Virunga Hotel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Ubumwe(Gisenyi)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsin townwould highly recommend this placegorilla trekkingstayed for nightshot wateroliviervirungatransportkigalibasevehicle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were very pleased with service at virunga hotel. Would definitely recommend staying there. We stayed two nights in July. We also used virunga express to get from Kigali to ruhengeri. Because the hotel had a special we did not pay for the bus. It was a lovely 2 hr ride. Safe driver and bus well taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lucynak
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is probably the best hotel in Musanze. It's clean, the water is hot and the staff is very very nice. I was doing volunteer work in the dry season and appreciate having a balcony to dry my dusty clothes on. Internet is spotty.

Room Tip: I like staying above street level so I can see the volcano but as there is a gated courtyard, all the rooms are probably about the same in terms of safety.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank ChichesterYoga
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I give this hotel 4 stars, because of the flexibility. Our gorilla trek went longer than expected and the hotel didn't charge us for a late check out of more than 5 hours. Huge surprise!
The hotel is clean. Everything works. Better than other hotels in the price range. The food is ok, but slow.
Look for a room in the middle away from the street.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Suur_D
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Virunga Hotel is centrally located in Musanze town. The hotel is modern, with hot water and clean rooms. The food at the restaurant was nice, but a little pricey compared to other places in town. There's not much to do in Musanze itself, I stayed here two days as a stopover, but in hindsight, one night was probably enough for the gorillas. The owner was very kind and obliging - even offering me a free ride to the bus stop (a short walk away) upon seeing my large backpack. I would recommend this as a good option in town.

Room Tip: Try a room on the first or second floor facing the volcanoes.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank K_Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were greeted warmly by Olivier who I had contact with by email, and what a lovely staff member he was!......As we were travelling independently to see the Gorillas we needed to have a driver take us to the park then again to the start of the trek. Not only did Olivier organise it , he went with us!!! How impressive is that? We were thrilled at that step above and well beyond any expectations we had!... We truly felt we had made a friend in Olivier for his excellence in service and being just a genuinely nice person!
As mentioned by a previous review it suits the budge conscious traveller but did NOT compromise on cleanliness -!! Our room was spotless, very cozy and quiet with free WIFI - which some of our more upmarket hotels didn't even have!
But what made us love it even more, was the quality of food and the friendliness of staff!... We had such a lovely time with staff during our meals, they were friendly, professional, and I really had some of the best food of my trip in this hotel!....Very very impressive! Thanks again Virunga Hotel, for making the whole Gorilla Experience so enjoyable!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, as some rooms are on the main road
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple