Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews royal enclosure castle complex ethiopian history guide book walk around lots of history capital city music hall tuk tuk come alive ticket office worth a visit guide service goha hotel experienced guide historical sites local guide
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited this Castle Complex on our last day in Gonder as part of our guided tour, and hearing about the different Kings, and history let the imagination run wild!

1  Thank James H
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

interesting insight into ethiopia's history with reasonably well preserved castles from a line of emperor's. You have to pay for a local guide & I think some of them are better than others. they tend to have a script & struggle if they have to vary from it. definitely worth doing if you are in Gonder

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you will be there try to find Samuel, he is the vbest guide.
We met Samuel at the entrance of Gondar Castle and he was one of our best guides in Ethiopia. I definitely recomand him those who want to know all the details about a lot of thing in Ethiopia

1  Thank VladimirB799
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We walked 1.2 km south and downhill passing the main Mesket Square (statue of Emperor Fasilides) to the entry of this 17th C Royal Enclosure.
After paying 200 ETb each (includes the Royal Baths), then declining the guide service (preferring detailed Wikipedia), we were left alone to wander the walled enclosure of Royal Library, Royal Archives, Palace of Iyasu I, and Emperor Fasilides' Castle. We first viewed its deep concrete cistern before climbing the back steps which led directly to the Main Hall. With huge fig doors, hardwood floors and wood ceiling, it passed through the 2 other halls with towers and balconies, to descend the front steps.
Departing the 17 acre walled complex we noted the City Park, once the main marketplace "where imperial proclamations were made, troops presented, and criminals executed". Back at the city side of the walled enclosure we entered one of the 12 gates to see the cemetery and large church being reconstructed. Having perfect weather, this was a nice morning walk through the busy town center

Reviewed October 6, 2018

Located in down town Gondar, it's a must visit if in the region. The castle is full of history, and being an old capital of Ethiopia it is definitely worth getting a guide.

The castle itself is well preserved and offers brilliant views of the surrounding hills.

Reviewed September 23, 2018

Great visiting the castles of Gondar, Great Lunch at Four Sisters restaurant. Beletre Tery (beletetery@gmail.com) Gave a great tour of he city including the royal enclosure(Fasil Ghibbi in Amharic),the swimming pool.and the beautiful painted churches. We were able to do this in 1 day. From here we drove to Baha Dar, a beautiful 3 hour ride of the countryside, farms and historical living of the tribes that still exist today.

Reviewed September 6, 2018

This is a truly fascinating historical castle. I recommend reading up on some of the history of the Ethiopian civilization before going, to have an idea of how many significant dynasties and events called this castle home. As the historical capital of the Amhara civilization, Gonder is a humbling place to visit. You are in the company of nobility here.

Of course, my visit to the castle would not have been the same if I hadn't met the fantastic tour guide, Samuel Tadesse. He was working at the castle that day, but he also offers tours independently, all over the surrounding towns and sites. I can't imagine how I would have made it without him.

Not only was Samuel a great guide at the castle, but after we left, I invited him and our bajaj (tuktuk, moto-taxi) driver to get some food and some beers. While we had dinner at the beautiful Goha Hotel, they offered to show me around to some other sites the next day. I hired them the second day, and boy was it worth it. An incredible experience seeing the bigger picture of Gonder's history, with someone who really knows what he's doing.

Samuel is not just a tour guide and a professional, but he is a brother and a friend as well. After our second day touring, he offered to hang out with me as I headed south to the lakeside town of Bahar Dar. He didn't charge, either; we just hung out as friends.

I really don't know what I would have done without him. Everything from negotiating the bus trip (the station is utter chaos, I can't imagine trying to navigate it on my own), showing me around Bahar Dar, figuring out plans... Sammy gets it done. A one-of-a-kind guy. After spending a few days together, I gave him a big tip when we said goodbye. I wish I had more money to pay him what his services are really worth: you won't find someone like this every day. Professional guide, negotiator of services, translator, and friend.

Here is my "wendeme" Samuel's info, if you'd like to contact him before your trip to Ethiopia. I highly recommend it.

samueltadesse53@gmail.com
+251918065388

Reviewed September 6, 2018

My mother and I visited Ethiopia for the first time in August 2018. While Addis Ababa was our main destination we still wanted to see a little bit more and thus contacted a local tour company to help us organise a short trip to Northern Ethiopia. One of our destinations was the city Gondar where we met our friendly and competent local tour guide Bekele. Having finished our lunch at the lovely Three Sisters Restaurant we started our tour through the fascinating 17th century royal castles of the former capital. Bekele was a very well-informed, considerate and professional guide who is from Gonder himself and therefore very much the ideal person to introduce you to the city. We ended our tour with a visit to the beautifully decorated Debre Birhan Selassie church as well as the charming Fasiladas bathhouse.

Thanks to Bekele’s friendly and informative guidance we could not have been more happy with our trip. I can highly recommend booking a tour with Bekele to show you around in the city of Gonder.

To contact Bekele for tours in Gonder (as well as to Simien Mountains and Danakil Depression):

Bekele Atakilte
Tour guide
Gondar, Ethiopia
+251918199690
Email <atakiltebekele@gmail.com>

Reviewed September 4, 2018

Our 3rd day in Ethiopia found us in Gonder, and after an amazing lunch at The Four Sisters, our driver took us to Fasil Ghebbi to tour the Camelot of Africa. We lucked out and were given an amazing guide by the name of Bekele, who not only knew the ins and outs of the Castel history but of Ethiopia as a whole, his tour of the castle, the bath, and the churches was in-depth, clear, and very accommodating to our need to stop and take photos, and sometimes just to meditate in the space. I would highly recommend him for any personal one on one tours of the city or the close by Semien Mountains. He can be contacted at Bekele Atakilte <atakiltebekele@gmail.com>. He will make your time in Gonder that much better.

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

Fasil Ghebbi is an incredible location with numerous ancient structure. Once inside it's easy to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city around. Having lived in Gonder, I've visited the castle 11 times, and it honestly gets better each time.

Guides help explain the historical background and significance of each site, and I became close friends with Samuel. He is professional and engaging, genuinely excited to share the history of his country and city. Previously Sami has been a shepherd (geteregna in local dialect) so he shares unique viewpoints and explanations.

Highly recommend visiting, and if you need a great guide contact Samuel.

samueltadesse53@gmail.com