“Very good for budget travellers”
Review of L-Shape Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gonder
L-Shape Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Gonder
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We paid 270B for a double room with a balcony looking over the back of the hotel towards the hills. Large, firm double bed. Lock on the cuboard. Generally clean. Weak but hot shower, though water stopped some time in the night and didn’t come back in the morning. Insist on checking hot water before accepting room, as it didn’t work in the first room we were shown.

WiFI generally worked well, and routers were on every floor. Small amount of toilet paper, soap, towel, and flip-flops provided. Third-floor room helped minimize the noise from the downstairs club/bar/restaurant. Restaurant had good pizzas (70-80B), much cheaper than those at MasterChef, though some odd combinations of ingredients. Would recommend this hotel for budget travellers.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were on an independant tour of Ethiopia and stayed in this hotel for 2 separate nights either side of a trip into the Simien mountains.

I had pre booked the hotel, and had been quoted 250Birr PRPN. When we arrived on the first night however we were told that the rooms would be $50 per room as it was Timkat. Fortunately I had e-mail proof that we had been offered the rooms at the lower price, so eventually after a long heated conversation we got then at 500Biirr per room. If it had not been for this incident I would maybee have given 5 stars.

The rooms were very spacious and very clean unless you started to move furnature around, and we had plenty of hot water. The balconies that we had looked out over the city and the royal enclosure could be seen from them.

One down side is that the hotel is on 5 or 6 floors and there is not a lift which could be a bit of an issue if you are not very good on your legs.

All in all this was very good accomodation at a bargin price which I would recomend if you have a couple of days in Gondar.

Room Tip: Not the first floor which is rather niosy and check for hot water and the price before commiting
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Centrally located. Rooms with balconies. Clean. Quiet(except the rooms on the 1st floor)
Free wifi.(not working well). The only problem is that there is no restaurant nearby except
the one in the same building, which is expensive and not so delicious.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank J Hoon K
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nice spacious clean rooms, decent service at the reception and wifi working more often than not. My advice: check if the boiler is working when choosing a room (I got a cold water one for the same price, was more clever when I came back there few days later). Also some rooms close to reception are a bit noisy. Haven't tried the restaurant but apparently they have decent pizza.

Room Tip: Check if the boiler is working when choosing a room (I got a cold water one for the same price, was...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Annasito
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The rooms are super clean, not a bug or mosquito in sight which can be a rarity. Rooms have satellite TV, wi-fi, hot water and balconies. The owner is also extremely friendly and helpful with arranging trips. The rooms are quiet and the location is great, just a short walk to the Royal Enclosure. It's still a budget hotel so the price is fantastic for all the amenities you get. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Gonder.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SueGoodge
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am an Ethiopian basically from Addis but have been to Gondar so many times. Every time i come to Gondar i always stay in Lodges and Quara hotel but the Lodges are not clean and Quara is expensive i mean it is off my budget. This time i went to Lshape Hotel and i had an amazing stay out there. They have got WIFI in every floor. I had my Laptop with me and the connection was very good. The room was clean, I enjoyed the entertaining TV programs that was broadcast ed through their HD TVs. The hot shower make me feel all refreshed. The sheets are changed each day. The other day power was gone and a standby generator was launched and i was able to check my e-mails and watch TV at the same time. The foods they serve is very nice. I loved the closeness to the center of the city. The manager, owner and receptionists in addition to all the staff members were welcoming and cooperative. The music at night is good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jackieethio
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The service is pathetic. The food and service is the worst. Electricity backup depends on the mood. Frequent water shortage in the morning. Bad maintainance and upkeep - no light bulb in the bathroom, leaky taps. Nobody understands anything in the kitchen- had to explain 3 times to get scrambled eggs which is in the menu.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gonder
AG Hotel Gondar
Lammergeyer Hotel
#11 of 14 in Gonder
Florida International Hotel
Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Been to L-Shape Hotel? Share your experiences!