“youth apealing atraction”

and up
Hell's Gate National Park: Full-Day Adventure
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Naivasha
Reviewed January 22, 2014

located in the out skirts of Nairobi HELLS GATE PARK touches the base of rift valley, the park provides biking expedition, trekking up the gouges viewing the vents, beautiful picnic ground its proximity to lake Naivasha provides an opportunity for more fan on boat rides on the banks of laKe Naivasha with a variety of migratory birds, butterflies and with a population of hippopotamus, the trip to this location takes morning biking, trekking in hels gate afternoon boat ride at lake Naivasha& overnight camp along the banks of lake Naivasha,
the facility is ideal for a day family outing, camping and a friends expedition
resourse

in 7 reviews
"local guide"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a good day trip out of Nairobi. Would recommend bringing food and water as you won't get anything on site. We hired the bikes on site rather than at thr entrance road about 2km from the part entrance with that you pay a 1 off charge. We used the bikes both ways and the goingbis OK. On the fittness scale I'd be 3 out of 10 and I found it fine. Plenty to see and when you get to th2 Devils Gorge you can take a break and the walk the Gorge. ? From what you here rain in areas km's away can cause a flash flood so as before you set out into the Gorge. You will be offered a guide if required and they aren't particularly pushy. One of our group knew it well so we passed. All in it was a good experience.

Enjoy

2  Thank Dublin_Five_O
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Nov 2012: This was the first park visit on my first trip to Africa. I'm an avid cyclist and love seeing the world from two wheels, so opted for the more adventurous bike rental tour.

My expectation was that this was more of a landscape and hiking tour, but after a mile in, I was amazed to see gazelles, then a host of other wildlife. There was a small group of Zebras that started to stampede when they were spooked by the jeeps that were trailing us and then suddenly I found myself in the midst of them as they crossed the road right in front of me! The hike down in the gorge was amazing as well. I'm glad I went to this park first in my trip - while there was much wildlife there, it was not the same scale as other parks.

1  Thank Matt W
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I moved to Nairobi in October 2013, and Hell's Gate was our first outing outside the city, and what an adventure it was! Hell's Gate is the park that served as an inspiration for The Lion King's scenery, so the little girl in me was thrilled, but it's just also absolutely majestic. We hired mountain bikes outside the gate, and biked among zebras, antilopes and warthogs. My husband and some friends also stopped to do a bit of rock climbing. The animals aren't the principal attraction, but the scenery is. For the people who, like me, forged their mental image of Africa on The Lion King, it is really the place to visit. I wouldn't however recommend biking both ways. We were pretty burned out on our way back from walking the gorge.

3  Thank mariedixon
See more reviews
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Leave early on Sunday and just do Hell’s gate then you can be back by mid-afternoon. We biked one way last time and it’s a lot better than biking both ways (I’ve done that as well and the return leg is painful with all the heat, dust and uphill ride on crappy bikes). I recommend leaving 7 AM from NBO to avoid people and cars when you get there. Cost is about $25 entry/person + Kshs 500 for bike hire/person + Kshs 1500 for guide + Kshs 1200 to take car in + Kshs 8000 for car hire – along those lines at least is what we paid last weekend. It’s worth it though but better to know the piecemeal costs up-front rather than be incrementally fleeced.

2  Thank Jenyi