“Nice pool area, nothing else.”
Review of Kasbah Tizimi

Kasbah Tizimi
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Erfoud
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were on the Archers tour and our guide talked up this hotel on the way from Fes, possibly knowing that it may disappoint. It certainly did, pool area was fine but our room was dirty, mats were threadbare and we even found a 2" long brooch pin on the floor, proof that it hadn't been cleaned. Room change was denied as they were full. Our window view was of an 8ft high wall 6ft away with power cables. The room smelled of incense, probably to mask the sewerage smell. The beds (twins!) were rock hard and the most uncomfortable we have ever slept on causing backache .
Hot buffet food was, again, barely warm, desserts were dire and breakfast was average continental fare.
Other guests had larger rooms, double beds and chairs to sit on, I guess we were unlucky but we couldn't recommend this hotel at all.
It is also quite a way out from the town but it didn't look like a town we would want to go into unlike Fes and Ouarzazate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hargrave

Reviewed April 15, 2013

arrived yesterday after along drive from Fez. Arriving at night makes the sense of chance oasis encounter even more realistic. The decor is authentic berber and the austere rooms lend to the amboence. Very clean and the Shower water was hot. a great pool to cool down after a dusty day. I am enjoying it.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Antonio d
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This Kasbah style hotel is a tad tired, but still has a charm about it. The furnishings add to the atmosphere in and around the lobby, and the rooms are a good size with a king size bed.Maybe our room differed from yours! The bathroom made use of the local fossil stone ( Devonian) and although tired still has charm.I recommend the maintenance crew start at one end and work their way through to the end. There are lots of little bits to be screwed, tightened and tweaked.
Poor lighting around the bed makes reading almost impossible and the AC needs some serious adjustments.A good looking pool, but too cold to take a dip.
The food is acceptable but still very average.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gunner do
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, the place looks gorgeous but service and food is terrible. The choice for food was either a buffet or pizza. I did not care for the buffet (mostly cold food), so I chose the pizza. It was the worst pizza I ever ate in my life, and perhaps even the worst food. On top of that the head waiter was an extremely grumpy man, who was apparently not interested in serving a single traveller (all other guests were in big groups).

The bed was rather hard and pre-formed, but luckily with more or less my body shape. If it wasn't for the continuous low drone of a generator or A/C unit and the water leaking sounds (a leaking toilet in the next room?) I would have had a good night sleep. The next morning I could not take a decent a shower because the water varied between lukewarm and scalding hot.

During checkout the receptionist tried to shortchange me (or perhaps he was just exceptionally bad add math with double digit numbers). When I pointed this out he reluctantly give me one of the filthiest bills I have seen on my one month trip.

Needless to say, I was relieved I only had to stay here one night.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Beautiful, big kasbah (hotel) in the middle of nowhere. Erfoud is known for its fossiles

The hotel has a nice courtyard with a fountain, beautiful flowers and plants all over the place, nice colours, berber carpets, a swimming pool (very nice when the sun goes down) and a restaurant.
Room size and bed were OK. Bathroom was certainly not very clean.
Around the swimming pool are some tables and chairs and a small bar.
During our stay, most guests were part of big groups. Restaurant is organized for groups (buffet) Service and quality is avarage

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we were on the Archers tour of Morocco and this was the two day stay we'd looked forward to most. Erfoud lies close to the outlier of the sahara called the erg of Chebbi reached by an exhilerating 4x4 ride over soft sand or bumpy loose stones laid bare by winds. First though, we had to settle in at the hotel... Our room was the showpiece. It was the one Kate Winslet slept in while making one of her movies. Bathroom was carved out of slabs of marble studded with the amonite and other fossils that the town of Erfoud is famed for (David Attenborough featured the fossils in his last but one series) HE didn't sleep in our room as far as we know. The sitting room was cushioned divans behind pale blue drapes. The bed was enormous and again the muslin drapes could be drawn if you wanted privacy (there was a small terrace outside, with the pool less than six feet from the window ... so I guess Kate Winslet used to draw the drapes... Unfortunately the wind kept blowing sand into the pool during our stay, but that meant no one passed our window. The rest of the hotel was a visual experience as well; and the bar (a first for this holiday, as mostly the strongest drink we had been able to buy was fresh crushed oranges ) was what Rik's bar must have looked like if we had bothered to visit it in Rabat the week before. So many of the other members of the tour came to look enviously round our suite we could have covered our last days' expenses if we'd charged so I guess ours was the best suite of rooms but I will not round down my score of five stars to cover the rest.

Food was loads of meat and veg dishes so most of the other guests enjoyed the food

Room Tip: Ring ahead and ask for the Kate Winslet room then any other near the pool :00212535576179
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I LOVE traditional Moroccan style hotels, but this one is quite tatty.
The rooms (even, like ours, overlooking the car-park) are dark with dim electric lighting & uneven (dangerous?) floor tiles. The furnishing is basic (no drawers,no chairs, just a small stool). In the bathroom there's no plug in the crudely repaired copper washbasin. The plug outlet was so uneven that our rubber "Universal Plug" could not form a seal. There was nowhere to hang our towels to dry apart from over the shower curtain-rail (& you have to be a giant to reach that!) When we arrived there was a smell of joss sticks - presumably to hide the smell of drains that was evident by the time we left!
The public rooms & (freezing cold) swimming pool are better furnished, the staff are very friendly & helpful, & the set meal (soup, chicken kebabs, rice & garnishes, followed by crème caramelle) was better than the rather bland buffet dinner the next night & the breakfasts.
Their shop had the poorest selection (& at 5Drh the most expensive!) of postcards we saw anywhere in Morocco!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple