All reviews malo river lobster other guests day trip blue hole dive master night dive scuba diving absolute bliss air conditioner the great barrier reef snorkel straight marine life beachfront fare outside world hermit crabs great diving
Reviewed February 4, 2016

If you are reading this review you have probably also read the previous reviews outlining the good and the bad. There's a magic that weaves itself around you the longer you stay on this island. Yes, there are insects (the flies were really bad this January), dated room decor, small scratchy towels, slow Internet, no night life, and noisy air-con that's only on at night. There is also great food, blue blue water, a gorgeous pool, and plenty of time and space to just chill. And every day you spend in this beautiful location lulls you into an island pace - the stuff holiday dreams are made of.

The staff are inobtrusive - they stay in the background but are there to help when required. They will also think nothing of rushing down the beach to let you know there is a dugong in the water. They remember how you like your drinks, will fetch a towel for the pool, boil you an egg for breakfast and respect your privacy.

We were there to dive. A dive master (Lambi) was assigned to us for the ten days we were there. Anything we wanted to do was no problem. But give him an opportunity to decide where to go, and you won't be sorry. The diving is spectacular (the dive equipment less spectacular - BYO would be my suggestion) and Lambi was great fun, knowledgeable and obliging. He knows the wrecks like the back of his hand and every day comes up with some new delight.

Go to Bokissa. Leave your expectations on Espiritu. Stay a week or more. Book Lambi. And let this magical place weave itself into your senses.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 in front of the beach
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
5  Thank Gwen S
travreps, Director of Sales at Bokissa Private Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2016

Many thanks for your review Gwen - I do remember you from the booking process. I'm so pleased you fell under the Bokissa spell as most of our guests do and makes them return year after year. We will take on board your comments re maintenance - thankyou.
If you would like to be included on our data base for return guest offers just send me an email to sales@bokissa.vu. Kind regards. Julie Ingles.

Reviewed January 30, 2016 via mobile

I, too, feel compelled to review Bokissa Island after reading the laughable review, 'worst island resort etc'.
My partner and I are going back to this beautiful island for the fourth time in March and can't wait.
Bokissa resort is exactly what it claims to be. Comfortable, clean fares situated within a few metres of the beach, huge swimming pool, great, well stocked bar and communal areas which also overlook the reef.
What can't be adequately described is the wonderful, friendly and good natured staff; the warm, clear water and beautiful coral reef surrounding the island; the fresh food and a varied menu that caters for all palates; and the experience of total relaxation that this island offers.
The owners are exceptional and try their utmost to ensure guests are safe and any reasonable requests are catered for. We have been there at different times of year - no flies, mosquitos or hornets. Island tracks are marked and safe.
Thankfully we have never had to share this little piece of paradise with 'tools' like Savina and co.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ann C
travreps, Director of Sales at Bokissa Private Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2016

Many thanks for your review Ann - it is so very much appreciated that our gorgeous return guests have come to our defence and shared their experiences and opinions on our beautiful island and resort. We hope you continue to visit in the future.
Julie Ingles (sales and marketing).

Reviewed January 26, 2016 via mobile

Had two wonderful weeks and had the best time. I dived 8 amazing dives - my favourite the Henry Bernard and night dive. Absolutely amazing!
Saw three dugongs - two I spotted by myself.
Our fare had two loungers - I enjoyed reading, sleeping and just enjoying the sounds of the waves. Lol felt soooo good.
The rooms were great - how the staff seem able to get every grain of sound out each day is incredible. I loved the flowers that surprised us after they had cleaned.
Must say - the food was really good as well. I like my food and some days it was hard to decide.
We were a family group of 11 (youngest 15). One of our best holidays.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank meleese
Reviewed January 26, 2016

