“Beautiful resort”

Amani Tiwi Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Ukunda
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Located on the south coast of Mombasa beautiful and quiet..food was excellent and especially if you love you indian food they got it covered. Staff very friendly and overall was a lovely time we had in Mombasa. I would recommend anyone this resort who want to go for peace and quiet...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Amit S

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Recently stayed only one night in this hotel due to early repatriation back to the UK as Thomson decided to remove all British tourists from Kenya in accordance with Foreign Office Advice.

Hotel was clean and tidy but very outdated and tired. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were very poor. Our first 2 rooms were the standard rooms, the bathrooms in both were horrendous. Black grouting to the tiles, corroded taps and shower heads and cracks to the ceramic in the sink. Mosquito nets were full of holes and did not fit around the beds fully, leaving a huge gap at the end of the bed rendering it useless! We were eventually upgraded to a deluxe room which was much better, but still in my opinion not 4* standard. Worst of all neither of the 3 rooms we tried had a fire alarm fitted. We know that some did as we were woken up at 00:30am by an adjacent unoccupied room's fire alarm going off which took 10 minutes to silence.

There were 6-8 feral cats roaming freely around the hotel, they were in the restaurant jumping up onto the tables begging for scraps of food. The staff did noting to shoo them away and my wife was surrounded by all the cats who were jumping up at her. She was terrified, I eventually had to resort to man handling them away quite forcibly.

Pool was nice, it's about 160m in length but in places it's cracked with sharp tile edges exposed to small fingers. Beware family's with children!

The beach is ok but you can only get in the water at high tide due to the rocks and coral being exposed at low tide making it impossible to walk to the waters edge. Quite why you would go to the beach is beyond me as the beach boys are incessant. They simply do not leave you alone. They are not allowed on hotel property but they will stop at nothing in trying to attract your attention. We had a meal at the beach side restaurant and we both felt very uncomfortable, constantly being watched by the beach boys while eating and they were constantly waving and shouting to attract our attention.

The food was ok but nothing special, the main restaurant was a little dated, the table cloths were a little threadbare and food stained in places.

All in all we were glad that Thomson took the decision to move everyone to the Baobab for security reasons and repatriate us all back to the UK .

Room Tip: Always choose deluxe as a minimum.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kev_Baker
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews ,but was pleasantly surprised ,all the staff were very pleasant and helpful,and with a variety of restaurants to choose from you will not go hungary. The beach was much better than we were led to believe,as the soft white sand extended for a good 50 metres before you got to the coral bit which was well covered at high tide.
both the indian ocean and the pool were unbelievably warm ,which is more than i can say about the shower,but a luke warm shower is fine after a long hot day , so didnt have a problem with that.
Overall we had a fantastic week and wouldnt hesitate to book the same place again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Timothy A
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a booking at a different resort which fell through at the last minute (see a separate review) and I was initially very nervous about going to Amani Tiwi as it was a last minute decision and there were mixed reviews of Amani so I was not sure what to make of it.

I can say that we have just returned from a great family holiday at Amani, with a temptation to extend our stay and we are considering returning here in June. I will try and highlight what other reviewers haven't but also give my most honest opinion (which I have shared directly with the hotel):

The good stuff:

