“Trip of a lifetime”

Denis Private Island Seychelles
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Beautiful island and lovely secluded accomodation. You have your own little bit of beach.
Had great walks along the beach and on paths inland (use mosquito repellent on inland walks). Saw at close quarters endangered birds that have been released on the island. Food plentiful and very, very tasty. Staff very nice and helpful.
You are given a flask of drinking water every day but you can go to the bar at any time and request more and also ask for ice cubes.
My only complaint is the price of drinks. Would have propped the bar more often if they had been more reasonable.
For those complaining about the lack of luxuries expected of a 5 star hotel, please remember this is an island in the middle of nowhere. You just cannot have the same amenities as in a well serviced mainland location.
We had no problems with bugs, except as I said, on inland walks. Use repellent and you'll live to tell the tale and remember, if you want birds you do need bugs for them to feed on!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Having recently left Denis Island after a few days stay, which was supposed to be the magical first leg of our honeymoon, we feel compelled to write our comments as we were not made aware of certain things before booking and were utterly disappointed halfway through our trip.

1. You are only served food when they want to serve you food. Typically this is breakfast at 7 30 -10pm which is normal, lunch only from 1-2pm - if you don't eat within those hours you then have to pay for a plate of leftovers of the original lunch otherwise there is no food available whatsoever until dinner (6 hours later). Dinner is 8-10pm.
You don't get a choice about what you eat. There is no 'snack menu' no sandwiches, no salads. Breakfast and lunch are a buffet of their choice and dinner tends to be a themed event of for example indian or japanese food. If you don't ike their chosen theme there is no other food available.

2. Limited water supply in your room. You are provided with 750ml of water twice a day. For two people this means 2 glasses of water a day...in 37 degree heat. The 'mini-fridge' doesn't work properly and is not stocked with anything at all - not even bottled water that they could charge the guests for if they could be bothered to stock the fridge.

3. Mosquitos are a problem as the villas are only treated once a week with insecticide and housekeeping leaves all the lights on after the evening turndown so you will most likely be bitten to death through the night despite the netted curtains around the bed. Doors have large gaps in them so the mosquitoes get in anyway.

4. No mobile phone networks on the island, and very slow internet in the internet room. This lack of communication with the outside world is up to each person's taste, but it's something we wished we'd known beforehand.

5. Rules at every turn. Despite the 'philosphy' of the hotel being utter relaxation the management have come up for rules for absolutely everything, from how old you have to be to play at the billiard table and how you shouldn't pull cables out of the computers in the media room. Internet connection is so slow that it takes you half an hour to load a single page so I guess by the end of a session you do feel like pulling out the cables!

My husband and I are not difficult people but we have been to a couple of 5 star hotels and have therefore come to expect a certain amount of service for the money charged at this hotel. While the waiters were all extremely helpful and attentive, the whole philosphy of the management was almost 'against' the guest. You had to stock your own mini fridge with a minimal selection of condiments (so that they don't have to stock it for you and then check what you'd taken), you had no choice about what to eat or when, you just had to do as you were told (which I personally hate) as we have enough rules in our everyday life let alone when on holiday.

If none of the above things bother you then you will find it a peaceful and relaxing location though I still doubt you will find it good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank pands2
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I spent a week on Denis island and thought that it was fantastic. The room, beach, food and service were great. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We booked Denis Island for 1 week for our honeymoon. It looked like paradise on their website.
We run away after 24 hours, because we realised that the quality of the services was more of a mismanaged 3 star hotel at the price of a 5 star. We found another place, lost 100% of our money but it was better than staying there to be treated like that.

-Accommodation
We booked a deluxe cottage. To see the sea we had to go in the veranda on the back of the house (no direct access, we had to go around the house) and we could see the beach 50 meters away between the trees. We portrayed a different layout from the description in the website.
We complained with management and were offered a better room (apparently we had a garden  deluxe cottage, this was not one of the room types in their website). What if the hotel was full, what if we didn't complain? Again, this is supposed to be a 1000 euros 5 star resort.

- Room service
None, whatsoever. You get food and beverages at the only bar or restaurant

- Food
Mostly buffet or fixed menu, and it all happens at fixed times like in boarding school (lunch at 13-14, dinner at 20...)
We had lunch once, it was a dreadful cheap buffet. The fixed menu in the evening was better but there was creole buffet and Indian buffet for the following days. I complained to the manager, he told me that that's the way clients had always wanted.
We sat at the bar for half an hour in the afternoon. nobody came to take an order. It took us half an hour to find someone in the kitchen and order a tea. It happened again the day after.
In a nutshell you get what you get at the time they want....and you are in an island with nowhere else to go. You just get a small jug of water for 2 in the room every day.....or you order water from the bar, if you find someone.

They seem to make everything so difficult instead of just simply provide basic hospitality.

Beach/sea
- it is beautiful, but not better than many other places in Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius. They say unspoilt nature, it is not.  It's just lack of attention (e.g it was difficult for us to get to the beach due to fallen trees). Besides the sun beds provided at the end of our verandah, there were none other by the beach near the bar. If you want to drink a juice, you have to go and get it if you manage to find someone... Again, we would have no problem with this if we didn't pay 1000 euros per night.

