“Good choice!”
Review of Pine Tree B & B

Pine Tree B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mzuzu
Pine Tree B & B
Ranked #3 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Mzuzu
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed in the Pine Tree lodge for 1 night. I made reservation by phone a couple of days before. When I arrived I could choose between 2 rooms: a room with double bed for MK 6000 (may 2013), using the shared bathroom. Or a room with double bed for MK 10.000, with own bathroom. Chose the first room. Very basic, but needed nothing more than there was in the room. The owners are very friendly, an English man and his Malawian wife. The location is a bit outside Mzuzu (took a taxi to town), so quite, I loved it. A beautiful view from the balcony/verandah of the lodge.
The food was really good. I stayed in Malawi for a month and it was my first really good meal, loved it! Lots of different plates and desserts as well. A nice, cosy place, it felt like a home.
I had to leave very early the next morning, even before they actually start, but they woke up early for me to check out. Got sandwiches to take as well, because couldn't get breakfast yet. Very good service!
And the first shower with warm / hot water in a month!
In the weekend there are coming some people to drink at the bar, so you hear some voices (no music).

I'm definitely going back next time I'll go back to Malawi.

Room Tip: They show you they available rooms so you can choose which one you want to use.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed just one night; rooms are very basic (could do with a bedside table light!) but very clean and they have ensuite toilet and shower; excellent food, very nice location, beautiful verandah surrounded by trees; Paul the owner is very friendly. Absolutely recommended if you stop in Mzuzu.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eleonora A
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very welcoming, lovely food with a wide range of choices and great service! There were all sorts of things on the menu icluding lasagne, burgers, duck a l'orange, chicken, steak and it was all delicious!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire K
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Enjoyed a good meal here in 2010 during a trip from the UK to visit my father who lives in Mzuzu and who is a regular visitor to the establishment.

Unfortunately, that afternoon, I had developed a 'jibby tummy', which had nothing to do with the Pine Tree food! It simply meant that I could not enjoy it to the fullest. However, my family certainly enjoyed theirs and we left with very pleasant memories, not only of the food, but of the overall hospitality, beautiful pine forest views and the owners' welcoming dog!

My brother made a similar trip and visit to the Pine Tree last month and was delighted with the experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank plutusa
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stopped off here for lunch on our way to livingstonia. Had heard good things from places in Nkhata bay. Definitely not disappointed. We ordered the cheese burger and the steak and mushroom pie that both came with chips and a coleslaw salad. The food was great. We really enjoyed the dishes. The pie was tasty and the meat was very well cooked. The burger was cooked very well too, the meat was juicy and well flavoured. We would stop again on our way back from our trip again. A hidden gem in mzuzu definitely worth a stop!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having been to most of the restaurants in Mzuzu, or those claiming restaurant status, I would consider Pine Tree to be the most consistently good quality and creative place in town to eat. The menu has a good selection of hearty home-cooked style meals - a very English menu of pies and the like- which is written up on a blackboard on the wall and adjusted on a fairly regular basis. A lot of the items do contain alcohol so they're not an option for Muslim diners although they sound delicious. It's pretty much the only place you can find an actual dessert menu too- fresh apple pies, and sticky toffee puddings with lots of nice custard. I've been there four times so far in the space of a month or so and can vouch for the pumpkin soup being excellent- savoury without being oversalty and creamy but not heavy. The chips are slim, nicely crisp fries which are not found anywhere else. The battered fish fillet was smaller than we hoped but well-made and delicious and a rarity. The liver casserole was also tasty and cooked just right with a good creamy mash potato side. The beefburger was not the best in town - but it was not bad. As with all Mzuzu restaurants the non-alcoholic drinks menu is very limited- in a country where so much fresh fruit is available cheaply we wish more places would serve juice.

There's also a bookshelf, some games -eg scrabble which we play while waiting for food, which can take a while- and dstv, which all helps to give it a comfortable atmosphere- while the outdoors picnicky wooden tables overlook lovely calm green scenery.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Have been to the Pine Tree several times to eat. It's a 10/15 minute drive out from 'downtown' Mzuzu on the road to Nkhata Bay. Run by a friendly Englishman and his Malawian wife. Food is consistantly good....fish from Lake Malawi and decent steaks. Butterfish in a light batter is delicious. There is not much choice for a good meal in and around Mzuzu. The Pine Tree is probably the best.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pine Tree B & B? Share your experiences!