Open today: 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from $125.00
from $300.00
from $2,702.00
1,172 results
All reviews gorilla family once in a lifetime mountain gorillas bucket list amazing experience bamboo forest gardening gloves stinging nettles golden monkey trek worth every penny their natural habitat hiking boots per day starting point hard work gorilla experience worth the effort
Selected filters
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We went gorilla and golden monkey trekking in Volcanoes National Park.

I am not great at climbing hills so was very concerned about my walk. I also live in Cape Town with zero altitude so that was another worry. My guide tried to get me an easier walk whilst my friends, who are mountain goats, went off on a harder one. My walk was fabulous! I was the strongest in the group so there was no pressure and I could take everything in. The day starts by going to a central place where you are put into your groups. Traditional dancers start the show and we were not warned about this. After their show they pass around a plate for a donation and we had no money on us. Luckily you leave here on the Golden Monkey trek too so we had a chance to make a donation then so remember to bring a donation with you. We walked for about an hour before we got into the park and then must have walked for another hour. Its very exciting when you get to the spot where the gorillas are and at this stage you hand all your belongings, besides camera, to the porters or guides. It is best to have a porter no matter how fit you are. You are helping the community by hiring them and they are helpful when you get to a steep bit. The gorillas were magnificent.

The next day we went to the monkeys. We happened to start from the same place as I started the day before as the monkeys are in the same part of the forest. It is a very easy walk to the monkeys and we had fantastic sightings. The monkeys are very beautiful. It is not necessary to have a porter for this but once again, it is nice to help the community.

As I mentioned, I come from sea level so felt a little dizzy at the start to the second day but once I started walking it passed. You start at 2 400m altitude (about 7800ft).

The organisation is superb, the guides are very knowledgeable. Both treks were very good experiences.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

One of the best experiences I've had. Yes it is expensive but I'm not sure how you can put a value on the time spent with the gorillas. (a percentage of the fee is directed back into the area and the local communities)

Reviewed September 4, 2017

We had a lovely opportunity to do Golden Monkey trekking. We had done our gorilla trek in Uganda, where permits are cheaper, but golden monkeys are only found here! The walk was quite fine, and certainly nothing compared to Bwindi Impenetrable park. The forest was a bamboo forest and the golden monkeys were very accessible. We enjoyed seeing them eating and playing in the forest. Great morning. We did hire a porter, just to support the local community, but didn't really need assistance like we did in the gorilla trek. It is a nice way to help the local people. Please wear long pants, tuck in your socks. I did wear my gaiters and was certainly glad I did due to the stinging nettle. There is quite a lot of it where we were. One man had quite a bad reaction to it. It can sting through pants. I was glad to have the extra coverage with the gaiters.

Reviewed September 2, 2017

Gorilla trekking here is exceptionally well organised compared other similar activities in Africa.
WE were allocated the susa group which meant that we had a 2 hour drive to get to the starting point some of it on tracks not much more than paths. This was followed by a 4 hour trek to over 3300 meters, but it was unbelievably worthwhile , the troop tolerated us being very close without any issues and came to us with in touching distance for us and a few of us were given friendly kicks by an adolescent blackback. The hour went to quickly but leaving life time memories as well as a great collection of videos.
if you are not a strong walker let the organisers know and you will be able to go to a group much nearer to the center.

The following day we went to see the golden monkeys, another great experience but a much shorter drive and walk, this is again recommended.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

I went to Volcanoes National Park to see the Golden Monkeys and to climb Mt. Bisoke, each on consecutive days. Both days, my driver took me to the park early in the morning, where coffee and tea were available free of charge. Additionally, members of the Sacola traditional dancers (a group that is involved in the conservation of the gorillas) performed traditional music and dance.

After about an hour, the park rangers had all of the visitors go to stations that corresponded with their activities for the day to get briefings for what the day would look like. I was quite impressed with how structured everything was! From our briefings, my driver took me to the place where those doing the same activities as me would meet again.

The golden monkeys were fun to see. What was even more impressive was how the rangers knew exactly where to find them! We walked alongside potato fields and eventually into a bamboo forest where the monkeys were swinging around. We got to spend an hour with them.

Climbing Bisoke was an interesting experience. The trail was very muddy, so much so that I depended heavily on a porter to help keep me from slipping. I went during the dry season, so how they do this during the wetter months is beyond me. It was cloudy and foggy most of the way up and on the summit, but the clouds cleared up just enough that I was able to get some decent pictures of my surroundings.

I hope I can get to this area again when the skies are clear. I imagine the views must be breathtaking!

2  Thank EricM1931