“Kick off your shoes.....”

Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Naivasha
Nairobi
“Kick off your shoes.....”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I recently visited the lodge on a business trip and what a wonderful experience I had! Beginning with the rooms, staff, meals now that is what you call service. Its nice to stay in a place where you feel like everything was set out with you in mind. The staff make the place feel really warm and their friendliness is contagious. I will definitely go back with my family.

Room Tip: Rooms neared the reception are the best for a stroll to and fro without needed the services of the h...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
How Glad we are that you came and had a nice time. This Unit is special. It is in a very special place and sometimes we joke that God was here when he created the World.
We are glad you have joined a team of Guest who love this undiscovered place. The team her looks for ward to seeing you again soon.
Good Day.
The GRVL Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Alsace, France
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were privileged to attend our niece's wedding at the hotel. This hotel consists of an estate of carefully-planned villas and rooms around a golf course, with a swimming pool, driving range, a choice of restaurants, a conference centre and optional activities for guests and children. It is set in splendid isolation at 7000 feet, with tremendous views over the Great Rift Valley and the Aberdares.

We stayed in a Lodge Room, a few minutes walk from the main reception and a further few minutes from the Conference centre and the buffet restaurant.

Our room was comfortable and clean, well-maintained everyday by Peter, our room steward, and had an amazing view of the Aberdares. We slept with our curtains, doors and windows open every night to get full benefit of the beautiful sunrise and to hear the birds and the 'sounds of Africa' - in our case often the buffalo making their way down to the lake. We never suffered a single mosquito bite either!

Previous posters have mentioned overflowing showers, but we never had any problem with the plumbing (and had copious hot water!). It would have been helpful to have had more drawer space, but we managed successfully and I know that the management have taken on board this earlier criticism and are intending to implement a solution in the very near future.

For medical reasons I need guaranteed electricity at night, and this was never a problem at this hotel.

The grounds are beautifully designed and maintained, and access is easy for all guests, even those in wheelchairs or with walking difficulties. The altitude does mean that you may need to take it a bit more gently when returning from the buffet restaurant ... and if you've over-indulged, which is all too likely given the delicious variety of fresh and cooked dishes available (especially the curries and the pasta station, which was a great hit with younger members in our party .. plus the omelettes and pancakes at breakfast!!!), just adopt a relaxed pace and stop to enjoy the views, the flowers and plants and the extensive bird life!

As we were there for a wedding, many of the meals consisted of set menus. Coming from France, and only 15 km from a Michelin 3* restaurant, I am delighted to say that the standard of these set meals for the wedding was the highest I have ever experienced in a hotel - and I am a 'foodie'! The chef provided well-cooked and attractively flavoured dishes, hot or cold as the dish required, combining African and European ingredients and producing frankly gourmet cuisine. This was served quickly and efficiently and the whole experience reflected the care and detailed planning that had gone into making each event a real delight for the palate. WELL DONE.

At other meals we ate in the buffet restaurant, where there was always a choice of fresh and tasty foods, served with smiles and enthusiasm. Delicious ... even though my request for cold milk in my tea did seem to throw some members of the waiting staff, though they always found some for me!

It was good to find that Wifi was available both at reception and at the conference centre (and in some of the rooms), as my son had to catch up on some important business (the world sadly does not stop turning for a wedding!) and was able to deal with it satisfactorily. It was also good to be able to use the computers for free at all times of day in reception!

One of the most exciting experiences of our stay was our contact with Daniel Kilonzo, the resort's naturalist, who led various nature activities - bird watching, nature walking, star gazing (under a cloudless sky with a powerful telescope), expert knowledge and whose friendliness to the young and the not-so-young really made us feel at home even though we were a world away from what we usually see as 'wildlife'. He made us feel safe (even though several of us had a great fear of snakes) and welcome. He's patient and always upbeat. A real tonic.

