“Green Hills Tour of Nyungwe National Park”

Green Hills Ecotours - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Gisenyi
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Hills Ecotours Ltd is a team of local tour guides specialising in scheduled & tailor-made private Ecotours & Safaris in Rwanda, DRCongo, Uganda & Burundi. Green Hills Ecotours offers to tourists an experience of a lifetime that transforms their lives and those of local communities. You will have a unique opportunity to explore the fabulous natural treasures of East Africa region. And you can help to empower local communities by visiting their development projects or gain first-hand experience through a volunteer program.
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Two years ago I had a great cycling tour on the Congo Nile Trail with Mansuet. This year I returned to Rwanda with my daughter. We couldn't afford the gorillas, so Mansuet recommended Nyungwe National Park, a US AID-funded eco tourism project to protect the Nyungwe rain forest and provide employment for the local communities. Absolutely fantastic and under-visited. We had two days in the park, which is a haven for 13 species of primates, dozen of rare birds, and extraordinary orchids, ferns, etc. The park fees and simple, clean accommodations are very reasonable, making the trip affordable. We saw chimpanzees, colobus monkeys, and blue monkeys. The waterfalls were gorgeous, the hiking extraordinary (70% of the rain that falls on Rwanda falls in the park). The park boasts a lengthy canopy walk across a swinging bridge, 300 meters from the ground--safe and stunning (though many people apparently start and say "no thanks."). You have to actually trek a bit in Nyungwe as the wildlife is actually wild--which we appreciated. And no crowds of tourists, ever. Green Hills planned everything with care. The driver was courteous and drove safely. Mansuet was very clear about what was included in the package and what we had to pay for while there--no confusion whatsoever. And when we asked to change dates by a day he did so quickly. I know people love the gorillas, but I've been to Rwanda three times and am still amazed at how many days of travel, adventure and wildlife you can have for the cost of a half-day visit to the Gorillas. Of course, when I finally do get around to the Gorillas, I will go with Green Hills.

All reviews
"great team"
"spent days"
"whole thing"

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My sister, husband and brother-in-law used Green-Hills for the gorilla trek in Rwanda as well as the bike ride in Rwanda (six days). Innocent was lovely, but our guide Mansuet was a bit of a scammer. If using Green-Hills, please specifically request not to use Mansuet. Innocent made up for our losses after we complained about this guide.

3  Thank JenniferChern
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I spent 4 days with Green Hill and would highly recommend them. They can accommodate different budgets and itineraries. The service was very good and we enjoyed our time in Rwanda. Our tip included hiking Bisoke volcano, Gorilla trekking and Kigali and Genocide memorial and Churches. Innocent and all his staff were very professional and friendly. I would highly recommend this company!

1  Thank DLH90
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My daughter and I spent four days with Green Hills Ecotours and highly recommend Innocent and the team. I contacted Innocent via e-mail and over the course of a couple of months he helped me design a wonderful itinerary. I wired money to him in advance to arrange for two Gorilla permits at Volcano National Park. He handled all the paperwork and acquired the permits without a hitch. One word of caution about the congo nile trail. Innocent and bicycle guide Mansuet organized a 50KM ride from Gisenyi to Kinunu base camp with a boat ride return on Lake Kivu back to Gisenyi. My daughter and I are both in good shape and we struggled. It's at altitude, quite a bit of climbing and rough roads. However I would do it again. All in all great execution with very personable guides.

1  Thank j-brad-w
See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I would highly recommend Green Hills Ecotours. When I came to Gisenyi, I was put in contact with the guide named Innocent. I could not say enough good things about him. Very knowledgeable of the area, speaks good English, and has a genuine passion for what he does. He is also very committed to ensuring that your trip has local guides who know the area which also gives you a taste of the local flavor while in return supports the local community.

Great company! And whatever you choose to do, will be amazing if it is with Green Hills.

2  Thank valbowden