a. Great pool (as all reviewers have said) without doubt. The biggest positive here is unlike most resorts, the pool runs by all rooms which quite strategically spreads the residents through out the resort rather that everyone congregating around one pool.
b. They have a bigger upper pool (seemed more quiet) and a bigger lower pool (where most activities took place) connected by streams and smaller pools.
c. They have two slopes built as "water slides" it was a great plus for our 3yr old and for most kids (and adults) enjoyed this. Most of the interconnected pools are shallow enough so children can play without much adult supervision in the water.
d. Really good food with a choice of 5 restaurants - some comments on food:
- On the the full board option you can only eat at the buffet restaurant as part of your package but get a 20% discount on all other restaurants. Tea and coffee with snacks served twice in the day.
- On all inclusive (which is FB + includes drinks) option allows you to eat at an additional three restaurants ie La bella vita and Baharini (at the beach) and Kahawa corner (from 10am - 6pm) which have specific all inclusive menus (but eat when you wish and as many times as you like) for those on that package but also serve additional Ala carte items which you can select and pay for with a 20% discount. Ice-cream and free drinks are part of the all inclusive menus.
- What I liked most is during busy Easter weekend they had a separate kiddies dinner at one of the restaurants (Kahawa) served early and before main dinner. At normal times they have nice small sized meals for the little ones if you want them to have a meal earlier and not at the buffet restaurant.
- At 4 o'clock tea they had a live pancake station - I have stayed at other 4-5* resorts that have been reviewed here by others and this is special unlike the usual cakes and tea served by other resorts. Felt a bit different and nice.
- They cater for diabetics (sugar free juices at breakfast), have brown flour products including brown Indian chapatis as part of their normal buffet menu.
- They have a very good Indian selection buffet which is not standard for most hotels - so a good place for the vegetarians who are well catered for.
- I was surprised to read a review that their food was repetitive - for a buffet selection I was really surprised at the changes on each day. On one day they served us shawarmas as part of the buffet which was a pleasant surprise. Their baked products were of very good quality - I must meet the pastry chef next time I come here.
e. Lots of activities for kids of all ages (with a separate animation team for children):
- Table tennis, and it has a net unlike what one of the reviewers said
- Two table football games
- A watoto express train where they have several activities such as painting, art and craft, video watching, play station games, swings etc.
- Added to this, they also had other organised activities such as children fashion shows, sand castle building, beach races etc (but note this was over Easter so part of a special program).
f. A decently equipped gym with a very enthusiastic instructor
- During Easter (and I guess when they have a close to full capacity) in addition to animation activities they has Yoga by the beach (6am!) and Zumba classes.
- The gym was well equipped even compared to several city business hotels I have stayed at in other countries. I only managed to use this once as there was enough to keep me busy outside!
g. The property on either side does not have any other buildings or resorts so long stretches of beach are yours. As a result they also have very few beach boys who do not bother you so much. We were only asked on day 1 if we wanted to buy anything and we said no thank you and that was it for the remaining 5 days.
h. Security - in the midst of all the media coverage and travel warnings this place is very secure. Again due to its seclusion but I noticed that they had several guards protecting the resort. At one point when we ventured out, one of the guard asked us not to for our own safety but quite honestly we did this for 6 days in a row and did not once feel insecure as there are very few people/ strangers on the beach. It is also about 5-6kms off the main road which gives it that extra security.
i. The animation staff and staff in general (food and beverage, reception staff etc) are helpful and courteous.
j. We got an email a day after checking out thanking us for our stay and also the day before checking out we were given a questionnaire to complete regarding our stay and that the hotel was happy to receive written feedback on tripadvisor. This was a good and honest touch and hopefully the feedback will be taken in good light.

Things that possibly need improvement but didn't really bother us much and will not prevent us from coming back:

a. Agreed that the resort lacks that 5* feeling in some aspects speficially the bathrooms, the towels (beach and room are a bit old though are clean), the furniture in the main buffet restaurant is a bit dated . A bit of investment here would help uplift the face of this resort and they could easily charge 20-30% more. Since everything was clean this would not deter me from going back. It is more about aesthetics.
b. General maintenance on some of the tiling in the pool is required. I noticed in some older photos that have been posted some broken tiling on some parts of the pool and it was sad to see that this has not been fixed. To maintain a higher * rating I think management needs to invest in sorting this out as it can pose a health hazard.
c. During the busy period sun beds can be a bit of an issue - not entirely managements fault but they should have a policy that sub beds should not be booked around the pool. We observed some people had left their towels on beds for 3-5 hours and were no where to be seen. As a paying guest I felt I had the right to move people's towels as it was highly inconsiderate and did so and asked other patrons to do so where they struggled to find a place. This is only an issue at full capacity but other days we had enough beds available to pick and choose as we liked.
d. The maintenance/ corrective action needs some pushing - we had one or two issues which were eventually fixed but it took some reminding (sometimes more than once). The reception should maintain a book and log such complains so they can "tick" off what is done and monitor what is outstanding.
e. Yes as others have pointed out they have power cuts, but this is not unusual in Kenya. They have a generator which kicks in (sometimes takes a minute or two) but welcome to Africa this is how things work and we should be grateful that we had power in such a remote place. I have heard of worse experiences in Zanzibar where power cuts have gone on for full days and only turned on for 3-4 hours in the night so a 2 min wait will not kill!
f. The hot water issue - I observed that the resort has solar water heating installed. Only on one evening (out of 6) we had luke warm water and on that evening we had a late shower and the resort was at close to full capacity so it is understandable that they did not have hot water. This did not matter to us. In such weather warm water is good enough.
g. The beach immediately facing the hotel is a bit stony and rocky but 200-300m (less than 2mins walk) on the right just outside the resort you end up on nice sandy beach for a long stretch (thanks to tripadvisor reviewer for the tip!).

