“Excellent Mokoro Tour with Tour Guide Galaxy”
Review of Okavango Delta

Okavango Delta
Book In Advance
More Info
$7,564.00*
and up
9 Day Safari Tour: Okavango Delta, Savuti and...
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Maun
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful time on a two-day one-night mokoro camping trip! Our tour guide, Galaxy, was the best! He took us out on a couple of walks across the Delta and really took care of us. He made us feel very welcome and we felt that we could ask him anything. He taught us Setswana and was very invested in his job. His crew was very good as well (Jerry, Mogedi, Shakwa, and Kutsi)! Galaxy also could speak English very well (which he learned by talking to tourists) and he was very knowledgeable about the wildlife of the Okavango Delta. Be sure to request Galaxy when booking a mokoro excursion! It was awesome.

4  Thank Sarah H
"dugout canoe"
in 10 reviews
"amazing experience"

Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was so absolutely amazing. This trip truly changed my life. We have been all over the world but the people and beauty of Botswana are unlike anywhere we have been on Earth. This place is otherworldly. The peace and beauty of the Okavango Delta is something everyone should experience. We saw most from horseback but my husband who is not a rider, rode around in a land rover with a guide. Super special and memorable...

1  Thank IUMANGO212
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had the most amazing experiences at Little Mombo and Savuti camps. At one camp we saw the so-called "Big Five" in just one morning. We were here a few years before and the difference between then and now is stunning. Since water innundated the area there are so many more animals and they are very relaxed.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I try to take a vacation with my children once a year. It was my daughter's turn to chose our location, and she picked an African safari. I had never been on a safari, or even been to Africa, and didn't know where to start, so I contacted Jacada Travel (got their name from the TripAdvisor site), explained to their travel associate Byron Thomas what we were thinking about, and he lined me up with the most amazing trip ever! It was a mobile safari, booked with Undiscovered Africa, who are centered in Botzwana. We flew in from the Maun airport on a small plane, were picked up by our guide, Kaelo, and he drove us to our camp site. On the way, we saw the most amazing variety of wildlife! He drove our truck right into the middle of a pack of hyenas eating a carcass, near a small pond that must have had twenty different types of birds, and a larger pool with around 20 hippos just to mention the highlights. The camp was run by Kirsty and her crew and seriously, words don't do it justice! We had amazing meals cooked over a campfire in special ovens, ate on tables with white linen tableclothes, sat by the campfire at night, and had the most amazing sleep ever, with sounds of birds, frogs, and occasional animals in the distant night. The lighting was strictly by kerosene lanterns, no electricity. And we had warm showers and flush toilets! Every day was a true adventure. We would wake up before the sun came up, have breakfast made fresh just for us (cornbread muffins cooked over a fire are amazing!), drove around all day observing the wildlife, stopping for a field lunch along the way, and stayed out until the sun went down. People had never lived in the area we visited, so the animals didn't regard us as food, according to Kaelo! They were wary but not aggressive at all. I would recommend this trip to anyone, and hope I can make it back some day.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Dry river beds are transformed during the annual floods in Maun, resulting in a spectacular mass movement of wildlife into the area. Elephants, Buffalo, and Impala migrate here to wallow in the waters, and flights over the delta; or boat trips on the delta; reveal once in a lifetime scenes of splendour and beauty. My stay at Island Safari Lodge was right on the river, and boats depart from their private jetty daily. The Okavango truly is a wonder of nature which occurs but once a year at the end of May.