“Wonderful Vacation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kikambala
Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kikambala
kenya
“Wonderful Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We came as a group... five ladies! Had a wonderful time, the staff were courteous and willing to assist in all instances. We even (unknowingly though) got the Managing director to take our group photos. Spent most of the time in the pool playing volleyball and it was a wonderful experience.
We made our own meals, so we cannot say much about the resort's food. The kitchen facilities were adequate. .
The rooms are cleaned everyday and clean towels supplied. The beds served as well, as we
each had a bed to ourselves! I wonder though how couples sleep..., pull the two beds together?
The rooms and furniture place are a wee bit tired and need refurbishment. this is something the management should look into. The bedspreads are of a very dull colour making the rooms look dark!
The spa was not functional, though the gym was, with a few machines functioning.
The hotel grounds are fantastic, cool and refreshing. All in all despite the few negatives, Royal Reserve is a good place for relaxing and I will be coming back soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChausikuJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

In my view, the hotel needs to improve. i first stayed here in August 2004 and it was superb but going back in December 2012, it was a shadow of what it was. They really need to improve and change with time. In some rooms the AC was completely old and once it was switched on it would produce an irritating sound!!!!!
Management needs to UPGRADE this Resort!!!!

Room Tip: Look out for the newly installed AC in the rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Martha W
Crawley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

In fairness the majority of the staff here are fabulous. Although the receptionist couldnt have been more miserable if she'd tried. But the pool attendants, the bar staff, security, were everso friendly.
The hotel is in much need of modernisation and refurbishment if it is going to claim 4/5 star status and I think Club la Costa should be ashamed of themselves placing their clients in this low grade hotel and charging the fees they do.
The food in both restaurants was diabolical and when I refused to pay for one particular meal which actually made me gag, they insisted I had another because they wouldnt refund my account. I ended up with a bowl of rice because that was all I could actually face from their menu and that was offset against my previous bill. I think I can lay claim to the most expensive bowl of rice EVER. They charged me about £8 for that.
The pool filter was on it's last legs and on 3 days of our 7 night stay the pool was out of action. And I am convinced it was the pool water that left me with the debilitaing stomach bug I came home with.
Oh yeah, and I forgot to pick up my purse from internet cafe in their reception. Which in fairness they returned to pretty quickly, but it would seem, not before cloning my credit card. And the reason I am convinced this is where it happened is because the card which was cloned I didn't use once on this trip and this was the only time my purse was actually out of my possession when it wasnt locked away.

Room Tip: There is premium for beach front rooms. Dont bother. You will be constantly hounded by the beach b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sjlh

Travelers are raving about these Kikambala hotels

Mombasa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

First they do not receive persons nicely,very cold at reception,we were 14 they offer only 3 of us welcome drink,then they have this crazy check in at 4pm,if you are flying in from abroad or nairobi please do not arrive morning,you will be left all alone with bags by restaurant or pool until 4 or 6pm

Even after they tell you 4pm they finally give you room at 6pm

Outside one room was dirty stuff from other rooms,all day/all night the stuff were there even after i asked for removal

Only the food is great,restaurant good,rooms ok but employees/service 2%

Room Tip: try and not go to this place,i have traveled wide and far as travel agent and so far this is worst
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pmkamanga
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Royal Reserve at the start of September 2012. This was a delayed honeymoon for us and we couldn’t have picked a better place to stay at! Yes it is a bit far from Mombasa and the airport, but that’s part of its charm. It’s not the most modern place, but clean and safe. During our stay there the resort was very quiet. We were very surprised about this. Most days we had the pool to ourselves (and what a wonderful pool it is…). So if you are looking for a place to relax then Royal Reserve is definitely the place to stay!

The staff were fantastic! This was some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. One of the other guests told the kitchen staff that we were there on our honeymoon. One of the nights during the evening entertainment the kitchen staff came out singing and dancing with a cake for us where it said “Happy Marriage!”. It was such a nice gesture!

