“Perfect Weekend Getaway”
Review of The Green Ranch

The Green Ranch
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Kumasi
More attraction details
Owner description: The Green Ranch offers horse-back rides to all levels of riders by appointment. Rides start from one hour. The most adventurous riders can arrange to ride the 10-hour Big Loop around the whole Bosomtwe Lake!The Green Ranch also provides accommodations in two self-contained bedrooms unique for their outstanding view over the lake and mountains. Breakfast is included with the room. Lunch and dinner are also available.The Green Ranch caters to a vegetarian palette with fresh fruit and produce, both locally and home-grown, and a variety of delicious grains, as well as freshly homemade juices, ice cold beers and South African wine.Come and experience the delights of the Green Ranch, enjoy a cool after-ride drink on the veranda with its stunning view of the lake and peaceful animals while Elodie prepares an incomparable 3-course-meal.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I spent 2 nights with Elodie and the Green Ranch Family in July at the end of a 6 week trip in Ghana and I wish I had gone sooner and more than once! Elodie and her staff were incredibly welcoming, so much that I felt like family by the end of the weekend. I went on the 10 hour around-the-lake horseback ride, just myself and Elodie and it was incredible. Very long and definitely hard work but well worth the views and experience. If you like horses and want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Ghana this is absolutely the best place to come. Also her food is absolutely delicious and a welcomed change from the very meat and rice heavy Ghanaian diet. Highly recommended!

3  Thank Drivre
There are newer reviews for The Green Ranch

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had a fantastic time at the Green Ranch! From the enthusiastic greeting I received from Elodie when I arrived right the way through to the farewell hug, this was a trip definately worth making!

Set off from Kumasi on a Sunday afternoon, arriving it time to watch the sunset over beautiful Lake Bosomtwe! The view from the terrace outside the room and the communal terrace were spectacular! Dinner by the stars with no lights from elsewhere and just the moon's reflection was perfect, coupled with great vegetarian food, great wine (the nicest I had in Ghana) and even better company with Elodie joining us!

On the Monday Elodie and I embarked on the big loop around the lake. Setting off at 8:30 and returning at 7:30, this was an all day extravaganza! Galaxy, my trusty steed, was patient, trustworthy and delightful! Having never ridden before,under Elodie's careful instructions, I managed not to fall all day! Going through plantations, water and villages not accessed by cars really provided a view to Ghana not seen by many.

The day ended with a celebratory beer and another delightful meal.

A must do if you go to Kumasi!

4  Thank HugeGrant
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Do you agree it sounds romantic, to ride out the tropical heat of an African afternoon in the cool shade of a chocolate forest?

The Green Ranch property alone is worth the trip. Rising above the shore road is a steep, sparse farm; rough and rustic, with slender, tousled horses who appear free to roam between their stables overlooking the lake and the grazing on higher ground. The two bedrooms I saw were subtly Mediterranean, with big beds and pretty showers. And – check this – Élodie has sunk a well and filters the draw from an underground tributary, so you can drink the tap-water. Now that's what I call a unique experience in sub-Saharan Africa!

But you want to hear about the riding, don't you?

The terrain is hard and the path hewn rather than made. I was surprised at how often we had to dismount and guide our horses; through steep curves to the track, or over patches of timber or stone that had fallen across the way. This gave the horses some time off too – it was very hot.

This tropical shore is a living, working jungle, with plenty of villages, so you have to respond to the pastoral activities of the people who live there. One of my new fondest memories of Africa is emerging from the dense cocoa trees onto a field of smoking, charred earth, where the farmers had been slashing and burning. They warned us it wasn't safe to cross (the horses wouldn't have wanted to go through the hot ash anyway), but Élodie knew another way.

Riding out of the jungle into each village is a youth's frontier joy and people are as interested in you as you are in them. Horse riding is new here (Élodie introduced it) and everyone seems to be working out their views. Some people clearly think it's daft, others are frightened of the horses. But you can always count on children for the best reaction – in each village, teams of scrappy kids are delighted to see the riding party and come running over to chat and dare each other closer to the animals. Their English is about as good as my Twi, so the conversation is mostly “How are you?” “I am fine”, but that's grand enough. In fact, over the course of the day, I think I asked a statistically significant number of children around lake Bosomtwe how they were. You'll be pleased to know, they're all fine.

You just relax as a new rider. It's not easy, it's hard work and you might fall off (Élodie assures me this is rare), but you came looking for adventure, right? My horse, Gaia, was sometimes skittish and sometimes patient; as the day wore on I got used to riding, and she got used to me getting used to riding.

Actually, early in the day I did manage to fall – very exciting and clearly Gaia's fault because the silly sod got her legs mixed up as we walked down a steep orchard. The falling was slow and completely painless, but the landing was quite exciting because it was finally punctuated by a huge, bright green snake. This turned out to be two halves of a dead snake that the villagers had killed and thrown out, which was lucky; I'm told such snakes only bite when provoked, but being having me land on it out of the blue would likely put even the most serene serpent into a snappish mood.

You can probably tell that I loved that day. I've recommended it to other people – strangers, who email to tell me it was the best part of their trip to Ghana – so I won't say more. If you're still reading, then I've intrigued you; and if you go to Ghana and make it to Kumasi, then you could go further, and see for yourself.

Jake Love Soper

3  Thank Scoobysnax77
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Splendid view, really cute and comfortable rooms, wonderful food (breakfast, juices,meals...) and well educated and healthy horses, i had a great time thanks to Elodie profesionalism and kindness. I definitly recommend all horses lovers to spend time there from one night to one week, i am sure you will enjoy the peace of the place.
PS The lake tour is really really great experience.

2  Thank ju p
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was living in Ghana and missing horses, so a quick google led me to the green ranch and I am so glad it did. Lake Bosomtwe is stunning. A truly tranquil and magical place. Riding around the lake is a great way to take it all in, as you meander through the small villages dotted around the lake, across the streams and into the forests. My boyfriend had only be on a horse once before but it really doesn't matter. Elodie is a true professional, her horses are meticulously trained and it is impossible not to feel safe under her watchful eye.

Elodie welcomes you into her home, where you sit on the veranda with its fabulous views and are served fantastic vegan food. My boyfriend and I are true carnivorous but the food was flavorsome and interesting and defiantly didn't leave you feeling lacking.

I can't really recommend this place enough. One of the most enjoyable weekends I've had. You can't failed to be impressed.

2  Thank Lizzy W