We had excellent service from personnel in all areas at the resort, from the cheerful and 'can-do' attitudes at reception, to all the employees we met during our stay, whether behind the bar or simply passing us on a path walking through the grounds. A cheery jambo/hello and direct eye contact was always on offer, and we felt part of a happy community as well as well-cared-for guests.

I hope one day to return to the GRVL ... I am sure that I will find that the warmth of the welcome and genuine good service will be as good as I left it.

Just one small suggestion however. If the owners of the resort could put a good word in the ear of the services responsible for the state of the access road from Moi Road North to the entrance of the resort, arrival will be much smoother and enjoyable, and the guests will be in better shape!

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Alsacienne
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking quality time to post this review. The Team truly appreciates. We are grateful that you have given us lots of Bouquets but also mentioned where you felt we can do better.
As you mention, we do take all feedback so seriously and use it as a basis of improving our offers and services delivery.
All matters raised are now on my screen and you can watch this space to see future reviews become more and more pleasant to all of us.
The Team here wishes you a happy New and prosperous 2012.
Kind Regards,.
Nairobi
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We recently stayed at the Great Rift Valley Lodge and our experience was great. The hotel is beautiful and quiet. The view from the room is breathtaking.

The staff were friendly and very helpful and hospitable. I was amazed at the numerous children's activities that they had. There was a daily kids program which had our daughter constantly occupied. This gave my husband and I room to have some quality time together.

The rooms are nice and clean.

Food? We had the option of having our meals at the a la carte restaurant or the buffet in the main restaurant. The food was great! My compliments to the Chefs who went out of their way to give the guests a great culinary experience.

I would recommend this hotel to those who want to have a relaxing holiday!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jarabe
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting feedback on your recent visit to GRVL.
We are glad you enjoyed and the Children were ably taken care of by our Adventurers team which could easily be the best in the World.
We are glad you enjoyed and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards,
The GRVL Team.
Usa River
Reviewed November 18, 2011

A beautiful location upon which is a hotel with outstanding views and wonderful recreational facilities. If you are a tourist or somebody wh would like to relax and enjoy the ambience of the public rooms you will be sorely disappointed because the conference traffic had taken over. So what could be a sumptuous and intimate dinner is derailed by the hotel directing everybody to the conference canteen where businessmen compete to see how high they can pile plates of meat and stodge. A large screen shows football incessantly. Absolutely horrible and really very sad but guess that is what makes the money for this lodge.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank copper375
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Guest,
We acknowledge receipt of your Guest review for your last visit. We do notice you may not have liked the Clientile mix at the Unit.
As you noticed we are a large complex and we have been very succesful in separating the various Market segments that we have and fully addressing their requirements. It would appaer we lost it in your case and for this I offer my profuse apologies.
We look forward to having you again so we have an opportunity to correct your impression of the Unit.
We are glad you stayed with us
Kind Regards,
THE GRVL TEAM
UK
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We have recently returned from a six night Virgin Heritage Flying Safari visiting Samburu Intrepids, Great Rift Valley Lodge and Golf Resort and Mara Intrepids.
At each safari location we were allocated a safari guide who remained with us for the whole of our stay, driving us around the area in land cruisers or land rovers which were more comfortable than expected and eminently suitable for the varying terrain and purpose. Ample bottled mineral water was provided free of charge throughout, except if ordered in restaurants. Electric fences surrounded each camp, as well as guards being available, so that at all times we felt secure and safe.

On arrival at each camp we were welcomed with glasses of fruit juice and shown to our sleeping quarters. Each site was well provided for by well stocked shops selling reasonably priced goods.

All our guides were pleasant and professional in their approach and were extremely knowledgeable when it came to finding and identifying animals and birds. In Samburu and Mara Intrepid they all worked together in a network informing each other by radio upon spotting the locations of difficult to find types of animals. All camps are significantly different in the type of terrain and the types of animals to be seen and therefore complement each other. We had a great time.

I had previously read Trip Advisor reports on these locations so I already had preconceptions of what to expect and separate reports follow for each location.

