“A Great Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Neiafu
Port Wine Guest House
Ranked #1 of 9 Neiafu B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Tai has set up a fantastic place to sit back and relax. The facilities accommodate for a number of different sleeping arrangements, from stand alone bungalow to rooms in the original house. With Tai having lived in Australia for many years it allows him to provide facilities that appeal to the western traveller, while at the same time preserving the Tongan culture. The breakfast's were great and with Tai's local knowledge I am sure that he can arrange nearly everything that you require while staying on Vava'u.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JKJP

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent 3 nights in the 'old' section which is actually the family home.
Tai, Luisa and staff are delightful and although it was a shared bathroom with 3 other rooms it was not a problem.
We met fellow travellers and enjoyed our evening meals with them.
Port Wine is well worth the price and the breakfast is excellent.
Tai provides an insight into Tongan life and if you are Australian ask about the Bottlebrush next to the gate.
Location is excellent as an easy walk to retaurants, supermarkets and whale watching boats.

Room Tip: If you choose the 'old' house ask for the front room as more ventilation.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chooch54
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I recently stayed at the Port Wine Guest House (bed & breakfast).

The hospitality was wonderful. True to Tongan style, I was warmly welcomed and treated in a gentle and kind manner. I loved that each morning Tai would open up a coconut for me to drink from and I could enjoy a buffet breakfast.

My room was lovely with deep wood furniture and white bedding. The whole house is great and I enjoyed that I could make my self a drink in the kitchen at any time and that there was unlimited filtered watered available for me to help myself to.

I was traveling solo and felt very safe staying inside the house and knowing Tai and his family live on the property.

The house is only a couple of minutes walk to the main street and markets and Tai was happy to organize a Taxi for longer trips.

I was sad to leave and could have easily stayed there for many weeks. Actually, I am already planning my next stay at Port Wine and I have only just returned home.

Thank you Tai and all his lovely staff.

Anita Horan (Professional Photographer-Sydney-Australia)

Room Tip: I stayed in the house but there are also separate buildings on the property that may suit families.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Anita H
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I spent 8 nights at a new house facing the lively little garden of Port Wine. There were clean towels and bed linen, thick mattress and strong hot water shower. I was impressed by the stained glass edged bathroom mirror and ceiling lampshade and leadlight with shapes of whales right above the door opening (some are the works of Tai). The kitchen there is my favourite - every morning, the long plain wooden table was delicately laid with breakfast of a variety of choice: coffee, milk, cereals, pastries, muffins, loaf of sliced bread, butter, jam, sliced papaya, water melon ... It is also a place where the lodgers chat and make friends with each other. Tai and his mom who are so gentle and considerate warmly received me. The neighbouring villages also let you have a glimpse of the lives of the locals. Port Wine is more than a place just for your luggage and a bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I spent 6 nights at Port Wine and had one of my best holidays ever. I met 3 other travelers and we all became a family. Tai and his Mom, Luisa, were warm, welcoming, generous, and gracious. Luisa gave us papayas and bananas every morning and invited us to celebrate a birthday with a feast and kava. The house was clean with hot water and the gardens were lovely. Once entering the main gate there is a feeling of coming home. Such good energy. A home away from home. I was sad to leave such a lovely place. I know I'll be returning to Tonga and I'm so happy to know that Port Wine will be there and Tai and Luisa and family will welcome me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Having heard wonderful reports of Port Wine, I was eager to see if it would live up to my friends' reviews. It did! Welcoming, quiet, and extremely clean the Guest House is also well located near the city center, yet apart from it. We stayed in the new building, and enjoyed the shared kitchen with the complementary breakfast. The grounds are all fenced, but you can wander the area and enjoy the plantings of trees, shrubs, and flowers. The large veranda is the ideal place to sit, read, and talk, as is the sitting area. There are 2 other fales, as well as the older building, so you have many options. Tai, the owner and host of this family business, was helpful and easy to talk to, arranging taxis and trips. He's also a talented artist, as you'll see in his stained glass creations and his tapa artwork. It's the place to stay when you're in Vava'u!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank twofortonga
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend two nights at Port Wine--what a delight! The accommodations are both beautiful and immaculate. Breakfast included the best poached egg I have ever encountered.The owner Tai has even has a handicapped accessible accommodation-something unique in Tonga. The guest house is just a block or so away from the center of town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nightingale45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neiafu
Vava'u Villa
0 mi away
No photo provided
Flying Annie Moa
#5 of 7 in Neiafu

Been to Port Wine Guest House? Share your experiences!