Brave Africa
Review Highlights
One of the highlights of my life....

I was fortunate enough to travel as a solo traveler with Brave Africa in March 2020, when the bush... read more

Reviewed May 2, 2020
herbeingness
Unforgettable experience with an outstanding mobile safari company

Botswana was a truly beautiful country with incredible wildlife. I highly recommend Brave Africa... read more

Reviewed January 15, 2020
jandy8705
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 4, 2019

I don’t even know where to start in describing our African adventure with Brave Africa. It’s been a month and I still can’t contain my awe and excitement. On our first day, we were 10 yards from a pride of 11 lionesses sunning themselves. 10 yards!!! The next day, we tracked one of two lion brothers and spent 45 minutes sitting in front of him. The pictures are unbelievable. Our 2nd camp site was by a river that had a resident male hippo and was a watering hole for dozens of elephants. It was a wonderful way to eat breakfast everyday – the baby elephants are so cute. We experienced a leopard AND cheetah, dazzles of zebras, water buffalos, wildebeests, towers of giraffes, crocodiles, tons of gorgeous birds, hyenas, warthogs, and did you know there are 23 types of antelope? How do I know there are 23 types of antelope – because of our fabulous guide Wina. He MADE the entire adventure. He was a walking Wikipedia with 3 years of schooling and 10 years of experience. I just can’t say enough about Wina. Besides his vast knowledge and charming personality, he always made our safety his top priority.

Now to the Brave Africa mobile camp. Can I just say, I’m NOT a camper and have never once considered a camping vacation. Well, this is not camping and it’s even a step or two above glamping. The tents are huge with 3 separate sections and a covered porch-all divided by zippers. The front section holds 2 twin beds that can be converted into a king (with comforter, decorative pillows and throw, who does that on a safari??!!!), 2 nightstands, and a canvas floor and rugs. The next section holds the toilet! Yes, I said toilet. It’s a regular full-size toilet, a stand with for the wash basin, pitcher, hand soap, lotion, etc. and a closet. The back section is the outdoor shower (fully enclosed for privacy), with shampoo, conditioner and soap included (again, who experiences this while on safari in the middle of Africa??!!) Every morning we had a continental breakfast by the campfire (with the elephants and hippo), morning snack on the game drive, lunch (on a portable table, with chairs,tablecloth, silverware AND the animals), sunset snack and a 3-course dinner back at camp. Every night we sat by the fire listening to the visiting wildlife (hyenas, mating lions, hippos, baboons). The food was amazing, and the staff was outstanding. We even had DAILY laundry service. The Brave Africa staff was just lovely, so welcoming and accommodating.

One final experience to share. We found a pack of wild dogs and followed them to an antelope kill. It was quite the experience. Wina had only seen 3 other kills in his 10 years of being a guide.

Ok, one more moment to share. It was my birthday on the trip and the staff brought out a cake and sang the native birthday song. It was a very special gift for me.

This doesn’t even begin to cover all the special moments we had or the close encounters with the animals. We’ll never forget this trip and can’t thank Brave Africa enough for the unbelievable experience. I would recommend them to anyone, any age, any adventure level. In my humble opinion - BRAVE AFRICA IS #1.

Arizona, USA

4  Thank Sheree F
Braveafrica, Owner at Brave Africa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2019

Wow! Sounds like you got to enjoy some incredible animal sightings on your first safari with Brave Africa. Lions, leopard, and cheetah, you had it all! That's what we love to hear. Plus a wild dog kill is truly something special to witness, and we're so glad it happened for you.

Thank you for your kind review. We're glad we were able to help you get over your fear of camping and enjoy something truly unique. We like to say that we're more of a mobile lodge than a camp, and we're glad you agree. Our goal is always to ensure our guests' comfort with outstanding service, so it's wonderful that you felt that way about Brave Africa.

We can't wait to see you back in Botswana. We're thrilled to be your #1 choice!

Reviewed November 4, 2019 via mobile

We went on a safari by Brave Africa in September, 2019. From the moment, we were picked up at the Khwai River Airstrip by Mr. Tabona Wina, we knew that we would be in for an extraordinary vacation.

Mr. Tabona Wina is a skillful guide, with a deep knowledge of the flora and fauna of Botswana. He was able to locate and track many wonderful animals - elephants, lions, cheetah, hyenas and wild dogs, to name a few. We felt safe while on safari drive with him.

