“CLEAN HOTEL.... WITH SOME POTENTIAL FOR MINOR IMPROVEMENTS”
Review of Hilltop Hotel

and 1 more site!
Hilltop Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Neiafu
Rockdale, Australia
“CLEAN HOTEL.... WITH SOME POTENTIAL FOR MINOR IMPROVEMENTS”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Arrived at the HILLTOP HOTEL on the 3rd August looking for alternative accommodation being uphappy at my present motel, lucky I was able to get a room after talking to the manager, at first i asked if I could take a look at the room before deciding to stay, the manager kindly offererd me one of the HARBOUR VIEW ROOMS at a discounted rate & asked for TOP 100- per night. My decision to call in to the HILLTOP HOTEL was only because I had called into JONES TRAVEL TOURS office to ask about any local tours in Vava'u & I decided to arrange for a local Taxi guy to take me out for the next day on a full day tour & was quoted TOP 100- [a very resonable fee], later I actually met the same Tour driver named SAIA & I decide to take a short tour around Vava'u for a few hours & he only charged me TOP 60-, during the tour & visiting some great area'a around Vava'u we ended up at MT TALAU NATIONAL PARK, after a stressful steep climb & dripping from the heat we both admired the beautiful views of the harbour & took many great photos, during our conversation the tour guide SAIA asked me where I was staying & I explained to him that I wasn't very happy staying at the TWIN VIEW MOTEL & he suggested the HILLTOP HOTEL & after my short tour had almost ended SAIA kindly offererd to take up to the HILLTOP HOTEL & he waited while i spoke to management & I agreed to stay, SAIA then again kindly offererd to return me to THE TWIN VIEW MOTEL & pack up my gear & inform the owner I had decided not to stay any longer, & then returned to the HILLTOP HOTEL, [ I had also arranged another full day tour around the Island for the following day with SAIA], .......anyway back to the HILLTOP HOTEL & I'm given room 1, with great harbour views, the A/C systen was a relief with the heat, the room was a average size, a comfortable double bed with a mosquito net around the bed [didn't get bitten once]... my only suggestion is about the shower system, it's a strange water system & wasting time sorting out the right TEMP, the shower recess is very slippery especially when you have to continue in walking in & out of the shower to maintain the right WATER TEMP & wasting a lot of water!... The manager & her family who helped support the business were all very friendly & made me feel very welcome, you were allowed to help yourself in the kitchen to make tea & coffee, B/fast wasn't included in the room rate, the morning B/fast was presented well with plenty of fruit toast cereal & a full cooked B/fast if requested [B/fast not expensive], the evenings were very quiet around the hotel & I spend a great deal of time talking to the family talking about my travels etc, I would take a stroll down into NEIAFU town & call into TROPICANA INTERNET CAFE & check my emails with the odd coffee, another place where many tourists ate was at THE SUNSET GRILL run by an american family & made all there customers very welcome, my worst order for a evening meal was at the MARINE CAFE a terrible burger that wasn't even cooked....... my only big regret in VAVA'U was on my first day on arrival I had booked a WHALE WATCHING TOUR with DOLPHIN PACIFIC DIVING & quoted TOP 275- & booked for the Friday 5th August, unfortunately the weather turned & it's hard to believe that on this day it rained very heavy & much cooler in temp....& even many local people & business operators said they hadn't known the weather turn this cool & therefore I just didn't turn up the the WHALE WATCHING TOUR.... with my history of motion sickness I didn't want to spoil my holiday.... I'm not really sure if the company would have cancelled the tour if I had turned up!...... Another place for a good evening meal is at the ITALIAN PIZZA RESTURANT, another interesting place to visit during the day is the local tourist information centre & they also sell local hand made gifts & the local market is worth visiting & getting a discounted price appears to be part of the fun in shopping! When your out at night time & happy to walk back to the HILLTOP HOTEL which will take approx 15-20min's, be warned it's a VERY VERY DARK ROAD & up a steep hill & I had a few problems trying to locate the hotel on my first evening..... I just stared at my hand & hoped! ...... I wish to also express my appreciation to SAIA the tour/taxi guide in making me feel so welcome in VAVA'U & showing me around this beautiful Island & during my day tour I treated SAIA to lunch at the TONGAN BEACH RESORT & very good food....... Sadly due to the turn in the weather during my last 36 hrs in VAVA'U I decided to change my air ticket & rtn to the mainland of TONGATAPU slightly earlier & flying with CHATHAMS PACIFIC..... also due to the heavy rain the management insisted I join her family on my last evening for the evening meal in the hotel, this was a very kind gesture & I will always remember these very kind people, paid my invoice the night before leaving & your able to use your C/Card for payment with a small c/c fee, overall TOP 300- for my 3 nights & I only paid TOP 50.70 for my 3 B/fasts with coffee or tea anytime from the kitchen & the small c/card fee included & I felt this is great value!... On Saturday 6th August SAIA turned up for my transfer to VAVA'U airport & I left the HILLTOP HOTEL at 7:30am for Vava'u airport & charged TOP 30- for my transfer, my flight back the mainland TONGATAPU took approx 45min's........ I would like to re-visit Vava'u again in the future & I'd like to wish everyone who I met in VAVA'U all the very very best & a big thanks for making me so welcome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Stephen N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Just reading the comments on The Hilltop Hotel, so I have to add my bit. We have stayed there several times over the past few years when visiting Neiafu. It is a really nice, relaxing and clean place to stay. So there were dogs and pigs down the quarry road ... hey this is a pacific island .. remember - and free range animals are everywhere. I can't recall hearing any disruptive noises at night (only the early morning church bells). We were treated really well (as one would expect from the lovely Tongan people) - and would definitely stay there again. Many thanks to the Hotel Manager, she was really helpful during our last visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Myself and some colleages stayed at the Hiltop and we enjoyed the hospitality and the scenery. The church bells and singing in the morning was great. Special thanks to Captain Lepa for the smooth sail checking out theouter islands of Vavau.
We are returning next year so stay on top Hilltop.
cheers, Semisi & colleagues from Sydney.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hilltop as the name suggests is on top of the hill. Have heard numerous complaints about the hill and the mention of pigs and dogs around. We didn't mind the walk up the hill, the view from our balcony was fantastic and worth the walk, as with the pigs and dogs, no worries. The rooms were always clean and the staff friendly. Town is only a 5minute walk down the road.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sammac_11
Denver, co
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We got to the hotel on a Sunday afternoon, after returning our charter boat to the Moorings.

