“Talented people”

Oholei Beach Resort Faiva Performance
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Loved it all. The show was great - spectacular and entertaining - and the food was typical Tonga fare - lu, roast pig, salads etc. It's a busy place and the atmosphere is friendly and fun. I would highly recommend this on any visit to Tonga.

1  Thank StretchieHuia

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We recently returned from Tonga where we visited family who are stationed there. While there we went to the Oholei Buffet Dinner / Hine Cave show. We booked direct and made our own way there so it was only TOP$40 per person. The stairs heading down to the beach where the meal and show are are quite steep so I'm not sure they would be great for elderly folk. Lovely beach and the building is very traditional. We listened to the local band for about 1.5 hours while having drinks then had a buffet style meal of traditional tongan fare including a whole roast suckling pig. The food was served on the bases of banana leaves which meant that anything more liquid poured out each end. The pork was delicious and it was interesting trying some of the traditional foods. We moved to the Hine Cave for the show which included a variety of dances and some fire dancing at the end, all accompanied by the traditional percussive beat common in the pacific islands.
The running of this resort is very much a local family affair and employ a lot of the local villagers. It was very personal and gave a really good insight into the Tongan way of life, and the traditional performing arts. We felt it was very good value for money.
Don't expect the finesse of cultural shows on neighbouring pacific islands such as Samoa, Cook islands, and Fiji who have much stronger tourist industries compared to Tonga. All the same we had an enjoyable evening and felt they had given us a taste of Tonga.

2  Thank Paul v
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Hi, recently came back from Tonga after spending 5 lovely days. We had a choice of 3 buffet/cultural shows to go to, and were advised to go to see Oholei Caves/Buffet Show. At TOP$60 each which included our transfers, we thought that was quite good and my partner and I and another couple from the resort we were staying went on a Friday night.
They had just had passengers from a Cruise Ship in that day for lunch/Show and I don't know if that was the problem, we were suppose to eat at 8pm, well we didn't eat until 8.45pm, we ordered cocktails which were expensive at TOP$20 and they were served in a coconut although my partner got his in a glass as we were told there were no more coconuts yet later on we saw other people getting their drinks in coconuts so that was bizarre.
The night started off terrible as our cocktails were tasteless and warm! When we asked for ice we were given large rectangular ice which my partner had to break down. The music and show atmosphere was good, but the food was terrible. Taro was dry and unedible, the purple kumara was lovely and the chicken with veges was ok, although there were hard gristle bits in it you had to watch out for. The Pork was tough and the salad was a few lettuce leaves and cucumber. I don't usually complain, but it wasn't 'umu' food, it felt like it was the leftovers from the lunch that day.
Really disappointing and I won't recommend it to people. We were advised there was a better show on the island but a bit too late. Inside the caves it was sweltering but not much you can do about that, I had seen better shows, but my partner it was his first time and he thought it was ok.

We were really looking forward as we had heard so many good things about it, but the food was appalling and would give it a miss. I hope they can approve on the standard of food.

Also the toilets were filthy and really bad, if they are having tourists there, they really need to make sure that toilets and bathrooms especially are cleaned!

2  Thank kimandsteve33
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had a good time at the Oholei Cave show, however the cocktails were $20 each which is a lot more expensive than anywhere else on the island.
The food was edible but not delicious.
We avoided the seafood as we were afraid of getting sick but nonetheless my wife awoke at 3am the next Moring to a 24hour food poisoning that caused her to vomit nonstop and was unable to enjoy the next 2 days of our holiday.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We booked through our accommodation, Heliala Holiday Lodge, who drove three couples out there in their van.
The dinner is first, it is a buffet and we encourage that you put your hand up to be the front of the line, as we were last and missed out on seconds.
However, the food is just amazing! You should definitely not pass on the octopus or the raw fish!
The cocktails are pricey $20 each, but they pack a punch! Basically straight alcohol, not for the faint of heart.
The show was so much fun, with the drumming and the fire dancing and the other kinds of dancing.
The setting is spectacular, even the bathrooms are built into the cliff with a sand floor! Just gorgeous. I couldnt take enough photos, I bet the place looks stunning during the day.
It was a wonderful final night in Tonga for us, we just wished we had time to come back to see the lovely big beach before we left.
A great night!