The camp staff of Brave Africa played in important part in our wonderful experience. The meals prepared by Rachel, the camp cook, are delicious and nutritious. The drinks mixed and served by the camp manager / bartender were good.

Returning to camp after a full day out to a clean comfortable bed and cleaned and folded laundry was a treat in itself, by the camp housekeeper. All members of the staff of Brave Africa took good care of us. They treated us very well. I felt very well taken care of.

All guest tents were large. It accommodated a king size bed, night stands and a storage for our clothes. The toilets were fully flushable. Each tent even had a shower area. The entire setup, with the addition of the great service from the staff, felt like a mobile lodging.

After a few nights in one location, the camp was moved by the staff of Brave Africa to a different location.  This move was entirely done while we were out on safari drive, visiting the animals.  All we had to do was to put our belongings back into our suitcases before we began our safari drive.  When we arrived at this new camp location in the evening, our tent was set up and ready for use. This mobility of the camp made possible for us to experience a few different locals and environments.

A safari with Brave Africa is indeed an extraordinary vacation.

4  Thank PaultVo

Thank you for your kind review of Brave Africa. We're thrilled to know that you had an extraordinary vacation with us. And yes, we agree that so much of that has to do with Wina! He is the beating heart of Brave Africa, and it makes us so happy to know that he made your trip for you. He's definitely an expert on the fauna and wildlife.

As for camp, we're so glad that you felt very well taken care of. That's always our ultimate goal and it makes us happy to know that you enjoy our service and amenities. We definitely try to be more like a mobile lodge than a camp, so we're glad you felt the same way.

We hope you'll come out and stay with us again. We'd love to have you!

Reviewed November 4, 2019

The Brave Africa safari experience began immediately after landing in the bush. Wina, our excellent guide who drove us around throughout the trip and was our bush expert, picked us up directly from our plane. Then, on our drive from the bush landing zone to camp, we saw 3 of the big 5! Elephants, lions, buffalo, and a whole lot more. It was crazy. Just 4 hours until sundown and we had experienced a lifetime of wildlife in our first drive! Botswana is very alive!

Also, this is not camping that I was use to. It’s a king bed with sealed floors, flushing toilets, and bucket showers! There were blankets, sheets, chairs to sit in—it’s huge! They also do laundry! So, you can enjoy your stay, be in the bush and have clean clothes! That’s crazy!

If I had to describe it, Brave Africa is glamorous camping if there is such a thing! Very doable.

Our game drives out were from sunrise to sunset. This is an adventure with an expert guide who knows what he’s doing and is with you every step of the way! Brave Africa is for people who want to maximize their experience with every type and kind of wildlife you can possibly see. We loved the all-day game drives because it gave us the greatest chance of seeing something amazing.

By the way, Brave Africa uses a premier vehicle for seeing animals. It’s open, stadium seating so every person has a good view. It’s also a maximum of 6 riders and the guide per car, which means there was no middle seat.

The phrase I used was, “We have seen astonishing things this day!” Every day was one more astonishing thing on our list. Cheetah, Leopard, Lion’s galore, Elephants, Antelope (10+ types), Zebra, Honey badgers, Hippo, Mongoose, Birds, Vultures, Painted Dogs in a kill, Nile Crocodiles, and the list goes on. I still haven’t processed my pictures there are so many.

When arriving back into Brave Africa’s camp, the camp personnel are singing! Yep, you come back to your tent and are greeted with the sweetest harmony of voices, rhythm and enthusiasm you can ever experience. You’re tired, dusty, been on a 10+ hour drive, and you come “home” to singing, hot towels to wipe your face, cold drinks, help you with your bags, help you get comfortable for a specially prepared homecooked meal! They even have an oven! So, we had fresh baked bread, tender chicken or beef, you name it. Very amazing meals. Napkins, plates, glasses, silverware, it’s done well!

Also, if you don’t have a “Wina” (our guide), you don’t have ½ the experience. Wina has 10+ years experience in Botswana, he taught most of the guides. He knows every animal, behavior, tracking paw prints, birds, even knows about animal poop! Very important if you want to catch your animal. It’s like we’re hunting in a Landcruiser, everyone on watch, hoping to spy the next amazing sighting!

