“Best place in Santo, though not many options”

Bokissa Private Island Resort
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Espiritu Santo
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We stayed at Bokissa after researching all of the resorts in Santo. First off, the resort is not your typical 5 star...in Vanuatu I find it hard to believe that anyone could live up to a 5 star rating as things so often go wrong. However we are pretty relaxed and this did not bother us. If you are the type of traveller where things must be perfect...give Santo a miss. That said, I found less went wrong at Bokissa than many other places. We spoke to people that stayed at multiple resorts on Santo (and we visited a couple of the other island ones for meals) and found that our views were shared by them as well. Bokissa is where you will get some of the best (consistent) food, definitely the best snorkelling, and also service. Do not get me wrong, I am not convinced that it is all worth the high price tag, but it is a lovely place nonetheless and we enjoyed Vanuatu in particular. I would also note that we preferred Santo to Vila - we like to do activities and see the culture and we felt this was more possible on Santo than in Vila.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 27, 2009

Bokissa Island. What an amazing place. 25 of us went to Bokissa for a week to celebrate my 50th birthday in September 2009. I will remember this trip for the rest of my life. The scuba diving, snorkeling, game fishing and just laying in the sun. Two of us were already qualified divers. Three more have gone on to become qualified divers. Our plan is to return in the New Year for an intensive dive week. I would recommend this island to anybody.
We have spent a couple of weeks each year on an island in Fiji. Would we go to Fiji again? No.
Our choice would be Bokissa over anywhere else. A great place with great people.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank watchco
Reviewed September 18, 2009

so we were in port villa for a week and loved it, thought we might get away to a private island with blue waters and golden sand. We get there- monsoon whether- rained everyday & grey skies, we were the only 2 guests on the island!!- very depressing and boring- we went out of our minds, dull tasteless food- we also got a tummy bug, nothing to do, old styled rooms, crappy bathrooms. After a day of depression we wanted to go back to villa. THE BEACH HAS CHANGED over the years, theres no stretch of sand. ITS ALL ROCKS!cant go in the water, unless u want bruises from the rocks being carried by the waves.Rubbish everywhere after the storms, no one at the pool bar.The management refused to refund any of the money we paid for the 5 nights and for all the meals included, so all our money was stuck there, just to stop going insane, we left after 2 nights. dont go there, its depressing.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank youngCouple2getAway
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We spent a very happy and relaxing week at Bokissa. I loved the beach, the clear waters and the fantastic snorkelling. The pool looked very nice too but with the sea right infront of our fare, I choose to swim and snorkel right there. Loved the super-sized hammocks everywhere and spent a few hours lazing in one with a good book (the resort had a great array of books one could borrow too).

We had a large fare which was clean, comfortable and spacious - and did I mention the lovely view? Every evening, we'd sit on our private deck and watch the sun set behind the neighbouring island. The food was great. The staff were quiet and shy but always friendly and ready to help. The whole atmosphere was quiet, laid back and relaxed so, while I had shoes with me, I only wore jandals the entire time.

I liked having the choice of romantic tables for 2 or the one-dining table approach which allowed opportunity for friendly dinnertime chat.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank akiwi99
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed for 5 nights and loved every minute of it. We found the property through reading about it on the Getaway website (http://getaway.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=55821).

The place was a wonderful opportunity to sit back and relax, there were no hassles and no interruptions. The keeys around the island are great and the kayaking expedition along the Malo River is definitely worth doing.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We were after a luxury island retreat but instead got a 3 star resort with bonus gastro.
Other posts on this site confirm that this resort is very overpriced and by no means eco. We were 1 of only 2 couples on the island and it was unfortunately dull and boring. There is an entire village of staff on the island but service was ironically nowhere to be found, the pool area and bar were unattended the whole 3 days we were there. Breakfast was bland and basic, lunch and dinner were served regardless if we were there or not (thus the gastro?). Rooms are well outdated and very basic and the shower was either hot or cold but never in between. Spa did not work properly. Had the worst massage ever, I kid you not, poor woman was not properly trained and was stop starting the whole time, asking the other therapist (who was treating my partner) what to do next. In the end, the other therapist took over. ?? We had also prepaid for transfers but were transported to the airport by bus! I can go on and on but I hope you get my drift. Spend your well earnt cash elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jimmy2009
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I chose Bokissa as our destination for 5 nights after deciding to travel to Vanuatu on short notice and not getting into another resort.
From the time we were met by the boat to take us across to the island we were treated wonderfully and loved every minute of our holiday.
We were both tired after a hectic 12 months and justed wanted total relaxation - and it was delivered in spades!
our beachfront Fare' (the biggest on the island) was 2 metres from the beach and we were able to spend our time relaxing on the beach, walking around the island or just lounging on the sun lounges on our deck.
The food offered is first class with a good variety of options on the menu. 3 courses for dinner with freshly made soup each night, lobster, fish and beef which was all incredibly fresh and well presented.
there was the opportunity to have a few drinks at the happy hour each night before dinner and also amuse ourselves with pool or darts.
While we were there there was a maximum of 7 guests so we really felt like we had escaped and had the island to ourselves.
the owners and staff were extremely friendly and efficient, but also knew when we wanted some quiet time.
we were sad to leave this wonderful resort and will definitely be going back again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple