“Great holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun n' Sand Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kikambala
Sun n' Sand Beach
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kikambala
Howden, United Kingdom
“Great holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Had an amazing time here and in Kenya. Went all inclusive with Thompson, would definitely go back there again. Have never felt so safe in Africa, you really can go outside the Hotel into local bars and walk on the beach with no problems. It says its a 4* hotel, its probably 3* compared to what you would expect in Europe, but you have to remember that you are in a third world country and the people around you are desperate and have absolutely nothing. It more than adequate and you feel really lucky to be staying all inclusive when you see some of the poverty that exists in Mombassa. Staff at the hotel are fantastic. We had heard about taking stuff down to the beach for some of the locals and took cheap t-shirts etc out there, we tried to give them away but the guys wanted to give us thing off their stalls in exchange for them....if you can spare shampoo, shower gel thats left in your room or you don't want to take home the guys on the beach really appreciate it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EJC1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Please watch out for your personal belongings. My three night stay here starting 11th august 2012 became a nightmare because 2 laptops were stolen from our locked rooms while we were out to dinner. the safe was turned upside down by the intruder and these acts were not only a terrible personal loss of possessions, data and software but also distressing because there was no forced entry so the burglar had access to the master key. 2ndly - no latch on door so the children felt unsafe after the intrusion on our space - 3rdly- hotel hasnt made any positive moves on compensation as i post this! a waste of money and time, as i spent alot of my time in this hotel with the management and police.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Saadia K
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a weeks holiday only. I thought the hotel was nice, the pool great, the rooms nice enough and the staff wonderful. The food was very good, with the BBQ restaurant outside and also great vegetarian Indian food served daily. Pretty good for an all-inclusive (which are not usually my choice). One night we got the hotel to arrange us a driver and car and we went to a restaurant called Tamarind, which was lovely and gets you out of the compound for a while. The driver waited for us, and we had a fabulous meal by the water. We also met a local chap on the beach who we paid to show us around..I don't really like group excursions for tourists. He took us to the village which is along the beach to the left and into the forest. We took lots of sweets and i took some clothes to give away. I have never had so many children come from nowhere and surround me to try and get the sweets, they went in seconds. So i went back the next day with heaps more but the whole experience I found quite heartbreking as there were some poorly children too. We stayed with our local guy and he introduced us to his friends we drank palm wine, and that night we went to a few bars with them, and they looked after us, which was great and good to see some real Kenyan nightlife! The security guards also knew who they were and made sure they looked after us. We did a trip to Mombasa which was okay, but you are taken to particular shops where they get commission if you buy something, the shops weren't great. We went to a zoo/small safari park which was good fun too. I was a little frustrated that yet again I saw nobody tipping the waiters or bar staff at the resort. All inclusive doesn't include people waiting on you hand and foot, it makes a huge difference to their income. We gave generously as I believe in giving to the locals and it was gratefully received. Overall a wonderful experience and an eye opener.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChilliLondon
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

the place is very nice,best hospitality.A place u cant miss 2 be.,they have very good places 4 steam bathing,sauna and jaccuzzi,very neat and arranged rooms ,they have very welcoming staffs ready 2 serve u whole heartedly.

Room Tip: rooms on the seaside are more relaxing with cool breeze,fresh air.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a wonderful time. I had booked two apartments next to each other as there are five of us but one was a distance away. This was a bit of an issue but nothing could be done about it.

When we arrived our rooms weren't ready, we were told to walk around the resort and enjoy but being as it was december we weren't really dressed for this,it was scorching hot and we had jeans and winter clothes on.. After about 2 hours and a chat with a fantastic Rep the apartment issue was sorted though we had to wait for apartment two for a good while later.
The rooms were immaculate and so were the pools.

The food was excellent and the staff bent over backwards to ensure our stay went well.
One even went into the nearby village for me to get some paracetamol as the reception had run out.

Evening entertainment wasn't particularly good and the karaoke nights were especially tedious with child after child singing. One evening,my birthday actually, they had a BBQ with DJ on the beach. It was wonderful and one of only 2 days that I was feeling marginally well.
I wasn't well the entire week we stayed there but I tried to make the most of the week.

We did a days safari to Tsavo which was expensive but amazing. We had the jeep to ourselves which was especially nice as we had plenty of room to move in the sweltering heat.We saw lion cubs and lionesses sunbathing, lots of elephants,giraffes,antelope to name a few and our very informative driver stopped for a snake slithering across the road and a dung Beatle, which made me smile as I'm a real animal lover. Lunchtime we stopped off and had a game lunch and drinks,all included in the day trip. Then it was back to the safari. The whole day was simply out of this world though extremely tiring with scorching temperatures.

We also visited a wonderful restaurant called Tamarind in Mombasa and had a wonderful 3 course meal with lobster. They do lots of seafood but cater for most tastes. Beware though,it's not cheap.
We had a piano player in the background which added to the ambience.

We did many other things,ie water sports and visiting Wasini Island which is a must. They have a whole coral Garden that you walk through. You also get to visit a local school, walk through the village and meet the very friendly locals and have a wonderful seafood lunch but I believe they do other things if people don't like crab. We had the biggest crab claws I have ever seen and were given wooden hammers to smash through them. Then a wonderful fish(sorry can't remember the name of the fish) plus many other gorgeous things.

The day is a fantastic trip and it was humbling to see the local children with the biggest smiles and loveliest white teeth you ever see.