We booked the Tamarind Dhow cruise through Simon (the excursion co-ordinator) and have a sneaking suspicion that he might have told them that it was our honeymoon, as we received a cake during the cruise as well (and of course there was singing and dancing involved this time too).

I would highly recommend the Tamarind Dhow cruise – maybe a bit on the pricier side but the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great! The best part was probably when it all of a sudden started raining very hard and the staff had to put the covers up. Very entertaining! :) I would recommend that if going on the cruise you bring a rain coat or umbrella, just in case. :)
We didn’t book any other excursions through the resort as we had booked a safari through Julius Tact Safaris (www.julius-safaris.com) beforehand. I would highly recommend Julius! We were a bit worried before the safari as we weren’t 100% sure that we had booked with the “right” Julius. There are reviews on TripAdvisor for another safari company with a very similar name. The one we booked with though is excellent! Please see separate review under "Julius Safaris Day Trips" (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g317068-d318009-Reviews-Julius_Safaris_Day_Trips-Ukunda_Coast_Province.html) with more details about our safari.

I would also highly recommend having a massage at Royal Reserve. Very relaxing and also very affordable!

You should also go down to the beach and talk to the beach boys. If we’d had the time during our stay we would have booked excursions through them rather than the resort. The guys we talked to were very friendly. We did buy some souvenirs from one of the guys (I think he called himself 007). We had to pay a small deposit to him and he said we could pick up the souvenirs later that day. When handing over the money we weren’t sure that it was a good idea, but in the end it was all fine.

I would definitely go to Kenya again and stay at RR and also book a safari through Julius Tact Safaris. All I would say is when going to a country like Kenya please try to have an open mind and remember that it’s a different culture than the one you are probably used to. Hakuna matata definitely applies to pretty much every aspect of your stay, but by the end of your holiday you wish you could take this mentality back home with you in your suitcase. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scarlett_10_12
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the second time that we have visited this hotel as a family from the UK (boy of 6 and girl of 4). We wanted some winter sun and a place that the kids could spend the day in the pool practicing their swimming - we were not dissapointed. The hotel is not on a crowded drag of coastline and that is its charm, you literally have the beach to yourself and the hotel has a great pool for the kids (and adults have a bar that you can drink cold beer from while in the pool!). If you want a place that you can chill at with great weather then this is it. For those that want to do a few tourist things there are also options. The hotel offers their own more expensive activities but I would recommed using the "Beach Boys" (see attached picture) for a much cheaper and more real experience. They are a kind of cooperative group who work together (rather than against each other) for tourist business. There are other locals on the beach that would try to offer "deals" but as the security guard confirmed to us - stick with the "Beach Boys"! They do both beach / water excursions as well as "safari type" excursions. For parents, the other real benefit is that they have a children's club. We left our kids at the kids club for an hour or two on a few days and that gave us some "me" time to sit and read which is difficult with small kids.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RRandJR
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Yes the Royal Reserve is a bit far from town- but that has it's benefits- the peace and tranquility is almost unmatched- We loved it! The resort is a smaller type place, with really personal attention to each guest. Both of the pools were excellent and very clean. We booked only one snorkeling excursion through the local beach boys and it was great. We cooked for ourselves in the full kitchen within the unit- but you'll want to carry in most of your groceries- there is a small fairly priced mini-market in the compound, but their selection is limited. We never tried the RR restaurant- it seemed high priced for their offerings. The beach boys can also arrange great meals, cooked at the nearby Kilamanjaro Grill Joint- on the beach. They can also bring you fresh fish to cook yourself.
I recommend being a bit adventurous and riding the local transport to Mombasa and exploring the area around the spice market and Fort Jesus. The resort can arrange a day trip to these sights, but they will also charge you for them. The security guards are happy to call for a local motorcycle taxi that will get you back out to the main road where you can catch a matatu van.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach side have been remodeled and have great A/C- and an awesome view of the beaut...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank therabbitman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kikambala
Severin Sea Lodge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,907 reviews
Boko-Boko Bungalows
Boko-Boko Bungalows
#1 of 2 in Kikambala

Been to Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club? Share your experiences!