented to me. An example is a bottle of Chateau Palmer which I can buy and do at many restaurants in the UK for between £175.00 and £220.00. Fregate Island is over £1,000.00 plus 15% tax !!!!!!!!!!

The villa (No:11) was wonderful, however very tired with varnish peeling all over. Loose and exposed screws to the decking area and tired in general. The pool was only cleaned once during our stay and this was only for flies and not the small debris on the bottom plus the hot tub was so dirty we did not enter at all. With the above said is not good when you are spending virtually all day by your pool because you are not going on the beach (see below).

The beaches. Now I am a beach lover and one of the reasons for choosing Fregate Island was because I love snorkelling and my new wife loves sunbathing. Please note and I really mean PLEASE NOTE: THESE BEACHES ARE A DEATH TRAP (literally) First day on the beach, the seas are quite rough but that it appears is normal. Not to worry, I am a very strong swimmer and have snorkelled many destinations throughout the world. One small problem that is not in the brochures is a very, very strong undercurrent together with a lethal side current. I got into a sticky situation, one that a less well abled swimmer would have had a severe problem with. Relating this story later to a member of staff (backed up by two other members of staff) we were told that in the last year TWO PEOPLE HAVE DIED in this situation. There are over 150 steps to get to this and other beaches with very little barrier protection and there have been many reported accidents just getting to the area. Neither is there a life guard on the island, basically if you get into trouble, you will drown !!!!!

The cost. We have talked over this point many times and can't understand why you are paying double that of any other resort of it's kind bar a few. Yes it is tranquil and yes it looks great from the villa out to sea. But double I think not, there are many places and locations around the world better, safer and cheaper.

Last note. There are so many birds around the harbour/plantation area, the stench makes you simply feel sick. The whole are is covered in white bird droppings and is beyond umpleasant!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank ian e
Fregate_Island, General Manager at Fregate Island Private, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
August 5, 2012 by Paul van Frank (Managing Director of Frégate Island Private)

Dear Mr Ian E,

In a first instance, may I take this opportunity to thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback following your recent stay from July 22-29, 2012 on “Fregate Island Private”, on the auspicious occasion of your honeymoon.

In this regard, I am delighted to learn, that you found the services provided by Dian, your Butler, to be to your total satisfaction, as well as those rendered by our other team members, as all credit goes to them.

Having said this, based on your comments and observations, I sincerely regret, that you found the experience in itself not to be up to the expected standards and to this effect, I wish to respond as follows to the points raised.

In terms of your arrival on “Fregate Island Private” on Sunday, July 22, 2012, it is indeed correct that, most unfortunately, I was not in a position to personally meet you upon descending from the helicopter, owing to the fact that, unbeknown to you, I had just returned from a business trip to Europe, during which, I fell very ill, had to be immediately hospitalized and operated upon, resulting in the need to briefly recuperate therefrom upon my return, as one would expect, prior to then meeting you upon the first available occasion. Furthermore, as per the norm, I took the opportunity to meet you on a number of subsequent instances during your stay, in order to ensure, that you were enjoying to the fullest your honeymoon and at the same time, to enquire, as to whether I could be of any other particular assistance to your spouse and your goodself. Equally, as you may recall, I was at the helipad, in order to wish you a safe journey home upon your departure. Nevertheless, taking into consideration the aforementioned, I can but only apologize for not having been able to meet you immediately upon arrival.

As to the wellbeing and welfare of our enter team of some 145 members of Staff & Management, who are dedicated to providing our most discerning guests with the highest standard of service, whilst, I am extremely sorry, if some three team members voiced their discontent, I wish to assure you, that the Senior Management & myself, place an enormous importance on ensuring, that every endeavour is made in providing our entire team with our full and most sincere support, as one would expect, as well as to treat all with the highest degree of respect, courtesy and fairness at all times, which are values that are very close to our heart. By the same token, their wellbeing & welfare remains a top priority for us, including the provision on a regular basis of adequate social activities & entertainment. Additionally, continuous efforts are being made to grant our team with the necessary training & opportunity for development within the family of “Fregate Island Private”.

With regards to the quality & portions of the food served on “Fregate Island Private” in our various restaurants & different locations, I am truly sorry, if you found your culinary experience not to be up to your expectations. Having said this, I was somewhat surprised to learn thereof, especially, as our newly appointed Executive Chef met you on several occasions, so as to enquire as to your level of satisfaction and at the same time, to understand your specific needs and wishes, with a view to fulfilling them. Nevertheless, our Executive Chef has, in the meantime, been appraised of your comments and in fact, is now preparing entirely new menus, for the enjoyment of our esteemed guests.

