“Okay...”

Coral Quays Fish & Dive Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Espiritu Santo
Reviewed August 2, 2013

To start with they lost/ didn't have our booking and when we finally made it to the hotel we were about the only people there in the whole place. Santo I found was a lot harder to get around. This place is far out of town and there aren't many buses, have to take a taxi anywhere which can get expensive. The rooms I found were kinda smelly, damp, like nothing ever dried out properly, but the room itself was fine. Pool was fine.

We did one of the day trips they had on offer up to Champagne Beach and Blue Hole - 1.5 hours late they picked us up!! There was a cruise ship for the 2 days we were in town which meant Champagne Beach was absolutely packed out, so our tour guide took us up to Port Olry - BEAUTIFUL! Beach was gorgeous, not many people around except our group and a few others plus the locals. Don't know why more people don't check it out. Blue hole trip was absolutely amazing, couldn't get over how blue the water was!

Overall I wouldn't stay with this resort again, too far out of town and not much else to do around there. No good snorkeling close by.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelinghunt

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This relatively new dive operator has moved to Santo for lifestyle rather than profit. All the dive gear is new and they have large 100 c.ft tanks so you get longer dive times. Sometimes I was the only diver but the owner was still prepared to take me out in the boat and have me one-on-one guided while he kept station above us! Another main point of differentiation is being able to offer 3 dives a day (most others only offer 2 as standard). This is a morning coolidge dive from shore, followed by a double reef dive from boat after lunch. Even with a max depth/time dive on the coolidge to 40m, it was way within no-stop (non deco) dive limits to do 2 reef dives in the afternoon to about 15-20 m each which is where all the reef action is anyway. This operator will also go out west to reefs sheltered by the outlying islands where big gardens of plate corals (like nesuse reef) make attractive dives. They will do pick-up from town and let you use the resort facilities over lunch whilst passing the time between your morning dive and the double-reefer. Thanks Phil, Woodie and Michael for your fantastic service and professional operation with all new equipment!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was disappointed on arriving as was not expecting the rusticness of it. But, after the first night I realised this is a nice place to stay. The food is great, the room was made up and cleaned every morning in the half hour that we were away for breakfast and the view from the restaurant is lovely. The staff were very helpful with organizing trips and the service in general was great.

The resort is in desperate need off a lick of paint and updating of bathrooms etc, but overall it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charsnz
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We picked Coral Quays for our diving because they offer much more than just diving the Coolidge and could not have made a better choice.

Having dived the Red Sea, the Barrier Reef and some other great places before, I was stunned when I saw 30 meters + viz and the unspoilt nature of the coral on the Santo reefs. The reefs here give true meaning to the term unspoilt. The best bit is that Coral Quays is the only dive operator diving these reefs. If you prefer crowds on reefs you will be disappointed.

Michael and Vuti (pronounced Footy), who both grew up in Santo, are professional and know their stuff. Diving the Coolidge highlighted this. Dive briefings are done the proper way, equipment (Scubapro) is well maintained and the DM straps a full size bail out tank onto himself for each Coolidge dive in addition to the spare air available at the deco stop. Night dives on the Coolidge is again done the proper way. It is clear that these guys take the safety of their guests very seriously. As a matter of principle I always take my own gear when travelling as a result of having seen some scary stuff over the years. However, when it comes to Coral Quays, I have no reservations about using their rental gear.

What is especially great is that they are very flexible in terms of their offering. For example, one can do a dive/fish combo. Having never caught a fish in my life, I ended up doing two dive/fish combos and managed to catch a big Rainbow Runner, Mahi Mahi (Dorado) and two Yellow Fin Tuna. Old school fun.

I cannot comment on the rooms as we did not stay at Coral Quays.

Already planning my next Santo dive trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The resort seems to be very tired. Our room which was a superior bungalow was fairly run down- the aircon didnt wrk, the sheets didnt smell clean and the bathroom was very old. Not worth the price paid. it was also quite noisy due to there being a main road between the resort and the beach ( not a nice swimming beach).

The food however was great and so was the manager. We didn't dive and this obviously was the resorts speciality.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lucy R
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Loved the level of service and guiding we received from Michael and Voodie.

They knew all the dive areas in and out. Even though he's an Aussie, Michael was born and raised in Vanuatu, speaks the language and knows the history of the place. And Voodie's a local.

He would give a really cool 5 minute summation of what happened or where we were, then we'd go dive it. And as a fellow divemaster, He was really good at his job. The perfect combo of safe and hands off.

They run boat dives from the hotel and we were in really small groups (4 was the most). Their gear was pretty new too. Doing it over again, I wouldnt bring my own gear, Id just rent from them. When the dive is over, you get off the boat and go have a beer at the hotel bar while they handle all the gear. Loved that.

Well worth it. We will be using them when we go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just spent 7 days a the resort, and let me tell you it was great. The staff were realy good, nothing was a problem. The dive opetator did everything they could to help me out, I was diving with another operator not a problem they arranged transport for me and I then did a couple of dives with them as well. They are out of town about 10 mon's but thats note an issue. Food was great and he rooms were very good. Go there I have stayed in other resorts in Santo and this is as good if not better and there is no crowding.
Leigh