The place we felt most at risk in was Nairobi where there were foreign office warnings and numerous armed security guards and policemen with Kalashnikovs in the airport and other public places to protect against terrorists and robbers. This meant we were not inclined to venture in areas that were not patrolled.

Great Rift Valley Lodge and Golf Resort

I had read bad things in Trip advisor about this camp and was prepared for the worst.

The accommodation was an en suite room with a kind of large plantation at the back.
The view from the veranda was excellent for seeing many types of coloured birds which are the special feature of this location.

Unfortunately the mosquito net on the bed was holed in four places and the windows were left open at night by staff unlike other places we visited. I did not see any mosquitoes but had I done so the kill spray provide was empty suggesting a lack of attention to detail. However, the staff on Reception were quick to remedy this by immediately providing repellent.
Having said this I did not hear or see any mosquitoes during our stay.

The road from the camp to the highway a few kilometres away was bad but did not prove as bad as made out in other reports and our driver negotiated it slowly and well with little discomfort for us, admittedly having to cross to the other side in places. I have an artificial hip so this was a particular worry beforehand that proved unfounded. A Slender Mongoose, Rock Hyrax, Jackal, Waterbucks etc were seen from this road. The camp road joins the Trans Africa highway which is a modern motorway and rapidly gets you to most locations.

The airport is next to the camp.

John, the very friendly resident Maasai, gave us an excellent nature walk on the first night especially covering medicinal plants the Maasai use. However, the a la carte restaurant was closed and the buffet meal provided was extensive but mediocre. A large conference was taking place that may have affected this. The a la carte meal the next day was excellent with the buffet breakfast once again mediocre with again a large number of conference guests having to be attended to.

The bird table at breakfast was heavily populated with many colourful species so it pays to sit where you can easily view it.

All staff were friendly and helpful

The full day trip we took to Lake Nakuru with our very good guide Jack was something not to be missed with not only thousands of flamingos and pelicans but very close sightings of White and Black Rhinos, Rothchild Giraffes, Olive Baboons, Leopard, Lion, Cape Buffaloes, Hippo, Zebras, Ostriches, Augur Buzzard, Martial Eagle, various types of stork, Tree Hyrax etc. and wonderful ‘Out of Africa’ views to behold.

A boat trip on Lake Naivasha the next day allowed us to see amongst other things Hippos, Pied Kingfishers and Fish Eagles that were encouraged by our boatman to pick up fish whilst they were in flight that he had thrown into the water. A brilliant cine camera opportunity.

A far more enjoyable stay was therefore experienced than previously expected and the above are only some of the activities available. All told a very worthwhile addition to the other camps even if , as in our case, you are not a golfer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George P
Njenga M, Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2015
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort.
We also thank you for taking time to post the above review and my team and I are glad that you had a fulfilling stay with us.
We are committed to giving you our client the best possible service at our resort, and also welcome you to try any of our other camps and hotels spread out among the best destinations in Kenya.
Thank you once more for your valuable comments and we hope to see you soon.

Regards,
Management
Embu, Fukushima, Japan
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I am very grateful to the team at Great rift valley lodge and the Heritage hotels for hosting us since September 5th-16th 2011.Warm welcome by the Maasai community dances and a souvenir gift to accompany you. It was a nice and exciting experience ranging from the accommodation, dinners, dishes cocktails, swimming, drives, conference facilities,company and friendship from the friendly staff members. I made permanent friends and i have a longing to come back there again and enjoy with my friends may be on a different platform. Its an exciting place to be. It had praise of almost if not all the delegates, staff and HRH Prince Edward, i interacted with Him and he was really encouraged. A great place there with cool environs and breath taking scenery of the eburu escarpment of the great rift valley with neatly done golf course. Accommodation facilities were a talk and praise of many. Congrats top its management for maintaining it ti its standards a notch higher. Hosting international customers and high ranking personalities, really gives the lodge an exciting memory to each attendant. God bless all.