Additionally, we propose “specials of the day”, precisely, so as to give our guests more choice, should they wish not to choose from the “A-la-Carte Menu” and naturally, our Executive Chef is always more than happy to prepare any other special dishes, that one would favour at any given time.

In terms of our selection of wines on offer, every endeavour is made to be able to make available to our guests, a wide spectrum of wines at different price levels. On the same subject, it would only be appropriate to mention, that in the Seychelles, wines are indeed subject to high importation taxes. Nevertheless, please note, that our wine prices are on par with other destinations of a similar caliber.

Furthermore, I deeply regret, that the impression you had of your Villa with Pool was not entirely to your satisfaction. On this same subject, it should be mentioned, that on a daily basis, our Villas are carefully checked by our Housekeeping team & our Maintenance team, who work relentlessly, so as to see to it, that all required maintenance works, if and when needed, are carried-out in a prompt and efficient manner, so as to maintain the required standards. As to the point brought forward regarding cleanliness of the pool & Jacuzzi, based on our records, both were checked and cleaned regularly on a daily basis. However, I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer, in order to enable him to very carefully monitor the implementation thereof. Additionally, please note, that we are in the process of conducting a “soft refurbishment”, in order to offer our discerning guests, the level of experience expected.

As to our beaches, of which there are no less than seven for our guests to enjoy not to mention the fact, that one of them “Anse Victorin” has recently been voted as “the best beach in the world”, far from being dangerous, based on our guests feedback, they are consistently proving to be a source of real enjoyment to all. In view of the fact, that there are seven beaches, spread across the island, whilst is not feasible for us to have a lifeguard on each beach, telephones are installed, with a direct line to both our main Reception, as well as linked to our Marina, where on a continuous basis, we have a dedicated rescue boat able to immediately intervene in case of any emergency. Furthermore, there are signs advising our guests, to be cautious, due to the possibility of prevailing currents. The same being mentioned in our in-Villa compendium. Additionally, it is worth highlighting, that our security team patrol daily the island, including the beaches for the safety & wellbeing of our guests, which is paramount to us. Having said this, being a tropical destination, the sea conditions are subject to change and thus, it is always advisable to be cautious. For the purpose of accuracy, there has only been one incident, that, most regrettably, took place in 2011, which was in fact totally unrelated to the sea conditions, as the sea was very calm at the time and the aforementioned was health related. Nevertheless, it was a tragic incident, which could not have been foreseen.

On a different note, in terms of the cost of stay with us, I am sorry, if you felt it did not represent value for money, although, I do feel it appropriate to mention, that “Fregate Island Private” is a unique destination, spread over some 3 sqkms offering a wide variety of facilities, services and extraordinary experiences, whilst limited to only 16 Villas.

“Fregate Island Private” prides itself in being a prime eco-conscious destination, which integrates a natural experience of unique flora & fauna, including the second largest free roaming population of Giant Aldabra tortoises in the world and providing refuge for multiple rare, endemic Seychelles bird species. For a brief time of the year, the island is home to breeding migratory seabirds and as such, in a few limited locations, an odour can be briefly perceived shortly after rainfall. An inconvenience for which we apologize.

On a personal note, I am really sorry, for any shortcoming you experienced. Nevertheless, I wish to give you my personal assurance, that as the Managing Director of “Fregate Island Private”, I place particular importance on upholding at all times our core values.

Once again, I wish to express to you my gratitude for your valuable feedback, which will undoubtedly, inspire us to strive to achieve greater heights of excellence in the services rendered to our esteemed guests.

Yours sincerely

Paul van Frank
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having just returned from our honeymoon this morning, I felt the need to come onto tripadvisor to spread the word about this fantastic island.

We stayed here for 6 nights. We took helicopter flights to & from the island, which only took 20 minutes per trip. Every day, we had something different planned. We discussed with our fantastic butler (Thilak) the day before, and he would recommend things for us to do (and places to eat). He had to work around me being 12 weeks pregnant too, which meant I couldn't go scuba diving/cycling etc.

