“Took great care of us”

Tongan Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Neiafu
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our family stayed at the Tongan Beach Resort before and after we went on a boating trip with Moorings. Shane and Helen did a great job of looking after us and their staff were excellent also. It was a relaxing start and end to our sailing holiday and we enjoyed staying there. We were travelling with another family and we stayed in a 3 room group which worked well. The new dock and slide were very popular with our children, as were the kayaks. The fish life around the resort was varied and interesting. Our rooms were clean and generously sized. Shane was very helpful and dropped us into town and took us shopping for provisions.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David R

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had 4 days recently at the Tongan Beach Resort. It's a great location with a beautiful view from the beach. Rooms are spacious and quite clean. The restaurant is a nice setting with plenty of area to sit and relax. Breakfast was always good. Coffee was the best I've had in Tonga. But evening meals were only average for what you paid.
Overall we would stay again at this resort. The service from staff could not be faulted.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was here in June with my wife as part of a group of 16 (our friend posted below). We had the most fabulous time at the Tongan Beach Resort. It was my first proper ‘beach’ holiday as I normally do city breaks. I didn’t know what to expect, but based on my time here I am keen for more, although the bar might have been set too high for future trips.

The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous (see my pics). Perfectly situated at the mouth of the harbour to watch the comings and goings and best of all, any of the dive and whale watching boats will pick up on the way (packed lunches available from the kitchen). The water around the resort is clear and lovely for snorkelling, although a short paddle (on the resorts kayaks) in either direction you can reach some really lovely spots. I spent a number of mornings on the pontoon watching the Long Toms and Trevally chasing down their breakfast and we were lucky enough to see a pod a whales in the middle of the harbour making their way out to sea.

The restaurant area is lovely with a number of different areas in which to dine - on the deck (under stars at night, umbrellas in the day), on the sand under the trees, inside if it’s raining, or in a shaded pontoon area adjoining the jetty. I had many an early morning coffee, or end of the day cocktail out there. Speaking of which - the wine and beer selection was good and prices were reasonable (which I wasn’t expecting) and the cocktails were to die for – Tongan Sunset was my favourite. The food is great, very reasonably priced, and the chef was very flexible – I had the breakfast omelette for dinner on one occasion. My one suggestion here, and only an issue for those staying more than a week – a daily special would be good, as I believe I had pretty much every meal off the menu after our time, LOL. My friend had her birthday while we were there and we celebrated it eating on the pontoon. The owners (Helen and Shane) and staff went the extra mile here – the pontoon was beautifully decorated (which they allowed the kids to help with), Helen made a beautiful cake, there was a band playing and the staff and band members sung her Happy Birthday and my friend and her hubby had a HUGE lobster dinner. An amazing night.

The rooms are basic but perfect for our needs, well kept, clean and comfortable. Each room has a safe and fridge as well as tea and coffee making facilities. There is AC, but we found we didn’t need it as we used the overhead fan and found this to be more than adequate. The fan had a nice side effect, and that was to drown out my only downer of the whole time: the crowing of a rooster (in the neighbouring property) at 2, 3, 5 and 7am. However after the first few days I gave it a scare and it altered its clock to match ours. Other facilities include bikes, snorkelling gear (adults and kids), petanque balls, a library, some board games and I know that Shane and Helen both talked about the changes coming, including a new entrance area, tapa cloth art made by the staff in each room, and the pool which was in the process of being put in as we were there.

On my normal type of holiday I think the thing that turns a great holiday into an amazing one is the people. What I am pleased to say that it was the same with this trip too. The staff at the Tongan Beach Resort made my trip. They were welcoming, helpful, kind, and had become, by the end of the trip, friends. But for people who want a quiet get away, they remained out of sight, but always handy should they be needed. Nothing is too much trouble for these guys, they were all wonderful, extremely friendly, great with our friends kids and so helpful to us. Shane had said that they do encourage this interaction and I truly believe it made our trip. For me a special commendation has to be made for Koleti. She is a jewel and her friendship will always be one of my fondest memories of this trip.
Malo

Room Tip: All seem to be fab.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alibnz
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Firstly, we're already planning our next trip to the resort in 3 years.
We had 7 lovely nights at the resort. The resort is a great base for your whale trips or fishing trips as the staff are very informative, helpful and they have their own jetty for pick ups.
We booked our whale swims before we left which worked out well and we booked 3. We can highly recommend Dolphin Pacific, which was refered to us by the resort before we left home.
The rooms are comfortable and clean and all overlook the bay. You can snorkel outside your room and we were hand feeding the fish under water on our last day- so much fun and theirs a good variety of fish to look at. The owners and staff were the highlights of this stay , they are the most friendliest down to earth people we have ever met. The staff can't do enough for you (gee they work hard) and the owners really make an effort to get to know their guests. I can't recall many places I've travelled to where on the last day I hug the staff and shed a tear saying goodbye, cant wait to see them all again. The food is fresh, delicious and well priced, with a good range of wine/beer or champayne to match. We had lobster and champayne one night after our first whale swim, the lobster was huge, delish and so cheap compared to Australia. The resort is an easy trip to the main centre and a cheap taxi ride. We also brought some lovely handmade gifts from the staffs families and getting them through customs was easy thanks to the owners advice (thanks Shane & Helen) note- spray with bug spray and put in a plastic bag. All good, cant wait to go back there, a great place to escape to and just relax. The other highlight was the genral atmosphere talking to fellow travellers exchanging whale trip storys. But you can go there anytime just to relax, snorkel and swim in their "new pool" Thankyou so much to all the staff that made us feel so happy. Lynne & Ian xx

