“Great cheap stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tongatapu Island
Alibaba Guest House
Reviewed December 12, 2010

60t a night for a double room and breakfast. Room was fine. Had a netted window and a big fan in it which I left on for the night keeping the room cool and sleep great! About a km from the centre of town! Great location! Staff were friendly and helpful! Cheers ben!

• Stayed: December 2010
There are newer reviews for Alibaba Guest House

Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed at Alibaba one night and had the worst possible experience ever. We called them a couple of times to specifically request a private room with bathroom . When we arrived there, in the middle of the night, we learned that they had rented our room to other people who decided to extend their stay and had decided to placed us upstairs in a large bedroom with three double beds and no bathroom. The window nets were all damaged, the curtains were dirty, and did not cover the whole window... the bathroom was filthy and the shower was absolutely impossible to use.
The place was run down, dirty, noisy and there is a lot of rubbish in the area surrounding the guest house, which is not good for a dengue prone place.
I honestly cannot understand the positive reviews it has received.
My advice is: do not stay there....

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank Lichenz
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed with in Nuku’alofa at Ali Baba’s Guest House over New Years 2010. It is owned/managed by a lady named Veena. I think it may be the closest accommodation to the city.

Veena should be the Head Customer Service Manager of a giant international hotel chain or teaching a PhD class somewhere in Customer Service and Hospitality Management.

It is a small tragedy for Togna that women can’t own property, this woman might build you a resort tourist industry single handedly.

Tonga has some of the friendliest people in the world, a charming relaxed pace of life, rich culture, some of the best fruit I have tasted and beautiful scenery. The country has never been colonized. The Islands are a massively underrated romantic destination.

We stayed at two other places in Nuku’alofa, one a US$120 odd a night place on the waterfront and another backpackers. One we could not sleep for all the noise the other we could not wait to leave. Don’t make that mistake, go straight to Veena at Ali Baba’s Guest House.

I was a finance executive and enjoyed numerous conferences and 5 star resorts and hotels, then travelled independently to 100+ countries for 6 straight years. I have spent seven of my last ten years in hotels, guesthouses or hostels. I have never experienced customer service like this, not even in the US.

The problem with high level (usually expensive) personal service is it gets exhausting, everyone is so “nice” and always in your face. I have never seen the delicate equation between “service” and “peace” balanced so brilliantly. Veena would anticipate your every want and need before you knew you had it. The mother you always dreamed of, you could say.

- The breakfast were wonderful; best fruit salads and honey ever,
- The atmosphere was as friendly as you’d get anywhere, everyone was instant friends, facilitated no doubt by Veena’s wonderful energy
- Friendly animals to keep you company
- Great advice on ongoing travel
- My girlfriend got very sick just before we left. Veena was amazing!
- All the staff were wonderful
- Short walk to the city, closest accommodation I think
- SAFE area to stay, some of the popular accommodation’s in Nuku’alofa are NOT in particularly safe places! I'm 6'1, about 180, but Tongan's are enormous.
- So peaceful, close to but away from the noise of the main road.
- From memory Veena may have grow up in Australia and moved back.

When she dropped us at the ferry I tried to tip her about a nights rent. (which she deserved five times over. She almost saved our holiday with her kindness by looking after my girlfriend when she was sick) She almost took my tip it as an insult. She was “just doing her job”. I almost had to run away leaving her with the money for her to accept it.

My only complaint is that Veena’s hospitality was so wonderful I did not want to leave Nuku’alofa to see the rest of the treasures of Tonga and the Pacific Island countries. I really wanted to stay a few months in Veena's place and take a decent chunk out of my lengthy book reading wish list.

If my girlfriend didn't have to go back to work, I might still be there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Countries101
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Basic, but super clean and great hospitality .

Any question owner is very happy answer, and even has basic wifi. tops marks here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Stayed at Ali Baba's for a week in Dec 2009. The rooms were quite comfortable and clean. Very reasonable with a good breakfast include. Weena, the hostess was awesome! She caters to your every need day or night. A littl eoff the beaten path but well worth seeking out.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We stayed at Alibaba's for 3 nights and loved it. It had loads of character and homeliness akin to a homestay in the sense that it had a nice family-run atmosphere, whilst we had a nice spacious double bedroom room with ensuite which was kept very clean. The host Weena and her staff made every effort to ensure that we had a good time during our stay. Weena was particularly helpful and generous. She gave us lots of information and went the extra mile to accommodate us with our travel plans. The rooms were kept very clean and the breakfast varied day by day and was hearty. Unfortunately we only had 3 nights in Tonga in total and along with Toni's Island Tours (which is well worth it) and with Weena's help and suggestions as to what to do, we had an excellent cultural and culinary experience. We learned a lot from speaking to Weena, her staff, friends and family and felt like we had learned a lot particularly given we were only there for such a short time. We both wished we had stayed longer. The guesthouse has the cutest tiny little kitten and a friendly dog, which makes it feel like home from home. We would definitely return here.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonlovesBronte
Reviewed September 21, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at Ali Baba's based on the great review it got in the most recent Lonely Planet guide. Tonga as a whole is a lovely country, but we would have enjoyed it so much more if we hadn't been staying at Ali Baba's. The property is a large house divided into four or so rooms, some with their own bath, some shared. The room itself was fine, and had its own refrigerator, which is a plus. However, we were not able to sleep due to the loud dogs and roosters that surrounded the house. We also woke up the first morning to a terrible burning smell, which the owner said was the neighbors burning dead dogs. The smell was overwhelming and, while not his fault, he did nothing to alleviate it, or to help us get the smell out of our bed linens, towels and clothes, which all needed to be washed. The smell lingered for all three days that we were there, but we couldn't go elsewhere because we had paid in advance, in cash (as required) and he would not give us a refund. To get away from the guest house, we rented a car from Ben. He said it would be available for 24 hours for 50 panga. We were told the car would be no problem, but it arrived two hours late, causing us to have to cut out part of our plan for the day. Ben was nowhere to be found when we were having problems. The car also smelled terrible and was given to us completely empty of gas. As no one was around to ask about fuel, we filled up the tank and went on our way. In the morning, when we were getting ready to go out again, with the car and within our 24 hour period, he demanded the car back for another guest who had reserved it. He also refused to give us any money for the gas that remained in the car, saying that we shouldn't have taken it if it was empty. He then said he would give us some money for the fuel when we checked out, but when we checked out, he was no where to be found. His assistant, Weena, told us to get in the airport transport van and Ben would meet us at a stop half-way to the airport, where Ben had gone to change money for us. Needless to say, there was no stop. Finally, when we arrived at the airport, frustrated because we had been shorted $50 USD by Ben, the airport transporter demanded that we pay the 15 panga fare per person, even though we had paid for the return transport in cash, when we checked in, as Ben had asked. Of course, we had no proof of this because Ben had said that he was unable to give us a receipt when we checked in, but would give us one when we checked out. However, he was not around when we checked out, so we never got a receipt. I've emailed him several times to try to get a response about all this, but have received no response. Needless to say, I would not recommend this place, the whole experience really put a damper on our trip to Tonga.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank travelers1978