However, i have great concern about the lost items from the delegates and staff, i inclusive and most bizarre the phone that went missing the last few minutes of our departure. These items include phones, umbrella, my camera plus its carry case. If we get a feedback on the progress i will be grateful. For me i am really affected by the loss of my camera which i made aware to the management.

a very nice and exciting place for a holiday, team building sessions conferencing and
dinner especially bush dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms located along the A's are excellent i was at A26 and really loved the environment, not noi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank AnthonyRichard Q
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
WE acknowledge receipt of your recently posted review. We are glad you had a nice time over the time we had the Presidents Awards and International Gold Event. These as you say were attended by by both HE The President of Kenya and HRH Prince Edward of Wessex and were a special time to both the delegates and the Hotel Staff
We note all you good comments and do thank.
I have also taken note about your missing Camera during check out and will follow up with the Unit.
We have a very good record of lost items if indeed this was picked up in the Unit we should be able to find it. We shall be in touch
The GRVL TEAM
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It was 2 months in Nairobi and we had not done a single excursion. Didn't even visit the Nairobi National Park which is just a 20 mins drive.

And when we got the opportunity to do a weekend away, a friend recommended the Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Course. A beautiful property in Naivasha which is just about 2 hours away from Nairobi. Since it was our first road trip we really were happy to see some smooth roads outside of Nairobi, but beware the approach road to the resort - about 12 kms off the highway is terrible and I would say damaging for the car too.

This property boasts of a super green 19-hole golf course. And when we got there we saw a lot of people who had probably driven up for the weekend to enjoy the game.

The lodge is spread out and there is a lot of greenery and the feel of the open jungle can't be missed. Our room overlooked the horizon and it was a beautiful view, especially when the rains came in. We loved the net around the bed and reminded us of the very traditional Indian bed sets. The room had some handy stuff like an umbrella which was useful on the rainy evening and a torch which you need to navigate your path during dinner time. Initially there was some issue with hot water but was resolved after a phone call.

Because the property is in the middle of the wild, its most suited to take the all meal package. Unless you choose to stay at the private villas which are fitted with a fully equipped kitchen and they even have a small grocery shop in the complex to pick up some essentials and fresh veggies / meat.

Meals were a pleasant experience - good variety, fresh and prompt service. We suggest that you get to the meals early on since most of the desserts usually get eaten up very quickly if the lodge is packed with some corporate groups. Room service is not a very loaded option and its best not to bother ordering. We asked for a couple of glasses and an ice-bucket which took ages. I suppose the size of the place slows down room-service.

You must have a drink at the bar which has a huge fire-place. Lovely setting.

What did we do? Well, we didn't do anything, just rested, ate a lot and enjoyed the lovely weather. But we did do something fun - had our first experience with some golf clubs. Yes, you pay a small fee - hire a bucket of 50 balls, a club and you get to hit off in the practice field. Good fun, I say go do it.

We've short-listed this place for yet another weekend getaway when the families visit us. And then we may just choose to stay at the villa.

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the 2nd level so that you can get a better view. if you have kids, mention that...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kapsi
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Daer Guest,
We are glad you made to the "Oasis in the Desert" as I fondly refer to The Great Rift Valley Lodge and Golf Resort.
I am elated you did have a nice time and you have taken quality time to express the same. GRVL is special. Not far from the lake so you can go boating. Lots of Bird life and Butterflies if you like doing some nice walling in the Unit. The Adventurers Team will be happy to join you. We now have some residents Animals in Impalas, Gazelles and shortly Kongoni and Zebra. Not far away you can go do Horsing. And yes GOLF is a Must, even for lessons if you like,
GRVL is an Hour away from Nairobi and so you can visit easily.
The Tradition of Kenya is to have some wonderful Curry Luncheons on Sundays and this you can get at the Unit.
The Team looks forward to hosting you.
I have noted your concerns about Room Service and Deserts and this is now o top of my screen.
Good Day