Room Tip: room 11 was nice
1  Thank TheHancocks
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights and didn't find the owners very forthcoming with info on what is available to do while in the Vavau. It would be very helpful for their guests if there was a black board updated in the evenings - eg the Island night at Mangos (and they own it!), that the boat is available to take guests into town or to other Islands and the Sunday BBQ. There are no broucures available so you need to do your research before you get to the resort to save a trip into town. Because so much is closed on a Sunday the BBq at the resort is a good place for other travellers to meet up but I think the guests should be warned that the resort will be very busy, no beach chairs for resort guests, people right in front of your room and no spare tables in the bar. If you are not proactive you will be stuck at the resort unless you do some research before you get there - it just would have been helpful and more welcoming to have had some local advice and information.

On the upside the staff are lovely and very happy to help and we found the food great and reasonable priced. Our room was very clean and great to be right on the beach and interesting watching the boat traffic in and out of the harbour. We mostly enjoyed out stay and were not expecting a luxury resort and didn't want that but just left feeling a bit disappointed.

1  Thank Ginny58
helker1, Owner at Tongan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

I note the comments raised in this review. A very similar review is also below. The suggestion of an activities board is a good one and I am pleased to state that we acted upon this and built one after another guest (see review below) suggested it. Our activiites board is working well. I do need to point out that our conpendiums in the rooms outline various activies and ask guests to approach our front office for more help on this. Mango - We do own Mango restaurant in Neiafu however when these guests, (and the ones below who also mention it), were staying at the resort Mango was fully booked for one of the Tuesdays and the other Tuesday was cancelled out of respect for a death in one of our staffs families. Sunday BBQ - we do welcome outside guests for the day however on the particular Sunday mentioned in 2 reviews (again see the other review below) the additonal numbers were largely due to friends (off a super yacht) of one of our guests coming to spend Sunday with these guests at the resort. As owners we also invited 7 of our friends to join us for the day. I feel that in this review the guests have not considered the fact that our guests at that time were largely made up of a people here to swim with the whales, most of whom were away from the resort property most days apart from Sunday. We have sufficient chairs and tables to seat 90 diners, based on our records we had 56 guests and day visitors at the resort that day.
We are very conscience of our guests privacy however Tongan Beach is a resort with a capacity to sleep 36 guests all of whom are welcome to share the resort and 180 meters of beach. We will pay attention to day visitor numbers to ensure that our guests experience is not compromised.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have recently returned from a glorious 7 night stay at The Tongan Beach Resort in Va'vau. The resort was clean & tidy. Rooms were spacious & comfortable. Plenty of places to relax, the floating platform/deck overlooking the water was magnificent. Beautiful place to sit & have breakfast or dine in the evening. The resort owners Helen & Shane were friendly, accommodating & helpful. The staff were a pleasure & always had smiles on their faces. This is a great resort to visit with kids, our girls had a fabulous time and the beach was very safe. (They were in the process of putting in a large swimming pool while we were there, so if that is up and running now that is an added bonus to the resort)
Food was excellent, good variety & the Mango Restaurant is a must to visit, particularly on their traditional island night where entertainment & food is value for money. The flat whites on the island weren't bad too!!! especially if made by Shane the owner :)
Va'vau is truly a hidden paradise & from what we saw of other resorts/places to stay around the place, this was by far right up there with the best!!
We would have no hesitation in recommending this as a place to stay. We will forever have great memories of our family vacation to Va'vau & thank all the people who made up a part of this special trip.

The Latus

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent 3 nights in this resort in September 2011. Tonga was a part of our trip to South Pacific. The main reason for our stay at Vavau was humpback watching. We were lucky to make this unique experience and had the chance to snorkel with amazing humpbacks. This resort is a pleasant place especially when you dont plan to spend the whole time in the resort, but rather use it a base for your trips outside the resort. Accommodation is somewhat modest, but clean and cosy. There are 3 rooms next to each other, so in case your neighbours are noisy or have children, you cannot expect to have a quite. The beach is nothing extra, entrance to the sea is very uncomfortable and with stones. Though, people were very friendly there and the food was
delicious. However, the worst experience we made was that we "lost" some money at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

I note this recent review from guests who stayed 11 months ago. The information provided in this review is correct to a point however the accustaion of "lost money" was only made after the guests had checked out - fortunately this is a very rare event. I feel compelled to expand on this, the guest could not tell me what day it happened, only that the last time he saw the money was when he was at the bank earlier on his arrival day and prior to check in. We discussed the fact that he could have lost it either leaving the bank or in the taxi that he took to the resort. As he was extremely vague about the timing of this I could not determine if it even happened during his stay at the resort. The fact that it was only part of the whole amount of cash that he had in his wallet struck me as odd - if theft was involved i would think that a theif would take it all. I am disappointed with the accustaion when he was so uncertain of the circumstances surrounding the event.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Neiafu
Mandala Resort
2 mi away
Reef Resort
Reef Resort
#1 of 7 in Neiafu

Been to Tongan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!