“Mt Yasur Volcano”

and up
3 Night Adventure Package on Tanna Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This relatively short volcano (360 meters above sea level) is regularly active.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I just got back from Vanuatu, and must say the high-light of the trip was my visit to Mt Yasur on Tanna Island, Vanuatu in may 2014. We did the day trip from Port Villa with Unity airlines & while checkin was slow ( but we all know abt island time !!! ) The rest of the day went too fast. the wonderful Dominique flew our plane, she was fantastic as a pilot always fine tuning the ride. Got pick dup from white grass airport by Sammy & taken to Tanna Evergreen rest & tours Tanna base. When we got up close to the Volcano & were driving along the ash plain it was out of this world.FANTASTIC !!! But that was nothing to being on top looking down into it & feeling the earthy move. It was an overcast day for us which worked in our favour as we were there at midday & could see the molten lava get thrown into the air. My friend who came with me said it was the best thing in his life except his wife. Don't go expecting 5 star comfort & service you get that from the view into the mountain.

2  Thank willeywipeout
in 14 reviews
"viewing point"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is the main reason to come to Tanna, and you have to go see this volcano. We went by 4wd up to the rim, and then walked up for 10-15 minutes.

You can easily see the lava exploding, and it's best to stay till the sun sets for better view.

If you are a photographer, it's worth taking a tripod :)

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Actually seeing an active volcano spewing out lava showers at dusk and hearing the roar of the explosions is a once in a lifetime experience for me. If you get the opportunity do it!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

A fascinating two hour drive, rough roads, tiny villages, smiling people, and you arrive at the ash fields. A vast expanse of volcanic ash and rock, an amazing lunar landscape! A bit more driving around the base of the volcano then a short walk to the top. We arrived just before sunset and it was a truly breathtaking experience. The volcano was fairly active and performed well for us. The visuals were stunning and I couldn't get over the noise! Constant booming, like rolls of loud thunder then a sudden shower of flaming sparks and smoke. This is a must do!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 3, 2014

If you are heading off to Vanuatu I would strongly suggest getting to Tanna island and seeing this live erupting volcano! It is not often that you can say you have stood on the edge of a volcano.

It is a pretty long and bumpy drive in 4wd about 2 and a half hours to get to the foot of the mountain and then it is basically about a 100m walk to the top. I was worried about whether I would be able to walk up there as I am pretty unfit- although the first part of the walk is fairly steep it is more then doable and a very manageable task. I am of a low fitness and didn't find it overly hard. The weird thing is when you get to the top of the volcano it is quite windy and cold. I thought it would be really hot! But it is actually pretty cool so worth bringing a jumper and/or jacket.

You stand on the rim of the crater but there is another rim below you and the actual volcano itself is somewhat far away (further then I imagined). When you first get up there it might seem a little disappointing especially if the volcano has low activity- but trust me when the sun goes down it is awesome! (so awesome we went twice!).

There are 4 levels of activity with the volcano. 1 and 2 are relatively low activity, 3 is slightly higher and 4 is evacuation time! The volcano sits mostly between 1 and 2. We were up there when it was in low activity, this meant that it was not an overly "scary" experience. However, we did have a couple of really big bursts with lava rocks leaping high in the air- if you are up there when it is a bit higher you do have to watch out for the rocks- but generally speaking this is not a real issue and as long as you listen to your guides you are ok.

There is also a volcano post box that is at the bottom of the climb to the volcano- They don't sell postcards or anything like that at the volcano so if you are wanting to post a card best to remember to purchase one in town prior to going on your trip- we posted some and this was very cool! Also in terms of facilities there is a basic shop you can stop at, at the bottom of the volcano but essentially not much up there. There is a toilet located at the bottom of the climb to the volcano but lets just say its really not much more then a hole in the ground in a shed- I am a bit of a princess and would never have dared use it ever! But my husband is use to terrible toilets with camping and all that and he stated that he didn't even want to use it! I unfortunately don't have a photo but I have seen one of the other reviewers has put one up- so you have been warned: No bad curries or to much kava prior to going on volcano tour!

In terms of photographing the volcano and lava this can be a tricky thing- if you are just coming with a point and shoot or trying to use flash you won't really stand a chance. For best clear photos you will absolutely need a tripod or gorilla pod to start with. You will need a DSLR or camera capable of shooting in manual and/or bulb mode and preferably a cable release or camera with timer. Obviously your settings will depend on what you want to do creatively but for the majority wanting to do those long streaks of lava shots you are probably looking at aperture 11, ISO 100 and then setting the cable off when you here the big booms! (anywhere up to 10 seconds!). ***sorry to the non photographers, I just know that some people are really keen on shooting the volcano and it can be pretty difficult!.

I can't wait to go back again next trip! The best thing we did in Vanuatu!

4  Thank LeeLee_smiles