Wina told us a phrase, “This is Africa!” It meant, at any moment, at any turn, something could happen, something could change and you are awestruck watching in amazement an animal, an event, a dazzle of Zebra and quite frankly you are rendered speechless. Humbled by God’s creation and harmony of animals living and existing together in the bush.

You feel like you shouldn’t be here. You’re out of your element. Yet, you’re thrilled to be a part of it, to see and share in this experience in the “animals’ backyard”. You feel like you are in their zoo, and what a privilege to participate and to try and capture with your camera the moments presented to you. When an elephant (one of three encounters) walks up to you within 3 feet, you can’t help but feel a little scared, giddy, excited, overwhelmed, can’t breathe, want to touch, can’t move kind of moment! It’s that exciting!

Some advice if you’re thinking of going on safari with Brave Africa:

1.) Remember, you are still in the bush, and you are camping! One shrill note from a Hyenas’ or Lions’ call, or in our case we had a Hippo outside making a most amazing low grunting sound, and you know it’s not Kansas. Once inside your tent, you stay inside your tent. You are safe. But you are in Africa, and walking around at night by yourself is not in your best interest! You must respect and honor the wildlife at all times!

2.) Trick when riding in the Landcruiser, sit up a bit. Take your back off the seat back and you can ride the bumps, twists and turns much better.

3.) Before going on safari with Brave Africa, we first went into Cape Town to rest up after our long flights. I would highly recommend this so you can fully enjoy the safari experience. Plus, getting to Botswana and camp is an event in itself—Joburg to Maun, then from Maun to your bush flight. Pack light. We had great information from Brave Africa on what to bring, how to pack and prepare ourselves.

4.) After Botswana, we headed to Victoria Falls to see one of the Seven Wonders of the World. After seeing the animals in the Safari, to be frank, we saw more wonder and awe than any waterfall could ever show you. Don’t’ get me wrong, Victoria Falls is amazing, but not after what we experienced in Botswana. It did allow for a little rest, hot showers, and relaxation before heading back for 2 days travel. Well worth the stop over since you’re right there!

5.) A good camera is a must! I love photography. In Arizona, it’s birds of prey. In Africa, I wanted the best I could get. I needed a sealed camera, capable of great telephotos. After much research on Amazon, we got the Sony RX10iv. Awesome camera, great for Africa! 3,500+ pictures later, thrilled with the results. Highly recommend.

Let me be honest, my opinion of Africa and pre-determined thoughts and ideas were totally wrong! I only had National Geographic TV shows and Planet Earth videos as my references. My conceived ideas were every animal was running for their lives from either being eaten, attacked, or dying of thirst! It was not on my bucket list, too far away, too hostile, I don’t like camping, I don’t want to be sitting in a line with other people gawking at animals ½ mile away, and I can see animals on TV.

However, I am thrilled to have experienced a small part of Africa. Brave Africa blew all my expectations out of the water.

What are some of the most amazing things I experienced?
• Quiet! I don’t remember ever experiencing total quiet. Nothing. Earth shattering to me. Such stillness. All I heard were my ears ringing. That I will miss!
• Animals so close you can hear them breathing. Nothing quite like it.
• The harmony of nature living together. Herds, pods, dazzles, confusions, you name it, we saw it. Mostly all animals getting along, doing life together.
• No WiFi or Cell Phone at all! Yes, totally unplugged. Good for your soul!
• Time to reflect on what’s important. To rest, rejuvenate, see creation as you’ve never experienced it before, great company with the camp personnel, to come away refreshed! Tired, but refreshed and old paradigms removed and new ones welcomed.
• Memories that will last my lifetime. Experiences no one can take away, or understand unless they experience it themselves! Very unique and satisfying.

3  Thank Rick F

Now that sounds like a trip! We're so glad that you had such a great time with Brave Africa and that you made memories that will last a lifetime. That's exactly what we try to do on every safari, and it thrills us to know that you enjoyed yourself so much.

And glamping is definitely a thing! We like to call ourselves a lodge-like mobile camp because although you'll sleep under canvas, everything else is very luxurious. It sounds like Wina and the team took care of you very well.

Finally, we love your recommendations for future safari-goers. We definitely agree that a visit to Cape Town and Victoria Falls is a great decision. And remembering how wild the Botswana Bush is always a must.

We hope you'll come out and visit us again soon. We'd love to have you at Brave Africa any time!