“Friendy, character abnd value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Muhabura

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ruhengeri
Hotel Muhabura
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ruhengeri
Deventer, The Netherlands
“Friendy, character abnd value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for a number of days. A splendid place to relax in the green atmosfere. There are three levels of rooms:
-original (also room 12 where Dian Fossey stayed when she needed a bath!!) which are basic and are under renovation
-renovated rooms (no 1 to 5)
-16 new rooms with a splendid view on the volcanoes.
On balcony we spent some hours to discuss, meet friend or just read a book.
The bite named sambousa (tri-angle meat pie) are tasty with a good beer (Turbo!)
The restaurant had a variety of dishes and are good value for money
Our clothes were washed and ironed; never had it beter done
Also the front office was very helpful to arrange all our special requiremenets to visit the lakes and vulcanoes.
I recommend this hotel as it has the original setting and character. The other hotels I checked on had often many too modern furniture etc; no African setting there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jansen86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

I spent 3 nights here and wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else in Ruhengeri. This is not a new hotel and so the rooms are not only basic, but also fairly dated. The bathroom has hot water and that’s about it. There wasn’t a wardrobe or even a shelf in the ‘apartment’ so this hotel won’t win on comfort, but it’s the atmosphere of the place that will make you want to stay here. Everybody is very helpful. We had no light in the bathroom and when I told reception they immediately sent the ‘electrician’ to sort it out. The guys in the restaurant work from very early in the morning (breakfast starts at 5.30am to cater for early gorilla trekking tourists) until late at night. Nothing is a problem and everything will be done for you, but be aware that English has only recently become the official language and most of these guys will be fluent in three other languages - so if you travel Rwanda and only speak English speak clearly and not patronising with them and all your wishes will be taken care of. Best of all is the terrace on which travellers will come together by late afternoon to enjoy a beer and exchange travel experiences. This can easily lead to a nice dinner together with new found friends who might have travelled other parts of the world you always wanted to see. This is clearly the best part of your stay at the hotel. Other benefits are free wireless internet access, a quiet location in walking distance to Ruhengeri centre with a nice garden and a view of the Virungas. Also if you haven’t found a driver for your gorilla trek the night before your visit to Kinigi the hotel has a car and driver at the standard rate for the day of $80-100. You can eat dinner at the hotel at fairly good prices, although the Gorilla hotel opposite Muhabura serves really good food at a reasonable price too - the atmosphere is just a little bit more formal.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank aroundtheworld57
Iqaluit, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

I spent 2 nights here while traveling in Rwanda. It was recommended in the Lonely Planet and was a good price - 20,000 RFr for a single (or $33 Cdn/night) - with breakfast included. The room was clean, bright and a good size, although sparse. No TV in my room, but others did have a TV in theirs. The Hotel is located just outside of town, but you can walk into town to internet cafes, markets, etc. in about 15 minutes. You can also take a taxi (2000 RFr) or taxi-motor (300 RFr) to the downtown area. There are other hotels and restaurants nearby. Wi-fi internet available.

The restaurant is open at 5am so you can have breakfast before heading out on a trek. The breakfast that is included in your room price is a plain omelet, two slices of toast, tea or coffee, and a plate a fresh fruit. I was told breakfast would be ready at 5:45am the morning I went gorilla trekking, but it didn't come to the table until almost 6:10am so I recommend getting there a little earlier (as they had booked my taxi for 6:15am!).

The restaurant also has a bar and patio area. I spent both nights on the patio talking with other trekkers (and a really great guy from the UK who lives there several months a year) over the local beer, Primus. It's a sociable place so is great for solo-travelers who want to meet other people. The bar is also popular with locals who filled the place one night I was there. I didn't have a meal at the restaurant other than breakfast. Another guest had told me the food wasn't great and recommended the hotel across the street, Gorillas Volanoes. The food there was good and for a good price, although I definitely recommend Muhabura for their patio and atmosphere.

I had just a few problems:
No towels were provided and when I asked was told at reception I could just use my own. I found out from other guests that they had gotten towels, so I tracked down one from one the women cleaning the rooms. Also, the shower leaked and flooded my bathroom. This was also a problem in at least one other room. There were aware to are hopefully looking into this. There was hot water on the first day, but the second morning the water was only luke-warm.

Overall, a good, clean, comfortable place for the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank GoneToSeeTheWorld
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

Not for the 5* fly-in safari set, but in the area, this is a nice place with friendly people, a restaurant that serves decent food, internet access (wi-fi), helpful to organise breakfast very early in the morning for Gorilla trekkers. Few things

We stayed in a convenent family suite, which, though very simple and with some items needing a bit of attention, we enjoyed our stay here in Ruhengeri. Really a nice place for those who have a real heart and interest in Africa, relax and let Africa do its magic. Yes, the hearty/hefty meals take a while, but who is in a hurry here? (take clues from the Gorillas - they don't rush around). What is better than relaxing on the verandah (listening to some 80's pop music which repeats quite often, alternating with the rhythm of African music), enjoying a cold Primus (beer)? Not for suits and stiffs.

Even our 2 sons of 11 and 12 thoroughly enjoyed the few days here, eating up a storm, striking up good relationship with the barmen/waiters who were always good to all of us.

In our overland journey across the continent over 150 days, this place had something special, even though each aspect is average or below . .

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Denis L
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I've just got back from Rwanda this morning my first night was spent here and very dissapointed. Being on a gorilla trek the next morning (like most residents) we had to get up early at 5.30am BUT the staff seemed to forget this!!!!
We had to wait hours for our dinner, with locals being served before us. and then when we did get to retire for the night the staff decided to have a party next door keeping us all awake despite us asking them to be quiet!!!!!!! By 3am I gave up the idea of sleeping!
Rooms are basic, bathrooms basic but clean.
I'll be looking for somewhere else on my next trip to see the gorillas which will be Marcxh/April this year!

• Stayed December 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Digs00

Travelers are raving about these Ruhengeri hotels

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

Large rooms, good restaurant, reasonable prices, managed to bargain it down slightly for a two night stay. Good wireless internet in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

The staff at this hotel were friendly and helpful. They helped us to organise a 4x4 for Gorilla Trekking through Amahoro Tours. (Winnie at Amahoro Tours organised us to share with another couple so this reduced the $80 cost to $40).

We enjoyed hot water showers on both days... 'though the availability of hot water was intermittent. I believe this was due to the availability of electricity and not the fault of the hotel.

Another reason to recommend the Muhabura is that we met quite a few others there who had been Gorilla trekking and so it was fun to compare notes. (For info, we were returned to the hotel at approximately 1:30pm after Gorilla trekking).

The cost for a double room and breakfast was 25,000 RWF.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bamboo_eater
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruhengeri
Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel
Red Rocks Rwanda - Campsite & Guesthouse
La Palme Hotel
La Palme Hotel
#7 of 18 in Ruhengeri

Been to Hotel Muhabura? Share your experiences!