Basically, the pros of the island are below:
* THE TORTOISES. They have a baby tortoise area, and you can go in and look at 1-5 year olds. You can also "adopt a tortoise" as part of their conservation scheme. Furthermore, you will see them around the island. You can bring fruit from your villa, off the trees, or from the big fruit bowl in the spa and feed the tortoises whenever you fancy. The big ones will even let you stroke it's head
* THE MILLIPEDES. Whilst some may find them horrendous, I was fascinated by the way they moved. It is, after all, an eco island.
* THE BIRDS. We went during mating season, and whilst their was a certain odour in parts of the island, I was charmed by the huge variety & volume of birds on the island :)
* THE BEACHES. Anse Victorin is a beautiful beach. I struggled slightly as there were 100+ rocky stairs and I'm pregnant, but the trips up and down were definitely worth it. The sand was amazing, and the sea was a superb turquoise. We never saw anyone else down on the beach (there are 16 villas, but only 3 were occupied whilst we were there). Anse Macquerau is also a private beach; you need only flip a sign, and no one else will go there
* THE GOLF BUGGIES. I have no idea what we'd do without them.
* ULTIMATE SECLUSION. Even if all 16 villas were taken, I believe that we would rarely have seen them. I wanted to go to Fregate island because I didn't want to mingle with others. I didn't want to dress up because I'm on a "luxury resort". Instead, I dressed down in whatever I felt like, and felt far more comfortable in doing so. Our butler said that they have a timetable, showing what different guests would do on different days, so there would be no clashing with other guests.
* FRUITS/VEG. They were all really fresh, and you can tell that any vegetables were picked on that day. We did learn that from their Hydroponic tour too...
* DIFFERENT LOCATIONS FOR DINING: We did eat at the restaurant.. but only twice. You can eat on the beaches, in the tree house, up at Mont Signe (or the bit below, the 2nd highest peak on Fregate Island)... you can also eat in your villa, which we did a few times because we became wary of the mosquitos!
* THE STAFF. They really made us feel at ease. They smiled and waved as you drove past, and they seemed genuine enough for me. Thilak slaved away tirelessly, and brought our lunch down to the beach (down and then up 100+ steps, with a tray!). He also made our candle holders from scratch from palm trunks, as he said they only last for 2 days. We would have had no idea, if we had not run into him randomly.

The Cons:
I can't really think of anything. There was nothing that scarred our trip. Reading the other reviews, I might agree that the electronics are a bit dated. At the same time, we didn't really use it. The TV stayed off the whole time, and we only used wifi sporadically. We were, after all, in the garden of Eden (oh, we saw a snake too!), so we didn't need too much technology around (other than my camera!)

THANK YOU FREGATE ISLAND FOR MAKING OUR HONEYMOON SO AMAZING

Room Tip: Villa 10 was fantastic, but then again, we didn't see the other villas :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sunburnt_Penguin
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Went on a month vacation and stopped at Fregate Island for 3 nights. I'd have to say that this was my favorite of the whole trip overall. The beauty of the island was truly the best I've seen on the Seychelles, even nicer than the more popularly known beaches in La Digue and Praslin. This island had 14 villas on it and luckily we shared the island when we went with only 2 other couples. We never saw them except once in passing. Go here if you want total seclusion. The room was colonial style and clean. The outside back deck and pool area was massive with a jacuzzi, gazebo, private pool and breakfast nook overlooking a cliff and the ocean with palm trees. Just gorgeous. See my photos! The place led to a private beach below. It is spectacular. Rough waters though. Have to be a very good swimmer. There were stingrays swimming out there. There are signs that you can post saying beach occupied and that will allow you to be alone on the beach with your loved one and no one will come. Very private. Lots of rugged trails throughout the island. Nice spa, great tea. Nice gym. The food was some of the best that I ever had. I'm vegetarian and I was so incredibly pleased by the gourmet selection of vegetarian meals they offered. The desserts were out of this world. We were assigned a private butler that took care of us the whole time. He even served us at dinner, rather than a waiter. Impeccable service. Our butler's name was Tahlik. He was so perfect and made our stay the very best. He was never imposing and always wished to please us. He arranged to have us have a private breakfast in the tree house, where we also fed the birds and lizards. The lizards eat bread and muffins too. Also a private dinner at the Plantation House which reminded me of the old south. One evening he arranged a private romantic candle lite dinner on the beach at sunset. It was like a fairy tale. Lots of crabs around, but they didn't bother us. Had to take a helicopter to get to this island. I believe you can go by boat as well, but helicopter is fast from Mahe. Just 20 minutes max. There is a private church there too. Nice place to pray and thank God for making it possible to visit this island paradise. If I were to say any draw backs would be the millipedes. At night the millipedes are out in full force. Some snakes as well, but not poisonous. The millipedes are not the prettiest creatures, but they didn't bother me much. More my husband. They fall from the roof of the hotel room as well, so you may find one in the shower or on the floor when you wake up in the morning. If you can deal with that, then you are set. They don't bite. Just a little gross looking. You also have a mosquito net so you know they won't fall on you at night. Only found 3 in the room the whole time we were there. It's not like they fall on you, but you may see them. But overall, a place that I would say is well worth the visit. I've visited over 70 countries and many beaches, and these are the most beautiful in the world, on Fregate Island. I heard Janet Jackson visited this island.

Room Tip: Room 7 had a great view!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mdove
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

the positives: beautiful beaches (i believe we were lucky about the sea not being too rough), attentive staff, butler service is good, golf cartes are helpful, turtles are beautiful.

the negatives: tired rooms, tired common areas, only average food (nowhere close to Aman quality), outdated technology (wifi, electric plugs,etc.). millipedes (see below)

if you are paying 5.000 euros per day for a family of 4, i do not believe that a resort can have the luxury of having the above negatives.

biggest problem that my family has encountered were the millipedes in the island. this is no joke nor exaggeration. i am aware that this comes as part of a package within this eco island however one may not want to see 10s of millipedes per day within his/her villa and we did every single day we were at fregate. seeing them in the middle of the night in the bedroom was very tough for my 9 and 6 yr olds and they basicaly did not like the island because of this. one may be ok with millipedes but if you are not, this place is not for you.

lastly: because of the millipedes and the lizards, etc, we wanted to leave 2 days early (shortening our stay from 6 to 4 nights) and received very opportunistic/unreasonable response from mgmt. in these cases i do not care what the agreement/disclaimer writes. i care about the reality: the fact was that only 3 or 4 of the 16 rooms were occupied therefore us leaving 2 days early did not result in any missed opportunity to the hotel. the manager told me that they will only refund 10% of the total pmt for the unused nights to me. i asked back for at least 15% as 15% of room rate was already taken from me as service charge and i at least wanted to get that part back for the days i was not going to stay and receive no service!!! however, my butler replied to me that the manager's final decision was to refund 10%. this was a joke. it really was an opportunistic approach by the hotel not sympathizing with the guest whatsoever. never make your reservations for too long to this place if you have any chance to shorten your stay. your pmts to this place goes down the drain. you can always lengthen it as it does not necessariy have high occupancy (ie last week).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
23 Thank mmmttt_11
Fregate_Island, General Manager at Fregate Island Private, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
We are always extremely disappointed when our guests are unhappy with any aspect of their stay on Frégate Island Private, whatever the reason. We have over 30 years of restoration effort on Frégate Island and have been incredibly successful in so many projects, from the near extinct Magpie Robin to the annual nesting of the endangered Hawksbill turtle.

Regrettably, we cannot control all of our restoration efforts and the existence of the prehistoric millipede is part of our success. Many, many attempts have been made to try to limit their access to the villas; however, they do still manage to access inside the buildings. All of our personal Butlers are available at any time of the day and the night and they are happy to remove millipedes from the villas, if guests feel uncomfortable with them in the room.

We invest a huge amount in organizing familiarization trips to Frégate Island Private, to ensure that our travel partners have first-hand experiences and can accurately portray the experience in every respect. We feel that we must appreciate that our success on so many conservation and flora and fauna restoration projects have been so successful that it is no longer the natural and thriving habitants of the island who are the “outsiders“ - but we are!!

With regards to our cancellation policy, we regrettably have to say that this does not stand in direct relevance to the occupancy of Frégate Island Private. Irrespective of how many rooms are available or occupied on the island it is not ethical nor correct to step out of a contract from either side – the guests’ or Frégate’s side. As mentioned, we are always extremely disappointed if guests leave the island early and we did not meet their expectations. However, unfortunately there is nothing we can do to change the contract short term for whatever reason.

We still hope that we were able to deliver some good exceptional experiences to you and your family during your 4 nights stay on Frégate Island Private.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Fregate is one of those unbeliebable and exteptional holiday destinations one can ever imagine. It is so beautiful with so much to offer. You really feel like you are on the island alone,the service is amazing, the vilas are just so stunning, You can have your dinners on the beach, at the deck overlooking the sea, at their tree house, the creole restaurant, the observatory watching the stars-anywhere you wish and anywhere you like really, What an amzaing time. Our Butler Mickey was just the BEST!Sweet, helpful,always smiling and a great attitite. Thanks Mickey!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful honestly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,225 reviews
Le Domaine de La Reserve
Le Domaine de La Reserve
#5 of 12 in Anse Volbert

Been to Fregate Island Private? Share your experiences!