“Your Home in Vavau”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Neiafu
Port Wine Guest House
Ranked #1 of 9 Neiafu B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I spent 8 nights at a new house facing the lively little garden of Port Wine. There were clean towels and bed linen, thick mattress and strong hot water shower. I was impressed by the stained glass edged bathroom mirror and ceiling lampshade and leadlight with shapes of whales right above the door opening (some are the works of Tai). The kitchen there is my favourite - every morning, the long plain wooden table was delicately laid with breakfast of a variety of choice: coffee, milk, cereals, pastries, muffins, loaf of sliced bread, butter, jam, sliced papaya, water melon ... It is also a place where the lodgers chat and make friends with each other. Tai and his mom who are so gentle and considerate warmly received me. The neighbouring villages also let you have a glimpse of the lives of the locals. Port Wine is more than a place just for your luggage and a bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Sharon C
There are newer reviews for Port Wine Guest House

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I spent 6 nights at Port Wine and had one of my best holidays ever. I met 3 other travelers and we all became a family. Tai and his Mom, Luisa, were warm, welcoming, generous, and gracious. Luisa gave us papayas and bananas every morning and invited us to celebrate a birthday with a feast and kava. The house was clean with hot water and the gardens were lovely. Once entering the main gate there is a feeling of coming home. Such good energy. A home away from home. I was sad to leave such a lovely place. I know I'll be returning to Tonga and I'm so happy to know that Port Wine will be there and Tai and Luisa and family will welcome me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Having heard wonderful reports of Port Wine, I was eager to see if it would live up to my friends' reviews. It did! Welcoming, quiet, and extremely clean the Guest House is also well located near the city center, yet apart from it. We stayed in the new building, and enjoyed the shared kitchen with the complementary breakfast. The grounds are all fenced, but you can wander the area and enjoy the plantings of trees, shrubs, and flowers. The large veranda is the ideal place to sit, read, and talk, as is the sitting area. There are 2 other fales, as well as the older building, so you have many options. Tai, the owner and host of this family business, was helpful and easy to talk to, arranging taxis and trips. He's also a talented artist, as you'll see in his stained glass creations and his tapa artwork. It's the place to stay when you're in Vava'u!

1  Thank twofortonga
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend two nights at Port Wine--what a delight! The accommodations are both beautiful and immaculate. Breakfast included the best poached egg I have ever encountered.The owner Tai has even has a handicapped accessible accommodation-something unique in Tonga. The guest house is just a block or so away from the center of town.

2  Thank nightingale45
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We spent 6 nights at port wine and would highly recommend it. We went as a couple but it would be great fun as a group. Tai is fantastic and has got lots of great local tips. The house itself is beautiful and is kept very clean. Its super close to town with the added bonus of hot water which is hard to find at most places. Overall a lovely place and good value for money - you won't regret staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank kimstarnes
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was going to Vava'u for sailing, snorkeling, swimming with the whales, dining and enjoying the peace of this sleepy seaside town never expecting to meet such lovely people at a small family run inn that is big on hospitality, amenities, convenience and more while attracting a very nice clientele, too. "Mama Luisa" and Tai where always asking what we needed and made us feel at home right from the start. Everything was comfortable and quiet there and if you stayed "home" a day or two to read, watch a movie, sit in the garden, chat with other guests, make dinner or take a nap, well, you didn't feel like you were with strangers in a strange land at all. The best part of our trip was that we were able to stay in both of the houses on site, either of which are a really great value..after a mishap with the weather(our plane was cancelled and it only took one quick call to Portwine to have Tai save a room for us and have a taxi on the way before we could even ask!) It was really wonderful to be there and it accented our trip with a capital "A" for an amazing stay in Vava'u. There's a pretty garden, a wrap-around porch, an outdoor grill and patio and an ever-present air of Tongan 'ofa every day you stay. I've rebooked for another week at the holidays and will skip a trip to another island group-it was that memorable!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Port Wine Guest House with Tai and his family. We were made to feel so welcome, felt as if we were truly 'at home'! Tai and his family made us an Umu feast on our first night which was fantastic, great Tongan food served up under a big pergola in the centre of a beautiful garden full of herbs and plants of all sorts. The rooms are big and roomy, great bathrooms, you have full use of the lounge room, books, television (not that there was time for this...), the kitchen and other facilities. Breakfast was provided and included all sorts of cereals, eggs, fruit, bread, muffins - amazing value for money. We had washing done for us during our stay for a very reasonable price. The family are friendly, welcoming and absolutely delightful and I hope that I get a chance to come back here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner room of the main house, it faced the verandah and windows on both sides to c...