We had 5 nights at Bokissa Is from May 10th to 15th, 2013 and from the airport on arrival until we left the boat back in Luganville (for extra nights on Santo) we were looked after by the wonderful friendly staff of Bokissa. We were met at the airport, transferred to the boat and over to the island with no fuss and lots of friendly banter, where we met Jan at the wharf, how lovely is she! She had put up with the most inane of email questions from me with so much grace.
The whole property, island and staff are just wonderful. We stayed in Fare #13 right at the end away from the central building, where we were right on the beach. The fares are a main room with bathroom attached, and are very functional, with aircon available at night if you want. The sound of the ocean about 20 metres away was not at all hard to take. The king size beds are very comfortable but my only negative is the mattress is covered with a plastic feeling sheet that re-radiates body heat and night from under the usual sheets.
The rooms are spacious and have your own tea and coffee making gear for the early mornings sitting watching nothing much apart from a glorious view from your table and chairs outside the front door.
Just down from your door the ocean has small coral bommies a few metres from shore, with all manner of fish life that makes snorkelling a breeze, lion fish, cuttlefish and fish life galore. While I was unable to dive because of a recurrent ear problems, those that did were raving about the dives their dive crew offer. If you tire of the ocean for whatever reason the pool is there to wallow in to your hearts content.
The meals were great, all included and many reviewers have told of the joy of the food at Bokissa, I'll just add that the meals were superb in quantity and quality, and the idea of having most people eat together is a great one as you are there usually for only a few days it is good to get tips from the people that have been there longer. It is very social even for those that tend to be not so social, remembering the island only cater for a maximum of about 20 or so people. I was very impressed by the reasonable prices for drinks during the happy hour for the hour and a half prior to dinner, as this is a time when many resorts really gouge you.
Finally if you are there when Allan fires up the nakamal and offers kava prior to dinner don't miss it. I've had a bit of kava in the past and this was the best I've experienced by a country mile. Allan is a nice guy too (he'll be the one gracefully fixing your empty gas cylinder problem too) and spending a bit of time in the nakamal gives you a chance to interact socially with some of the local folks and they are the most wonderful people too.
In summary Bokissa is well worth a try, the managers are great and the staff fantastic, so friendly and laid back. The rooms are great and food top class. If you make friends with everyone and get onto island time as soon as you arrive you'll never regret going there.
I've attached 3 photos, one of the view from our front door, one of the lobster dinner (we had lobster twice in five nights) and one where I got in the water at fish feeding. Thanks for that Annie.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bokissa Private Island Resort is a 30 minute fast boat ride from Luganville which is the main town in Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu. Bokissa is 16 absolute beachfront bungalows on a beautiful island of 175 acres of pristine beaches and tropical rainforest. Walk out of your bungalow onto the sand and into the water - straight off the beach snorkelling and just 10-20 minutes from world famous wreck and reef diving. Bokissa's tariff includes return airport transfers and all meals during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bokissa Private Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bokissa Eco Island Hotel Espiritu Santo
- Bokissa Eco Island Santo
- Bokissa Private Island Resort Vanuatu/Espiritu Santo