“didn't stay there because they gave our room away”
Review of New Victoria Hotel

New Victoria Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kisumu
New Victoria Hotel
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Kisumu
Bonn, Germany
“didn't stay there because they gave our room away”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I called this hotel (they have no website so calling is almost the only option I can think of to book room) a few days ago before arrival to book a room, however on the day of arrival (around 7:30pm) we got to the hotel and was told that "someone else of the same name of mine has came earlier and took the room". I have a Chinese name and could not really believe in what they say. So we were forced to look for another accommodation in the mid of darkness. They did recommend another place which was not far from the corner but we were really unhappy and not sure what they had done with our booking.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank muwing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Derbyshire UK
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at the New Victoria in 2006 and we had a great time we read the rules and Reg's which sounded restrictive but when we told the reception we had Kenyan Family which we wanted to entertain in the hotel they treated us great and the staff also assured us they would watch our 9 year old son which gave him the run of the hotel "Dad" could drink coffee downstairs whist "Mum" watched her Kenyan TV upstairs, and oue son charmed the waiters into selling him a few soda's which bills I was happy to receive as he was being looked after by the splendid staff.
Some people may think that a more expensive hotel is better but from my experience in Kenya Honest staff make the Hotel a few Mossie's getting in through ripped nets are the least of your worries. As for a beer I frequented the "African Bar" next to the Mosque a set up with tables and chairs on the pavement the bloke who ran it would "escort" you back round the corner to the hotel if you wanted ( I never felt the need as i found it a safe area). Also if you like drinking your beers out side as i do the "Railway Institute" near the railway station is a great place some times frequented by Chickens a Cock and David the Cameleon.no charge for wild life!

• Liked — Good safe
  • Disliked — Slippery tiled bathroom floors
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank nyanchwakisii
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed January 20, 2008

My husband, in-laws and I were in Kisumu for a weekend trip to the village. We were only planning on staying in Kisumu for one night and had stayed at the Imperial Hotel the night before (loved it). Due to our late departure from the village we had to stay in Kisumu for another night. Unfortunately, the Imperial Hotel was booked due to the ODM rally. I remembered that the New Victoria Hotel was rated #2 on Trip Advisor so we decided to give it a try.

We were happy to find out that the hotel had availability but we had to arrive there by 6:30 p.m. or they could not guarantee the room. Upon arriving at the hotel we thought that we were in the wrong place. My husband and I both went in to check it out. What we found was a man sitting behind a little desk in the corner chatting it up with the locals. The hotel looked dirty and there wasn't a lobby - there were just stairs leading up to the rooms. The hotel reminded me of those classic hotel scenes in the horror flicks - when you know someone is going to die or something horrible is going to happen. Neither my husband nor I felt comfortable staying here - and he's a native Kenyan.

We only had about ten minutes left before the hotel room would be given up and we had to leave to go to the ATM machine to get the cash to pay for the room. During our trip to the ATM machine we asked our driver if he thought we could make it to the Sunset Hotel (so we could check and see if they had availability) and back in the 10 minutes we had left. Fortunately, he said yes. Thankfully, the Sunset had rooms available. I don't think I've ever been so relieved in my life. Needless to say, we ended up staying at the Sunset. While it didn't compare to the Imperial Hotel it definitely felt a lot safer than the New Victoria Hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank DaySamon

Travelers are raving about these Kisumu hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2006

having just visited the in-laws and persuaded the wife we should try Easy Coach on the way home as it was half the price of Akamba Royale and went more often we jumped off the Matatu from Ugunja earlier than we expected because i saw the name of the hotel and remembered it from here. My wife said just check in as she was tired-Oops I should've checked the room first as we discovered that
1) The hotel only has hot water between 6 & 9 in the morning and the evening - they dont tell you that at the reception

2) Room 201 has great big holes in the nets above the Double bed- take a good first aid kit or your own net and you wont have a problem.

3) We had to ask for the towels, soap and toilet roll they obviously supply.

The upsides of staying here are

1) The Bakery next door, though if you want a brand name soda (Coke, Fanta etc) you have to supply your own bottle, you cant take theirs with you - If you dont have one they wont sell a soda to you. the Cakes and Pies though are delicious

2) You are no more than 10 minutes from the Easy Coach Departure Point.

3) The price a double room for Ksh1,250

4) The views of the lake from room 201 were amazing

• Liked — The price and the view of the lake
  • Disliked — holey Nets and they weren't particularly bothered when we told them as we checked out
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't Stay Here. There are several other hotels nearby in the same price bracket try them instead
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AngloAfroHubi&Wife
Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2006

KISUMU, NEW VICTORIA HOTEL
I have stayed at the New Vic many times and it is excellent BUT they have now introduced TV's into the rooms and raised their prices. As one who needs to escape Tv's when travelling I now stay at the Sooper Guest House on Odinga Oginga Road. This is also excellent and much cheaper. 800 bob for a double.

• Liked — Good sized clean rooms
  • Disliked — boiled eggs
  • Tips/Secrets — get to know Fred
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled solo
5 Thank Kisumu
Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2006

What a place. You get a comfy bed, cooked breakfast, running water and the most friendly service going around ... all for a really cheap price. it is safe, secure and the cafe downstairs does a mean curry. not to mention the bakery which is also below the building. there is no point staying anywhere else in kisumu. This place has it all. Everywhere else is over priced and rubbish.

• Stayed June 2005