“Blissful paradise”

Ranked #5 of 18 Gisenyi B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Blissful paradise”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A group of us just stayed at Palm Garden Resort this past weekend. Palm Garden Resort is incredibly blissful, gorgeous and situated right on beautiful and expansive Lake Kivu. The grounds of the resort are breath-taking with numerous palm trees, fruit trees, colorful flowers and exotic birds. Led by Hotel Manager, Valence, the service we experienced from the hotel staff and management at Palm Garden Resort was out of this world accommodating, warm and hospitable. The food at Palm Garden Resort is incredibly delicious as well. The included breakfast was plentiful and we each ordered several whole fresh tilapia at ever meal, which is caught straight from Lake Kivu. For recreation, we also rented bikes, a boat out on the water, and went on picturesque runs and hikes around Gisenyi. Our group is already planning our return trip next month, since this is an unmatched location and accommodation for a magnificently relaxing and nature-filled escape. Thank you Palm Garden Resort for a lovely visit! See you soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank my9386

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed there for only one night after a long road, was supposed to stay for longer but we had to leave, the staff was really comprehensive and agreable. Waiters were super friendly and attentive to our needs.
The food was ok but could be improved, i had a lentil soup (or somthing like that) that tasted only of pepper...
Otherwise, the place feels safe, the room are really clean and nice. The view is simply amazing!

There was a small fire to warm the guests in the evening ... was really nice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far end, a bit removed from the lake, second story are amazing with the balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank David M
Kigali
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed for two nights in April at this beautiful lakeside resort. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Hot water & mosquito nets and big closets. The whole place is beautifully manicured and feels like a castle. My included breakfast (juice, toast, omelete, coffee, fruit plate) came as soon as I sat down. Dinner similarly, was very tasty and served right away, so I did not experience the slow food some other reviews mention at all. The staff was very attentive and brought beers and cocktails down to the pretty waterfront seating areas and loung chairs. The manager could not have been more friendly and helpful with tips about Gisenyi. This is the perfect quiet place to read a book by the lake and relax. I will be back.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms are free standing and furnished and laid out very differently. Ask to see a few if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CourtneyMFK
syracuse, ny USA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

the palm garden resort is a gorgeous place in the windy mountain roads of gisenyi, rwanda. i wish i had more time to spend relaxing there, but instead was only spending a quick night before heading off to work on lake kivu. the food was good, but took forever (even longer than expected by rwandan standards). lovely bathtub in my room, with ample hot water. nicely decorated, and very comfortable! i would love to go back.

Room Tip: my room was nyanza, and it was fantastic!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jacki_scott
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've visited the Palm Garden Resort several times and each time has been wonderful. On my most recent trip we actually had to stay across the street at the INZU Lodge but we had dinner and drinks and a wonderful breakfast the next morning. The whole experience was really wonderful. I didn't write a review of my previous stays but I have loved each one. The staff have always been terrific and the restaurant bar is one of the coolest spots in Rwanda I think.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank apritchard
Rift Valley, Kenya
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had an amazing couple of nights at Palm Garden. It's located right on the lake and there are plenty of lounging areas to relax and enjoy. The food is delicious and unlike much of our other experiences of Rwanda arrived within an hour of being ordered! The rooms are clean and comfortable and have fantastic views. The bar area is very nice and relaxing and the gardent are gorgeous. Many of the staff only have limited English but we managed to get through to them in the end and they never ceased to be super friendly. We really debated between Palm Garden and Paradise Malahide. I haven't seen the latter one but would go back to Palm Garden any time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie206
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just returned to Kigali from a 2 night stay at the Palm Garden Resort. We loved the beautiful palm garden setting by the lake with plenty of seating under cover from the sun. The staff was exceptional. The first night we ordered a variety of croquettes and enjoyed them so much we ordered them again the second night! My favorite was the fish. The rooms were very clean and roomy, though my son-in-law said the mattress in their bungalo was not comfortable.
I would have given an excellent rating except for the steps. There's a variety, wooden and cement, but the risers are not the same height from one step to another. Some are very steep, much more than necessary. My husband and I had an upstairs room and the wooden steps to get to the upper level were treacherous. Some were loose, some slanted down, all very narrow. It was not safe for me! The railing also was not stable, and there was no railing in several places on the grounds.
Overall, a good retreat. Just be careful!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank asenior
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gisenyi
Hotel Paradis Malahide
INZU Lodge
INZU Lodge
#1 of 20 in Gisenyi
Waterfront Resort Lake Kivu

Been to Palm Garden Resort? Share your experiences!