“Great experience”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Pointe Noire
Tarragona, Spain
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just astonishing, not to believe you are in Africa. From the moment you enter the hotel, until you do your check out, the impression you have is that all the staff is taking care of you. Although being a quite big hotel, you feel that it's a familiar business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

alaingoo, Manager at Atlantic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Mr. roberto,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with your group at Atlantic palace Hotel in pointe noire. We were delighted that the overall experience was perfect. Glad that you found the staff taking of your group, and looking forward to see you again on your next visit. thanks for that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wifi connection doesn't run so fast in the rooms. Staff very good and friendly. Very well located close to everywhere. Amazing swimming pool with large garden for a excellent break. Rooms are quite big and clean. Restaurant offers a wide variety of Oriental food with excellent views to the swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear sir,

You are so very kind for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us at Atlantic palace Hotel in pointe noire. It goes without saying that what you experienced is what we would hope all our guests experience.
sometimes a lot of guest download files at the same time using the same network, which will decrease internet speed, and to solve that, we have subscribed with 2 internet service provider to give the guest the option to switch to another network.
Thank you for the comment. I will certainly share then with all the team.
United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have read a number of the reviews already posted for this hotel. Having stayed in this establishment twice, for two weeks at a time, I beg to differ with most peoples take on the place.

There is no denying that the building is fantastic. The pool area is really inviting, the gym is good, and the foyer is magnificent. Just as well, as you will be spending most of your time in there trying to get an internet connection! Yes, internet is so poor that last night, for example, my Outlook would not even connect because the connection was so slow. You get "free" wifi in your room, but that's pointless if it doesn't work. Knowing the owner of the ISP, I asked him why this was. He told me that he had offered the free service to the hotel, with the intention of them upgrading bandwidth. Well, I've been coming here for three months now, third trip, and there's no change. The foyer internet is intermittent (yesterday, it didn't function for at least two hours). When you are here doing business (and let's face it, few people come to Pointe Noire on vacation), you expect this basic necessity to be provided.

Few of the staff speak English. Now, this may sound like a rough comment to make, seeing as we are in a French-speaking country. But, for the price that you pay for a room, you expect a proper standard. When you call room service to order lunch-in whilst working (assuming the internet is working in the room) and they cannot take your order due to no English, then I should not be paying European rates!

Breakfast - It starts at 7am, so they advertise. I have to be on the road by 7.30am. I do not, therefore, want to spend time waiting for the staff to bring out butter, bread, etc. If the restaurant is open at 7, BE READY AT 7!. Simple $260 per night Management 101. But hey, you will have the bill shoved under your nose within seconds of taking your seat!

Laundry - Pointe Noire hotels that I have stayed in usually pick up your laundry by around 8am, and have it back in your room by 2pm. Not the Atlantic. 8pm. And then they don't replace the laundry slip upon which you write down what you want washed and ironed. So, this morning, before breakfast, I have to go down to reception and ask for one. Not good enough.

Food: Excessively expensive for the standard that you get. Tough steaks for $30. I had "Oriental Lamb" last night, which was nothing more than chunks of roast lamb covered in a brown gravy. Nothing oriental about that at all. Beers - a small Heineken will set you back $7!!! The waiters, again, rarely speak English, and this entails picking what you want from the English menu, corresponding it to the French menu, and then showing the waiter.

TV - I accept that it is a French country, with a number of Arabic-speaking visitors. If you are English speaking, you get BBC News, DW (which is actually a German channel), MBC2 and MBC Action - both of which are Arabic channels, but mainly in English. Then, most of the news channels you don't get to watch due to "Weak Signal". This has not changed over the three months that I have stayed in this hotel, despite regular complaints.

All of the above niggles just mount up to stress. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", but in this case I don't believe I am receiving five-star service for five star rates. It irks me so much that, even though I have extended my business trip to Pointe Noire for another week, I am currently looking for another hotel. I may pay less, but then I get what I expect.

Atlantic Palace Hotel - with all those managers wandering around, I would have expected better. Your staff training obviously is woefully inadequate. You have a fantastic venue now, upon which you should be capitalising to ensure that when the Boom comes to Pointe Noire, you are at the front of the queue. Alas, you will, if you continue to provide such shoddy service for the prices you wring out of us, slide dismally backwards into the myre of competition.

One final thing - I am the real estate manager for this region (and West Africa). Part of my remit is staff accommodation. I will give this hotel one more try next month. If there is no change to the service levels, I will remove the Atlantic Palace Hotel from the accommodation lists. That, at present, means that the hotel will lose around 125 bed nights per month. That's around $32 000 per month in room income. I am not including what is spent by our people on food and drink. But, as a guide, my weekly bill at Atlantic is usually around $3 000.

That's a big loss in anyone's books, especially when it comes down to a few simple rules and procedures that should be in place in any five-star international hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
alaingoo, Manager at Atlantic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify all those points listed in the review.

we have high speed internet connection and 2 internet service provider at the same time,so in case of urgent maintenance work from any of our internet service provider, hotel guest can automatically switch to the second service, we are paying our internet service provider bill twice (2 ISP) (we are offering internet free for hotel guest, but we are paying for both providers, and we have all bills as proove)in order to make our hotel guest satisfied. in such case, all what you need is to inform the front desk and always we have solutions, all what you need is just to ask.

