Port Wine Guest House
  • Beachfront
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewswelcoming environmenttongan foodfelt like homedaily breakfastperfect placetongan staffwonderful hostsouter islandsfishluisataiaccommodationtownvavauwhalestimbertropical
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for the first 2 nights of our 8 day trip to Tonga thinking that we would rather spend most of the time near a beach. How wrong we were and how we wished we had just stayed at Port Wine the whole time. The rooms are wonderful, the people are warm and friendly and the location is perfect, within walking distance to great restaurants and all the activities. Thank you Tai for a wonderful stay. We will be back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

What can one add about the Port Wine? Possibly this - when we got to Tai's place, I hadn't seen my luggage for nearly a week - left in Sydney by the V airline. Tai's first response was to offer me a shirt so I could do some washing - ok, he wasn't wearing it at the time, but the sentiment was there. From then on, our stay was wonderful. We loved the breakfasts and the atmosphere that helped us meet many fascinating people.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

When I visited Tonga in 2011, a fortunate recommendation pointed me to Port Wine Guest House. In 2013 as I planned a return trip to Tonga, there was no question that I would again stay at Port Wine. And I again was more than pleased with every aspect of my visit!

Since my last visit, Tai has built two more fales tucked into the gardens and I stayed in one of those. Very comfortable accommodations, with full bath, a kitchen area with a sink, a beautiful outdoor area that wraps around the fale, and comfortable bedding. The little touches add to the experience, such as the custom stained glass work that Tai himself does.

Another new feature is the expanded common area, with lots of tables and chairs and a bar which should be finished soon. This area is right in the middle of the property, and is one of the nicest aspects of Port Wine. It is so easy to meet fellow travelers staying at Port Wine in this area, either at the delicious breakfast, or after a day of whale watching.

To me, Port Wine is one of those special places that make traveling a pleasure. Between the facilities and the warmth of Tai, his mother Luisa, and all of the staff, you won't find a more pleasant place to stay in Vava'u.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the new fales, if you can!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank phonebill
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Would definitely stay in Port Wine again when I return to Vava'u. Very warm welcome by the owner Tai and his family. Tai told us all about the tongan culture and he helped to arrange airport transfers and double check our flight time for us (as the flight would change the time without notice). Port wine is one of the very few accommodations run by the locals, and they are very friendly and kind! The room is simple and clean with wifi and hot water. We bought food at the market everyday at cooked in the kitchen ourselves. Location is good with supermarkets nearby, only a nice 10 minutes walk to the pier. Really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had a very enjoyable few weeks staying at Port Wine. Excellent breakfasts (fresh fruit and cinnamon rolls, mmmmm), excellent range of accommodation, excellent location, and an excellent host (Tai). Also wifi, which isn't available at much of the other accommodation in Vava'u. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo