“Amazing trip to Nyiragongo Volcano”

Green Hills Ecotours - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Gisenyi
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Hills Ecotours Ltd is a team of local tour guides specialising in scheduled & tailor-made private Ecotours & Safaris in Rwanda, DRCongo, Uganda & Burundi. Green Hills Ecotours offers to tourists an experience of a lifetime that transforms their lives and those of local communities. You will have a unique opportunity to explore the fabulous natural treasures of East Africa region. And you can help to empower local communities by visiting their development projects or gain first-hand experience through a volunteer program.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Amazing trip to Nyiragongo Volcano”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My friends and I had a once-in-a-lifetime experience hiking Nyiragongo Volcano in 2012. Innocent was amazing and did an unbelievable job of arranging the trip: from meeting us at the bus station in Gisenyi, to getting us visas to DRC and accompanying us across the border, arranging transport to and from the volcano, paying our park fees, and hiring rangers for the park. The price is very reasonable for everything he provides. I would highly recommend using him and Green Hills Ecotours.

If you are planning to hike Nyiragongo, I would highly recommend getting a bit in shape first as it is a tough hike and you will be very sore for the week after!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Anne S

Brooklyn, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A dream vacation”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Innocent and his tour guides made our vacation absolutely unforgettable. My friend and I love learning about local culture and having a bit of an adventure when traveling. This goal was reached more than we could have dreamt of. We came back with many, many unforgettable moments of our 8-day trek along lake Kivu and another day-long hike on mount Kabuye.

For trekking enthusiasts, I cannot imagine a more rewarding experience than the lake Kivu trek (4 days of walking, 1 day rest, 4 days of walking), which brought us across Rwanda's endless hills with breathtaking lake views; we met local villagers, farmers, fishermen and hundreds of curious children, learned a bunch of words in Kinyarwanda, how to make firewood from Eucalyptus trees, how to brew banana beer and roast coffee... all thanks to Greenhills Eco Tours – a company that is especially interested in creating a bridge between tourists and locals - and our 2 amazing guides, who translated incessantly, answered our innumerable questions about their country and people, cooked for us and made us appreciate their gorgeous country!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank marilu24
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic trip arranged by Innocent to Rwanda & DRC”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Innocent from GreenHills Eco Tours was absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend him highly enough.

I visited Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo in March 2012 and Innocent helped arrange the trip. He was fantastic - he advised on what to do, helped arrange permits, arranged a visa to DRC (no easy feat), provided a driver for visiting the Gorillas in Rwanda and arranged a trip climbing Mount Nyiragongo in DRC.

I was somewhat nervous before the visit as travelling as a single girl to DRC & arranging it via the internet with someone i'd never met, but Innocent's communications were fantastic, via both email and phone. He provided all necessary forms and answered many questions and put my mind at rest. He was great at helping me decide which elements of the trip i could organise myself and where i needed his help. The guide he provided for the gorillas was fantastic and enabled me to see the Susa group (which I was really keen to do but you cannot necessarily choose which group you see). Innocent helped us across the land border between Rwanda and DRC with all the necessary admin and arranged transport, a guide, porters and security (essential) for our climb up the volcano.

Thanks very much for a great trip!

Visited March 2012
Kihei, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing service and a very genuine person”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have used Innocent several times to plan trips to Nyiragongo and some trips in Rwanda and highly recommend him. He is very responsive, organized, trustworthy and knowledgeable. I live in Kigali so am familiar with the various tour companies but Innocent is by far the best and reasonably priced. If you are planning any trip in Rwanda or the region, I highly recommend getting in contact with Innocent/Green Hills.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank S G
München, Deutschland
“Great trip with a very experienced and obliging guide”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went on a trip to Nyungwe NP with Innocent´s Greenhills Ecotours last year in June. He is a very friendly and helpful person and collected us from our hotel. He was always up to change our plans on short notice and was able to quickly find other sights to see. So we went to see the Golden Monkeys and the Waterfall in the National Park. He also arranged to see the local Tea Plantation (Kisagura), always provided lots of food and taught us some Kirwanda.
I really can recommend this service to everyone who wants to see this beautiful country off the beaten track and learn many interesting things. Also the prices are convenient and booking was no problem at all.
We would really like to come back and visit Mt. Nyiragongo in DRC as soon as it is save there.
Thanks for all!