See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in february this year. The rooms had big nice looking bed, we went down to the restaurant and the lifts were not working. They told us our room had very good view, but we had to wait for the morning to see the view. When we were eating, there were two big coackroches on the plates. when we went to our rooms, both our friend´s room and ours were flooded, our clothes were socked and when the repair man came, he was asking my husband what he thought the problem was and where he thought the water was coming from, since we had been travelling all day, we just needed to rest, we asked for another room, and they said we try and wait to see if the repair man can fix it, our little 3 old boy was so tied he could barely open his eyes, finally we demanded another room, and the one we were given had abig bucket under the sick, licking. there were no views as the lake is green, not their fault but they shouldnt tell people they will have good views from the rooms if there isnt any view.

Room Tip: Dont go there.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spaintracyp
Reviewed December 28, 2010

The Sunset Hotel is old, poorly managed and in urgent need of a major refurb. It has possibly the best location, overlooking Lake Victoria. Fantastic sunsets can be viewed from any room, but the hotel interior is drab, inferior and depressing. It could do so much more!!

During my 2 night stay over Christmas 2010 there was a power cut lasting several hours, driving rain, that flooded the bedroom and a water supply issue.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Franc0Sc0tt
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I've stayed in quite a few hotels in Kenya and this is one of the better ones. It's great that it is outside of town overlooking Lake Victoria. It's quiet and the staff is friendly, attentive, and available. It's nice that it's located near the Kibuto restaurant at Hippo Bay and the Impala Sanctuary. From reading past reviews, it sounds as if they've always had elevator problems. During my stay, the elevators never worked, making the 5-story building quite a challenge. The staff religiously asserted that they would be fixed "tomorrow". One person even went so far as to say by 3 PM, which I thought was rather innovative.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NKyAdventurer
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I was initially apprehensive about staying at this hotel based on other reviews posted but thankfully I can honestly say that our group of approximately 12, thoroughly enjoyed our stay there! It is no 5 star hotel, but our rooms were kept immaculately clean, the hotel staff (from highest to lowest levels) were extremely attentive, the food was good (though a bit of variety would have been appreciated), the grounds are beautiful and not to mention the exceptional view of Lake Victoria! I also took note of the several conferences for international organizations held there and groups that stayed, which indicated to me that Sunset is one of the best hotels in Kisumu. I would definitely recommned this hotel and if ever I pass through that side of the globe again - that would be my choice of abode!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Stayed here for a workshop in 2008. My room was broken into with a crowbar while I was at breakfast on a Sunday AM. I lost a brand new laptop, camera, cellphone and my Ipod. The guard at the hotel gate could see the room from his post. AVOID THIS HOTEL UNLESS SECURITY ISN"T IMPORTANT TO YOU.

Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business