“BEWARE!”

Macro Fossiles Kasbah
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Erfoud
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Ammar Bouaich is the owner. The fossils are beautiful and the salesman an expert. I bought £800 worth of goods and was promised delivery in 6 weeks with a new base being made and photos sent for me to OK it. Firstly they tried to palm me off with the base I had refused saying all was already en route when I asked why no photo. After many phone calls (Ammars Mum was ill, he was ill....) and emails I eventually received a photo. Hassan in Paris who is their transporter never phones you back or answers texts. Low and behold 6 months later when I had given up and asked for my money back (ha ha) the goods appeared at my door. They are lovely but in the heat of the moment I paid too much and maybe should not have paid the full amount. Tread carefully.

4  Thank cronealone

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We loved the sinks in the Riad where we spent the night and Rough Tours (Youssef) made sure we got a good look at where they were made. We got to visit the actual manufacturing area where they were cutting and polishing the stone (with out any safety gear of course). Inside was a treasure chest of different bath fixtures, trinkets, etc. We found two fairly matching fossil sinks and decided to lay down the $1000 for the pair, which included ground shipping (air was more). Found similar sized sinks in the US for much more. We can confirm that we DID receive our sinks, but not in the 2 months + 1 week as per our invoice. It took a total of 4.5 mo and many, many calls to both Macro Fossiles, Rough Tours, and the US importer - Luca at Elen Importing (New Jersey). The challenges seem to be on this side of the pond with Luca as once they were shipped from Morocco and in the US, we got one excuse from Luca after the other.

So if you take our Moroccan friends up on offer to ship your purchase home via ground, be ready to deal with Luca to move on the inventory once it clears US Customs.

1  Thank LovesTravel51
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Why visit another shop? Well this one is packed with 300 million year old fossil remains of what was once the Sahara sea. The Sahara is now mined exclusively for these fossils to sell to the tourist trade. You can buy a piece of unique jewellery, a plate or a fossil ornament. This is a very different shop and prices are very reasonable. Most tourists buy a small piece and some have tables and furniture items shipped home.
It is interesting to see the raw material advance from the block stage to finish as a glossy, piece of decoration

2  Thank Gunner do
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was a kasbah that was being restored to supposedly attract young people back to their place of origin. There was not a lot to see and we had to drive out of our way to see it at the end of a long day. Don't think I would recomend making the effort.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Amazing fossils and good price. No need to plan anything specially for here but if you are around or passing by than can be visited.

4  Thank Bilge S