“Not as good as I'd hoped”

Imperial Hotel Kisumu
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kisumu
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was staying one night, room had been booked by the organisation I was working for. Room turned out to be a suite, down a corridor which looked a bit like a prison corridor, then down some steps. I certainly didn't need a suite & this one was old & tired and comprised - the bedroom (no tv), a bathroom, separate toilet, fully equipped kitchen and lounge with tv (which I didn't watch). The bed did have a good mosquito net. I'd read here about the refurbished rooms so went down to ask if I could have one - I could but it would have been an extra KES 4,500 (from memory). So I stayed where I was - it was OK but glad I was only staying one night.

I decided to eat in the hotel. I had a drink in the bar, or rather the more open area just outside the bar which looked a bit like a prison cell. A very friendly girl approached me to ask if I wanted her to join me but I had to decline as I had a good book. Anyway, I looked at the menus & decided to eat in the restaurant - went up there (it was 7pm) only to find it didn't open until 7:30 so went back to the bar to eat. I wanted to eat local food so had the fish & ugali. The ugali, veg & sauce were ok but the fish was inedible - very dry, hardly any flesh, I think it had been overcooked. The waiter did seem concerned that I hadn't eaten it.

On the other hand - breakfast was excellent - really good choice of tasty dishes.

So based on my visit, I can only recommend the breakfast.

2  Thank Voigt

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you are on a business trip as it's centrally located. The airport shuttle is reliable and rooms are comfortable and quiet. They are busy renovating - so ask for a new room as the shower is great! There is free wi-fi which was very useful and the food is good. Breakfasts were very enjoyable. I saw magnificent sunsets from my room. The highlight of this hotel are the staff members - they really make an extra effort to ensure that your stay is memorable and they havea great sense of humour!

1  Thank dyan b
IMPERIALL H, Manager at Imperial Hotel Kisumu, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about our performance.

More importantly is taking time to visit us again. We are dedicated to ensuring that we exceed all our guests expectations.

I will pass the message to the team. Thanks for the applaud. We look forward to welcoming back to Imperial hotel again in soon.

Emmanuel

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed here twice and for a town away from Nairobi the standard is good. The rooms are spacious and clean. Good bed and bathroom facilities. The breakfast was very good and the staff very attentive and polite. The snack bar by the pool serves nice food as well. Centrally located.
I would definitely stay here again. The internet speed was a bit lacking. If you are spending any time in Kenya I suggest buying a Safaricom usb modem. Quite cheap and fast internet option

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. Maybe they are all finished now but best to ask
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin C
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Returned for a few nights and found the hotel most welcoming. Excellent new chef in main dining room with more complex steak entrees. Glad to see some of the same staff we have known for almost 10 years. Pauline thanks for taking good care of us.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice. This is one of the classic hotels in Kisumu. It is slowly being upgraded, and the refurbished parts of the hotel are great. So far they have kept the vintage restaurant and lobby area, which is good because they have a good ambiance. The food is generally quite good, especially if you opt for dishes made from local ingredients, such as Tilapia, greens and other vegetables. The one improvement they still need to make is the pool and bar area, which is looking a bit worn out.

1  Thank Ross V
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We visited imperial hotel poolside for lunch the food was amazing and the staff verr friendly then we were served by Barista Erick with great cappuccinos with amazing latte art that acoffee lover will love,we had awonderfull time and we recomend

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Meals were excellent as was the staff service.
Rooms were comfortable although probably due for some upgrading. It appears that some refurbisment is underway.
Hotel is located in centre of town but in a quiet area.
Good security at hotel with secure car park across the road for guests.

Room Tip: Try to get a recently refurbished room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family