I and my wife visited Morocco in august 2009, which means a very very hot period of the year for this country. We rented a car in casablanca and drove around through many of the best known locations. We anyway decided to spend 3 days far from chaotic moroccain cities and out of traditional touristic tracks thus we looked on the internet for a peaceful place, better if not a real hotel, something more similar to a guesthouse and out of towns. We found the site of this small family run establishment and after some check we booked a room. We reserved it through email contacting directly the owner Ibrahim Sahidi, who immediately proved to be kind and effective. First of all he granted us a suite since the hotel was mostly empty at the price of a standard room. Then he didn't ask us for any advanced payment and told us not to struggle to organize trips to the desert from italy since he would have offered us a wide choice of trips we would have been able to book directly on our arrival at the hotel. He also gave us his mobile phone number just in case of emergency while we would be in morocco.
Here is the description of the place we found once arrived:
- location: the kasbah is on an unpaved track 12 km far from erfoud. If you want direction look for "Restaurant du Sud" in erfoud, which belongs to Ibrahim Sahidi. The track is quite easy, which means that you can drive with a normal car (not 4x4) even if in this case you will have to drive with extreme caution and always looking for the best point of the track to avoid 'craters' in the land... the kasbah is visible from some km of distance since it's the only building for kilometers around. The location is perfect for relaxing, enjoying the silence of the desert and as a starting point for daily trips to the desert and the oasis.
- the hotel: is a square construction with a big garden inside, with palms, mellons, flowers. Inside there is a smaller construction where rooms and restaurant are located. The building is made the traditional way (mud) which is really nice and characteristic. Our suite was very large, with a living area. Bedroom has got air conditioning (without it the temperature in the room gets HOOOOOTTTTT!!!! during the day). Bathroom is nice and simple. Electicity comes from a generator, so the owner will ask you to tell him when you plan not to be in your room, so that he can turn electricity off and save some gas. There is a big room for breakfast (homemade by an adorable lady who speaks arab, french and spanish) while dinner is usually served in the garden, while the wind blows from the desert... there is no menu, the lady will cook what she wants, but the dinner is always so rich that you won't have problems in finding something you like. There is a small swimming pool that during the hottest hours is a pure salvation, with very fresh water. The owner will ask you to call him for swimming pool so that he will uncover it for you (it's usually cover to prevent water from evaporating).
- comfort: it's rough place, if you're looking for 5 stars comfort this is not the place: water from the sink cannot be drunk of course and will be always warm (sometimes hot :-), there are no atm, no internet connection, and no tv. It's a place made to contemplate, to think over your life from afar, bring many books if you plan to stay here several days and chat with the lady and his husband to get into moroccain culture, have a domino game with her (she will win...) and enjoy the sounds of the desert. IMPORTANT! You are in the desert, the real desert, don't be surprised if you 'meet' some animals in the hotel or in your room: always check your shoes before wearing them (small scorpions), bring a good flies repellent, and dont' scream if a tiny small mouse of the desert is having a walk on the floor :-D they don't do any harm and are part of the environment, with a few standard rules you can avoid problems ;-)
- trips: enjoy a 4x4 trip to the dunes, watch the dawn on a dromedary, visit one of the oasis and have a slow and sleepy lunch in one of the small 'restaurants' in Merzouga, followed by a peaceful sleep on the restaurant sofa...
- general opinion: now that i've made it clear what kind of place it is, i have no problem in stating that this is one of the hotels that in my life has 100% fulfilled my expectations. Great experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kasbah Hotel Said is set in the magical countryside of Southern Morocco, located between Erfoudis green palm trees and the fascinating Sahara Desert. The hotel has a leafy garden that surrounds a peaceful terrace and a refreshing swimming pool. Built around the terrace, all rooms at the Kasbah Hotel Said reflect the Saharan charm, with traditional blankets and hangings made by local craftsmen and women. Each room is equipped with its own private bathroom with sinks made out of Erfoud fossil marble and carved out of the rock. Two of the bedrooms also have a terrace. Each day couscous, tajine, kebab, salads and many other Berber, Nomad and Saharan specialties are available at the Kasbah kitchen and guests are welcome to relax in the Moroccan lounge and enjoy some mint tea. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kasbah Hotel Erfoud