Wireless/ mobile Connection
We didn't know about the lack of wireless and mobile connection as this was not advertised in their website..and I like to download magazines, newspapers, books.....

International travellers from London

• Stayed: July 2011
15  Thank Europebased
Reviewed July 16, 2011

You have not seen or experienced a true paradise if you have not been to Denis. Had to visit Denis as part of a media tour and am I glad that someone told me to get into a small plane, land on a slightly bigger grass landing strip (with sea on top and bottom end) and got to experience this truly amazing place!
You have not yet set foot on the island when you are already being treated like a VIP, with the manager stepping into the plane and welcoming all to the “island of the happy people”. And believe me by this time happiness is setting in big time!
This small island have 25 very elegant, very upmarket and very romantic cottages. Theses cottages have been carefully spread out so that each one has it’s own beach area and creating the impression that you are really there all on your own on this very beautiful island.
The decor of the cottages is exquisite – not only qualifying for extremely luxurious but also capturing the spirit of this island paradise. We particularly loved the open bathroom – which is set in a private courtyard complete with your own massage parlour!
Talking of massages – whatever your interest, you will find satisfaction here. From massages, to beautiful scuba diving, unusual bird watching and big game fishing delux. We tried all of this and were left with life long memories – schools of colourful fish and outwitting a sailfish (we put him back and so became part of a conservation group!).
The food was outstanding – from Sushi evenings to the most decadent buffets. With a surprise at every meal.
One of the best experiences on Denis is life without TV and cell phone. Those who cannot imagine this, have to opportunity to stay connected to the real life by internet access in the library. We witnessed the most beautiful love story during our stay. Bumped into this young Russian man coming and going into the library (we were frequenting the great little designer shop!). We heard that he spent two days on Skype trying to get his girlfriend to Denis. He was booked for one night to “get away from it all” and by the time we got there it was his 5th! We of course made up our version of the story – a love quarrel, he broke away and realised he could not live without her. After two days of booking flights and trying to get her to Denis, she arrived. We were also on the small landing strip for our departure, to see the reunion. He was waiting there for her in his tropical island shirt gently holding a wild flower in his hand. She came running of the plane into his arms. He picked her up and twirled her around and then they held each other tightly. We were pretty sure they got engaged on Denis.
I am telling you this story because it reflects the special kind of magic Denis Island have.
My rule of never going back to the same place – because there is so much to see in the world, has now been abolished. If I ever get the chance again – Denis Island, it’s wonderful staff and island charm will definitely see me again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My new husband and I stayed here for 7-nights on our Honeymoon and were thrilled with our choice.

The landing was certainly interesting as you realise it is literally a dirt strip. However, the island is so intimate you won’t want to leave. Our beachfront villa was right on the water and the sunsets were breathtaking.

There is a no key policy on the island, which takes some getting used to, but there is simply no need. Share you room with friendly gheckos and enjoy a bathroom outside. The rooms are well appointed, but no TV, phone signal so utter relaxation. There are also no in room safes which was concerning, so do bear this in mind.

The water is wonderful and clear. We would certainly recommend a walk around the island which, including sightseeing, takes about 3 hours if you do it well. Time it with the tide to make sure you can walk all around the beach. Some of the sights we saw were beautiful.

The food is good, but the BBQ and sushi nights are excellent. Service was very slow here compared to other hotels we’ve stayed at, which was frustrating. Not all the staff are as friendly either which I do think they need to work on. This is a great island, which could be even better with a few tweaks.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsandMrHendon
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Usually I check Tripadvisor before booking a hotel, however I was taken to Denis Island by my partner as a surprise Easter break, so I hadn't read Tripadvisor. Interestingly, my comments are similar to others I have subsequently read.

Denis Island really is beautiful and spectacular. I would have loved to have stayed longer. We stayed in a Villa Belle Etoile, which was awesome. It was well appointed, had an open bathroom, a separate outside shower, a massage table area, and an awesome comfy gazebo. Even though the villa is set back a little from the beach it had the best and widest access to the beach of the villas on it's side of the island. We loved it. I'm not so sure about the beach on the other side of the island, which has the two most expensive villas.

To be fair, I have already provided the following feedback/suggestions directly to Denis Island management:
- Given the rack rate price of the accommodation, you would expect to have water included. There is a small amount provided in the room each day and at breakfast, however it is not enough in the tropical heat.
- April is the hottest time of year to stay, and the small number of relatively small fans in the open air restaurant area was insufficient to cool the restaurant during the day and early evening. It made lunch times nearly unbearable, and I imagine that some people would find it unbearable.
- The buffet dinner we had was not up to scratch. The al la carte meal was excellent, however the buffets seem like an easy way to save money with less tasty food. Having a buffet or breakfast, lunch and dinner does not speak 5 star.
- Finally, we had an issue with reception. My partner had bugs bite him where his skin made contact with the beach chair he was lying of for about half an hour. We advised reception so they could treat the chair, however what we were saying wasn't really acknowlegded by the reception person we were speaking to and we don't think that the chair wasn't treated (while we were there at least).

In addition, I agree with other comment that I have read a few times, which is that the drinks prices are extremely high.

All that said, we really did love our stay and would love to return.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatCR

Been to Denis Private Island Seychelles? Share your experiences!