Atlantic palace hotel has 30 expatriates speaking english and french and spreaded in all hotel departments, in each department we have minimum 3 expatriates controlling the service. we are in a french speaking country, so all what you need is to tell the room service (english please), and a head of the department will take your order, all what you need is just to ask.

Concerning the breakfast, since we received a request from the company you work for that your preference is to have breakfast before 7 am, the next day our breakfast opened at 6:45 and will always continue to serve it starting 6:45, and we are sure that you noticed that. your company asked and we act upon request. all what you need is just to ask.

we draw the attention of our guest, not to forget the do not disturb sign on the door. the sign will delay the pick up time of the laundry.

concerning the food cost, we should take into consideration that everything is imported and that's why you find everything expensive in pointe noire, which in fact is normal.

since we have many visitors from different countries, we have to balance between the TV channels. MBC2 is in english (only advertisement in arabic). As you know the Satellite signal depends on the weather, and when there is rain it is out of our control. If any guest has any channel preference, please inform us and we will programm it for you. All what you need is just to ask.

To all hotel visitors, in case of any question, queries or any problem, please do not hesitate to contact the manager in order to listen your request and find a quick solution for you.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I was in Pointe Noire over a weekend in late March and needed a break from my usual place of accommodation. I really liked the ambiance of the reception area. The wifi worked well in reception area but less so in my room. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom featured plenty of shower gel, shampoo, and lotion. Ladies will be appreciative of the bidet that is right next to toilet, but would you expect anything less from a $260 per night hotel in a francophone African country? The bed was firm and furniture was comfortable. I had a view of the pool, the developing upscale houses, and the commercial port. Breakfast was excellent. Overall, a nice hotel and I would stay there again if ever in Pointe Noire but that may be awhile. Congo just raised visa fee to $200 for a 30 day single entry visa for Americans...not smart at all! I put that move in same category as Benin tearing up both sides of a 16.5km stretch of road between Cotonou and Ouidah and leaving all to travel on dirt...just imagine the mess off trying to drive through that when it rains! But Atlantic Palace Hotel cannot be blamed for such move by the government.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cornell S
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at Atlantic palace Hotel in pointe noire. We are delighted that you love the Hotel location,lobby, room view, and the breakfast.

Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again on your next hotel reservation in pointe noire.

regards,

Alain Hani
Hotel manager
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

After checking out of Palm-Beach following a disappointing one night stay, I decided to try out the Atlantic Palace and see what it offers for 30,000CFA more per night than Palm Beach.
I was given a better rate as I confirmed that I was visiting for business. This meant that I got a swimming pool view for a basic rate. The reception is a marble paradise with chandeliers and comfortable looking chairs for business guests to sit and write their reports using the receptions excellent WIFI service.
My room (102) was bright, airy and clean with a wonderful view of the beautiful pool from my balcony. I took a beer by the pool and it was very cold!
After a fantastic nights sleep and a powerful shower, I arrived at the breakfast hall to a comprehensive buffet.
The hotel is located in the heart of Pointe-Noire and was well worth the additional 30,000CFA compared to Palm-Beach!

• Stayed March 2013
alaingoo, Manager at Atlantic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Mr. PARKER, we really appreciate your beautiful description of your experience at Atlantic palace hotel. Your visit was an Honour for us. we promiss to work hard to keep a high level hotel standards.
All the team of Atlantic would like to thank you, and are looking forward to welcome you on your next visit.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Certainly not 5 star but acceptable service, clean and pleasant rooms and public areas.
Nice pool and ouside bar. Restaurant food reasonable with good service
Expensive but everywhere is in Pointe Noire

Room Tip: Try and get room overlooking pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Coming back to Pointe Noire after ten years I was delighted by the improvements - and the Atlantic Palace is undoubtedly an asset to the city, especially the huge pool area, which other reviewers have rightly characterised as "an oasis". The pool is billed "semi Olympic" and is about 50m long. Most rooms look out over it and there's a huge expanse of tiles for sun bathing and casual eating beside it, with lush, green grass and traveller's palms and parasols for shade. This attracts the beautiful people of Congo at the weekend on sunny days. On Friday nights there is a poolside buffet and disco for CFA 18,000 which can be loud and goes onto midnight.

However, the F&B service leaves much to be desired and as one resident told me "everything is just ok", which I would concur with - the hotel is good but lacks the "oomph" that its chic boutique rival across town, the Madiba, oozes in excess. The service at the Atlantic pool and in the restaurants is slow and the food is "ok" but nothing special in a city with several good French eateries. Breakfast is CFA 10,000 with an "ok" selection - up to standard but not sparkling.

There is a gym , again a major innovation for Pointe Noire, with some free weights and machines and four treadmills. The laundry service was excellent with prompt same day turn around and good standard. My room was large with potent air con and comfy bed. Satellite tv was limited to a couple of English channels, the shower was hot. No complaints, but I can't help but feel that a few tweaks could make really this place buzz.

Room Tip: If you want to go to sleep early on Friday night, take a room which does not face the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
#10 of 14 in Brazzaville
Hotel Kactus
Hotel Kactus
#5 of 32 in Pointe Noire

Been to Atlantic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!