Overall a hidden gem and experience and at the price we paid I would return without thinking twice (considering coming back in June) as it is really value for what you pay. I am sure once the resort gets a serious uplift (again more aesthetics than anything else) so will the prices. Would I pay much more for to come back? Possibly but not much more than 15%.

Room Tip: Block 6 top floor. Faces the upper pool which is quieter and away from all daily pool activities. Al...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank UB_Kenya
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Had alot of fun, the staff was very engaging not forgetting the energetic animators who kept everybody on their toes.
They had prepared my room very well (Honeymoon package)and surprised us with cake at dinner
I also witnessed an angagement on the beach as we were doing beach aerobics and several suprise birthday cakes during dinner and at the evening shows after dinner...Must return...SOON

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank nyanza_13
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The only thing I was not happy was with the room facilities such as the Air Conditioning & Washrooms. The Air conditioning is not fit for the room & a bigger one should be placed. The washrooms however are fine except their small size.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2014

A luxurious 4 or 5 star resort this is not. The 5 of us were there for two nights and we are two adjoining rooms; don't get me wrong the resort is very nice, but lacks maintenance and refinement. We went when the occupancy was at 25% only hence clearly more than enough staff to handle our issues. (The occupancy sheet for available for all to see at reception.) Despite this the rooms were not ready properly (had not been checked for all items, lack of toiletries, lack of umbrellas despite the heavy rain). Upon requesting for these items it often took upto an hour or If I got fed up I had to go to reception to get it. The luxuries you expect in a 4 start or 5 start we're simply not present in the rooms or had deteriorated and not maintained.

We had no hot water in our room for instance which could not be fixed. So they issued another room (5106) to us for just the use of the bathroom facilities. Unfortunately they could not move us to another room as my elderly parents were in the next room who we needed to keep an eye on and they needed the ground floor for mobility reasons. Hence one morning we used that room's bathroom (5106) , whilst the next morning when we went to that room(5106) it had been already been given to someone else. We took one look and saw some bags and ran out, this was clearly a significant security issue too. All 5 of us had to use my parents one bathroom for the last day which was very difficult.

All of the indoor games (pool, table tennis, darts, carom) had not been maintained at all and are falling apart. The darts were so blunt you could not even hurt a fly, both pools tables had broken wooden pieces hanging off it, the table tennis net was just hanging on.

On the good side the beach is amazing with beautiful hammocks hanging off trees, the pool is very long and thin (some 140 meters) and hence offers privacy to all users. The buffet food was good and as my father had special dietary needs they cooked specially for him. The alacart restaurants were of a good choice too, a bit expensive but good. The tea provided at 4pm included hot food such as fresh pancakes. There was local entertainment every night which was a good bonus.

The staff simply need to be quick to respond to customer queries and this would be a much better place. The hotel really needs to invest in maintenance, a lot of things are falling apart. If this is to be sold as a 4 or 5 star resort it needs staff response and maintenance appropriate to the stars they are claiming.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DrRishiDShah
G M, General Manager at Amani Tiwi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us.

We have taken keen note of the points raised and will have them addressed comprehensively.

Hope you will give us a second chance to serve you better.

Asante Sana.