All in all it was a wonderful holiday. Be very careful of the sun,especially if on boating trips etc. I was badly burnt on my lips and thighs and tops of arms and never,ever have I been burnt like that before. I'm olive skinned and had worn sunscreen.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I don't really do all inclusive resort type holidays but I really wanted to go on a safari holiday. We got a good deal at a travel agents with this resort and booked our safari before we left.

On arrival I thought the resort was nice, it wasn't too big but a good size. The room was nice, big, clean and comfortable. The food wasn't the best but edible and not a big issue for me as we were there for a week and the main highlight was the 3 day safari in the middle of the holiday. The facilities in the hotel were good - the only thing I personally don't enjoy is the evening entertainment - the usual resort type thing - singing, collecting peoples flip flops, forcing people to get up and do silly things. Travelling with my partner we are not interested in that - anyway that I guess is a good aspect for some holiday makers so worth mentioning.

The best bit of this holiday to Kenya was the 3 day safari - I absolutely loved it. We were so lucky to see nearly everything - missed out on the Rhinos even at the Rhino park. Nevermind,we had two lionesses walk right beside out van so I was more than made up. Elephants were abundant - and baby ones too. We stayed in two different lodges each night and they were out of this world - we had big glass windows which looked out on to the plain and there was a watering hole with about 20-30 elephants around, some of the younger ones playfighting. It was an amazing moment. They had a pool overlooking the watering hole and a little outdoor bar (nothing wild though) the food was okay again. Nothing to exciting - but as long as I had energy to hang out the roof of the van watching wild animals run around I didn't care.

When we returned to the hotel we had a few days left so decided to walk outside the resort and immediately on your left and right is a little village. We spoke to a few of the women, gave them some of the shampoos and soaps from the hotel, I had brought some stickers, pens and pencils for the kids. The amazing thing is they did not beg, they played around us and when I pulled the items out of my bag one of the kids made the others all stand in a line and get a sticker. It was heart-warming. The mothers sitting outside there wooden huts smiled at us and some of them spoke to us (never begged). We spoke to one woman who had lost her husband and had two small children she was outside cooking dinner on a few wooden logs in a small pan (and I moan about the food at the buffet not being great - kind of puts it into perspective!!).

The next day we spoke to a rep and organised a trip to a local school, a small village and an orphanage. The school was amazing - the teachers were awesome, friendly and really loved their jobs even though it must be so difficult trying to get the kids there, let alone concentrate without a desk and minimum food. We went to a local market and bought enough beans for a term. They told us parents only send their kids if they are fed otherwise they would keep them at home to work. They asked us to teach them a song and sing it a few times so they had the tune - which was lovely. Even though the kids don't see many 'white people' most of them were just gaping at us.
The village was a nice experience our guide translated for us and we sat and chatted to an old woman who gave us some coconut wine - she let me keep the homemade straw they use to filter out the residue. Unfortunately we finished off at quite a dodgy orphanage - which was a shame as the rest of the day trip was lovely and genuine. At the orphanage it was as if they got the kids to perform for us, singing songs about how people like us bring money and hope etc. I had a bad vibe from the staff who then took us into a room to see what we were going to do for them - awful. We left a small donation - some soaps, alcohol gel, baby wipes etc and coloring in books and pencils and left. Although I never felt threatened I really think that the orphanage was not genuine.

All in all this resort was lovely, relaxing, staff were lovely but most importantly it was a great, cheap base for the safari and visiting the school and local village. The guide was informative and spoke brilliant English. Would definitely recommend and potentially visit again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Slipski
St. Neots, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We'd stayed up the coast in Diani Beach a couple of times so thought that we'd have a change this time. We travelled in Februay/March 2011. The hotel was fine with helpful staff; good rooms and reasonable food.

People have complained previously about the long queues for food but that's what happens when everyone wants to eat as soon as the restaurant opens. We always waited in the bar for an hour or so and by the the queues had disapeared, tables had been cleared and quite often more large joints of meat or fresh fish had been brought out of the kitchen. Result!

Much has been said about the need to tip and we did tip throughout our stay - both for the room staff and also for those in the bars. We did get good service bit obvbiously we can't say what would have happened if we hadn't tipped. One useful person to tip was one of the garden staff who reserved a bed for us every day - meaning that we didn't have to rush down after breakfast to get one of the beds which - surprisingly for such a large hotel - did seem to be in short supply. Also by tipping the bar staff we could get them to put a few wine glasses in the freezer - the wine was never very cold.

We did visit the local village and school which was very informative. The hotel did seem to be working hard at supporting the local community.

Towards the end of our stay (just a couple of days to go) we had to change rooms - supposedly because of problems with the water supply. However it was common knowledge that the hotel was closing shortly after our stay and we are fairly certain that they were just trying to close down the buildings one by one.

The rumour was that the hotel was being transformed into part Time Share apartments and part full pay hotel (rather than the All Inclusive that we experienced).

The location was good although there's really nothing outside the hotel other than the local village. The beach "sharks" - trying to earn a living - are persistent but if you get to know one then all of the others will leave you alone. We arranged a two night/three day safari with one and it was a lot cheaper than the equivalent supplied by the tour company. The accommodation (including Salt Lick) was first class and we had the tour to ourselves after the first night.

We hope that the hotel doesn't change although we fear that it will. It was a very good holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TheSnitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kikambala
Severin Sea Lodge
Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa
Neptune Beach Resort
Neptune Beach Resort
#3 of 14 in Bamburi

Been to Sun n' Sand Beach? Share your experiences!