Quite a nice hotel, clean, comfortable, a short walk to downtown for dinner.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayted 3 nights and would definitely return.

Totally reccommend Harbour view room, the view is not nice - IT'S AMAZING!! Our room was our peaceful haven we looked forward to returning after a full day out in the heat. Of course airconditioning was a plus but you will NOT find anywhere else on the island more breezier and cooler than from the balcony of your room. Grabbing a cold beer at the bar as we arrived....it was our favourite place to chill and unwind.

Hotel is only 6 rooms, so its quiet. Room is simple, spotlessly clean and shower is hot and pretty good in comparison. Shower pressure in Tonga seems to range from just a trickle to strong sprinkle :-) Staff were lovely and helpful.

Location was perfect as close to town. There are no public buses or shuttles, we'd see people walking in from lodges just out of town which would have been a good 20min walk in the heat!! A torch will come in handy if walking at night.

Town is a 10min walk from one end to the other. No great shopping but all the normal necessities you want on holiday. We were eally impressed with the array of cafes & restaurants for such a small place. The Vava'u Gig Guide is a weekly newsletter that lists all the eating places and whats happening - we found it helpful.

The Balcony does a great Sunday nite bbq, The Aquarium Cafe is good for lunch not so much dinner. The Giggling Whale is great for drinks, not so much meals. Mangoes & The Dancing Rooster were both good for dinner. Sunset Grill does yummy cheap bbq.

We tried renting a car which you could get cheapest at Pacific Rental for T55 a day, but they'd sold out. The Pua Hotel has SUV's @ T100 a day but also sold out. You did have to get temporary license to hire for T60 which we thought was rip off so flagged the idea.

Vava'u is beautiful, we will return for longer....oh fyi...on Sunday church bells all over town start ringing from before dawn and then every hour on the hour all day (or at least it seemed that). Didn't bother me, but hubby was not a happy camper re:ear plugs:-)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnauLahi
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I travelled with a group of 6 from Hong Kong to Vava'u, Tonga to go whale watching this year. We stayed at Mystic Sands for 5 nights but on the 6th night we had to move to Hilltop.

The rooms at Hilltop are much smaller than Mystic Sands. It had two twin beds, a desk and a closet. That didn't leave a lot of room for our bags but it did have a nice balcony area. The nicest thing about the room was the air conditioning but there were a lot of mosquitoes in the room so we spent a lot of time getting rid of them.

The bathroom was interesting. It didn't have enough light and the shower stall did not have a shower curtain. The shower's on/off switch was located on the water heater, so you had to reach up to switch on the water. I thought it was an interesting device because you had to step out of the shower stall to switch off the water.

The hotel is located on the top of the hill. To get to town it's a 10 minute walk. We walked to and from town but if you're worried about stray dogs or if you're carrying heavy bags you'll need a taxi to get back to Hilltop.

I prefer Mystic Sands to this hotel, probably because Mystic Sands is more spacious even though it's farther away from town.

The hotel kitchen serves breakfast but we didn't get to try it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Woodai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neiafu
Vava'u Villa
Tongan Beach Resort
Tongan Beach Resort
#5 of 10 in Neiafu
White Sands Beach Resort

Been to Hilltop Hotel? Share your experiences!