I just saw that post suggesting worst island... and i can assure you I was there with my family and their partners (11 of us) the same time this couple was. I am absolutely astounded with what they said because they implied to me they were having a fantastic time. On the boat on the way back from Luganville they were kissing and laughing. When they got off the boat, he went up to the Owner threatening screaming and yelling saying he had been a prisoner in a Saigon Prison... (Anyone who has ever been to Viet Nam like I have would know there hasn't been a Saigon since 1976 when it became Ho Chi Minh so he would have been in a prison 10 years before he was born). Two large men went to help Alan the Owner as the guy started shirt fronting Alan but they could see that Alan was diffusing the situation well by offering them anything they wanted even a free trip back to the mainland which really is only 25 minutes. ( I said at the time, I thought they just tried to get a free holiday by creating a scene). I never dance except at weddings when I am forced to whereas the News Years Eve party, fire works and live band made my wife keep me on the dance floor jumping up & down till 1am yet they stayed in their room all night. The only ones at the whole resort who didn't party on. You should have seen the look on everyone's face New Years Day early morning when the pair of them were running up the beach dragging their bags to throw them in a dingy as they did their runner.
I can prove to you nearly everything in that post was not true and I have no idea what they tried to achieve with that embarrassing post.
While we were there the same time as them, we also did the same Malo Island kayak tour which has crystal clear spring water. We also snorkeled the amazing reef and swam with the fish, sea turtles and dugongs several times. Twice they took us around to the other side of the 150 acre island with their boat and the boat Captain stayed (drifted) near us as we snorkeled back with other guests to the resort. (What they called a tinny is actually an 8 seat twin engine dive boat for deep sea diving). My wife and I walked two of the nature walks around and through Bokissa and didn't get bitten or stung. (Funny they never mentioned any of this to us when I spoke with them?) Bokissa took my son deep sea fishing and he caught a large tuna that their gourmet chef Graham cooked for us. They took the rest of my family for a number of scuba dives around ship wrecks, Million Dollar Point and through underwater caves. Most of us had a couple of relaxing massages, we did basket weaving classes, drank good kava at the kava hut with the locals, enjoyed pre dinner cocktails around the pool watching the glorious sun sets while nibbling on their coconut chips etc.
Let me tell you about the gourmet food- Like Savina, I do not eat much sea food. For the two weeks we were there my wife enjoyed the lobster 3 different nights and also the curries, while I really enjoyed having Export quality world famous Santo eye fillet and roast pork. My kids really enjoyed the hungies and Poulet fish. My wife and I also enjoyed a romantic 3 course candle lit dinner out over the water on the jetty. From memory the deserts we had were things like crepes in orange sauce, banana cream pie, lemon merang pie, banana split, fresh fruit salad and coconut cream pie. For breakfasts we had anything we wanted from the Continental to omelets, to bacon and eggs to spahetti on toast or whatever. I really like the home made museli, coffee and fresh cut fruit, papaya, watermelon, banana etc. Much to my embarrasment, my daughter woke up at 10:30 and asked them to cook a special breakfast for her and they did no questions asked other than what would she like?
We know that we could have asked to switch the air conditioners over during the day and they do when requested, the truth is the weather is so mild in Vanuatu we didn't feel a need to ask. We didn't use the air conditioners most nights either. But they are there if you want them.
The truth is we returned worn out and had to go back on our diets.
I would love to talk openly with anyone who would like to talk with me about my experiences with Bokissa on +61411722211 Scott Kilpatrick.
Oh by the way I forgot to mention we enjoy Bokissa so much like most others we have booked in a few times. For Christmas 2013 I was able to book the whole island for a week just for our work party of 27 people. I would not be doing that if I had ever heard of anyone having a bad experience there. No I do not have any ties with the resort, I am just an international Holiday traveller who knows a great time. Thank you Alan and Jan! Meleese and I cannot wait to get back and switch our phones off again to recharge our batteries (and romance Meleese recons).

Room Tip: All of the rooms are individual bungalo's on the beach. Try the kava at the kava hut... taste like mud but is a great experience.
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
5  Thank Scott K

Thank you Scott for taking the time to post this review - it is very much appreciated. Bokissa staff and management have been so upset by this whole incident - it is so heart warming to have our guests come to our defence and take the time to post their own experiences and opinions. thank you so much. Julie Ingles (Sales and Marketing).

Reviewed January 24, 2016

We spent 4 nights at Bokissa in January, which seemed the perfect length. The island is beautiful, the food was good, and it was very relaxing. We were there when there were high winds, and it was hard to snorkel from shore, and you couldn't do much kayaking. However, they set up a drift snorkel, taking us around the island to a calm spot for spectacular snorkeling. Beautiful reef. We also did the blue hole kayak trip, and that was a lot of fun. The pool was lovely and the hammocks were great to relax in. The staff are lovely, friendly people. It's a low key place, and getting a bit run down. We couldn't get snorkel fins in the right size for all of us, for example, and the rooms were a little tired. Still, we had a great time and really enjoyed the island...

Room Tip: All the cottages are right on the beach
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
4  Thank Bozotraveller
travreps, Director of Sales at Bokissa Private Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2016

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the gorgeous location and surroundings. If you would like to be included in any future return guest deals just send me an email to sales@bokissa.vu and we will include you in future offers.
Julie Ingles - Sales and Marketing Representative.